1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers interested in JVG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Apr 25, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I feel pretty confident in saying that JVG will not go to LA to coach.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It would be fitting seeing as we missed out on all the other coaching options. It would leave us to explore other options.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You would think the laker job would be Walton's to lose, since he's a former player and now has that GS mystique working for him.

I don't really get the love affair with JVG. Seems like people here always want to go backwards instead of forward. Always wanting to bring back former players and coaches.

All that being said, I think we should hire Mario Elie.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Is Elie ready to be a head coach? You know he'd bring toughness and a take no sh-t attitude to the sidelines. Amazingly, he's only 2 years younger than JVG.

5. ima_drummer2k

I was being facetious. Sort of.... :)

6. count_dough-ku

Maybe you're joking, but his name has been thrown around over the last few years. He's coached under Pop(albeit I believe only one season). He's been an assistant elsewhere too. And he obviously has a history with this organization, is a fan favorite, and has 2 1/2 championship rings.

The head coaching experience isn't there. But there's nothing else lacking on that resume. If Harden won't at least give him a modicum of respect, then he may be uncoachable.

My main concern with Elie is just the uncertainty of whether or not he'd be an effective head coach. But you never know til you try. Who the hell ever thought Rudy T would turn out the way he did til he actually took the job?

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What about Cassell? Is he ready to be a head coach? He's been an assistant for some time.

8. ima_drummer2k

I agree with all of this, which is why I said "sort of." Hell, Kerr wasn't even an assistant before GS hired him as a head coach. And like you said, Rudy was just an interim hire until he took that team to the playoffs and was hired full time.

I'd be happy with Sam as the HC and Mario as an assistant.

9. count_dough-ku

Cassell is similar to Elie. Former Rocket, 3 rings, tough competitor who thrived under pressure, and has spent several years as an assistant coach. I still have trouble understanding a damn word he says when he speaks, but it wouldn't be a bad hire if Les and Morey intend to find their next head coach from the assistant ranks.

10. ibm

ibm Member

so that's not saying a lot. still dont understand about this thibs mania.

11. malakas

malakas Member

I have read very good words about Indianas assistant.
    Well..you dont understand the appeal of Thibs and you dont understand the appeal of Bud. For who exactly you understand the appeal? Only carlisle and Pop?

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what in gods name do you know about messina that he's shown you in his 2 years with the spurs that makes you think he's the next coming? you're just as clueless as anyone else, as is anybody who thinks they have the metrics on hand to accurately evaluate short-tenured assistant coaches.

quick - what's his strongest attributes? how many of the spurs wins do you attribute to him??

13. Fantasma Negro

THe only way I see him shaking the Rox for L.A is if the lakers give him a Doc Rivers /SVG deal in which he's coach, president and head of personnel. I don't see the Buss family giving anyone that much control

14. ibm

ibm Member

is it possible that the ongoing playoffs not only cost us a pick but a good hc as well?

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Which good coach have we lost?

Tom Thibodeau? He was never getting full control here.
    Scott Brooks?
    Kenny Atkinson?

Or are you saying after going 41-41, losing 1-4(or 2-4) to Golden State, they're a less attractive option?

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

We'd have the ugliest coach in the world, though. ... Sorry, yeah, i'd be okay with him being the HC.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

http://www.nba.com/spurs/ettore-messinas-journey-spurs

He's a European Legend. Everywhere he has gone has been a winner. 25 Championships under his belt. This includes 4 Euro League, 4 Italian League and 5 Russian League Championships. You don't win that much without being a skilled coach. He was hand selected by Pop to come to the Spurs. He has a keen eye for talent, recognizing Manu's skill before anyone else. I don't know why you can just state that there is no data on the man when there are years and years of data showing that Messina is one of the world's finest basketball minds.

He was always my top choice for coach, but I never thought there was much shot of him joining the team.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Just so ppl now about messina. His cska teams have had a huge budget much more than every other russian teams and more than their euroleague opponents. There is no salary cap. So even losing some of those euroleague titles was a big dissapointment. Losing the russian championships wasnt even an option.

I quite liked him tho. Much much more than Blatt.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yeah, Spurs fans also think Messina is quite terrible at rotations when he coached a couple games instead of Pop earlier in the season. Buyer beware.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't mind JVG because this.

- He preaches defense. His entire coaching tree is made up of defensive coaches. We'll get to find out if Harden our franchise player is capable of playing defense. If he is trust me, JVG will get it out of him. Even while he's commentating he'll throw out defensive ideas and while they may sound silly at times the fact that in the middle of watching a game he's thinking about what adjustments can be made is pretty JVG.

- I think offensively we will be fine. If JVG can get a great defense out of this team then relying on Harden and threes makes sense. I also think think one thing JVG does well is milk players.

All in all JVG is a coach that preaches discipline. People wanted Thibs, well JVG was his mentor. Clifford another JVG protege and Mike Malone...all good coaches IMO.