1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking 3-Point Philosophy & Rocket Prospects w/ RGV Coach Nevada Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5601/vipers-coach-nevada-smith/

This is a shorter pod (about 13 minutes) than usual. The original plan was to have the interview as the first part and then talk some Rockets, but I didn't want to combine the two after last night. We'll talk about some of the problems in the next podcast.

Smith does talk about Isaiah Canaan, Robert Covington and Troy Daniels in the podcast.

1 person likes this.
  2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

GIVING THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!!

GOOD WORK GUYS

3. LAC

LAC Member

Thanks Clutch

4. chandlerbang21

Rockets need to stop this 3pt obsession and get some versatile players

5. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Nice podcast.

Hope Canaan, Covington and Daniels continue to develop and gain confidence at the RGV and be ready when they're called on to contribute.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not sure I understand this exactly. Two guys who attack the basket (Lin, Parsons) are out with injury.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Excellent job, Clutch! Great questions and honest answers.

You really should Sticky this thread. I think it's gotten lost among the myriad sub-par conversations on the BBS lately.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Of course, the Vipers play against inferior opposition, but I would be interested to find out how the Vipers will respond if the 3s do not fall. Because that's what the Rockets are struggling with.

Also I don't think they have a problem with turnovers. Maybe the Rockets can learn a thing or two from them.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not seen the last couple of RGV games, but I am convinced that James88 wants Nevada Smith as Lin's personal shooting coach.

I would love to see the Rockets have the guys that can stretch the defense the way RGV does. Dwight might actually be able to post up or at the very least be much more effective in pick and roll game.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good interview Clutch. Thanks.

I think its safe to say that based on the syle of players that the Rockets love to find, I dont think Smith is going to have to adjust his style of play that much even though he says that he will adjust to the players he has.

One of the more interesting things he said was pointing towards Canaan & Covington's defensive awareness as key issues to work on. Said he has a tendency to gamble a little bit which is a little scary seeing as the Rockets have such a huge weakness with their guards playing such poor perimeter defense.

I wonder if that's something that the coaches & FO will wait longer on in order to bring him up, or if they will be a little more accepting than usual given the injuries the Rockets have had & their usual call ups after the trade deadline. Usually the Rockets bring up their rookies around mid-season to get NBA PT, but in this case I'm wondering if they stay down longer than usual or have a difficult time ever making it up in the first place given how and where the Rockets are struggling right now.

#10 dobro1229, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  11. StandontheLake

So, this guy might be one of our assistant coaches a year from now, if Sampson or Finch get a head coaching job?

He has a charismatic name.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Boys need some time but I wish we had those guys well at disposal.

The season was going to be very long. One or two rookies stepping up would be great

13. NotChandlerParsons

Great interview, thanks Clutch. One of the more interesting sports hires this year and it seems to be paying off.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I loved this interview Clutch. Nevada (what a great name) seems like he is a natural fit as an assistant coach for the Rockets. Just goes to show how deep Morey will search for visionary coaching talent. The Rockets roster is so stacked it may be a while before Covington and Canaan see the NBA, but that is OK. Maybe they will appear in the next 18 months as fully NBA ready players. At the rim, defense and corner threes, in that order is a ticket to the chip.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think Rockets fans overestimate the reliance of 3 pointers by the Rockets. So far this year, the Rockets are 9-2 when they shoot over 35% from 3pt line. And they're 5-5 in games shooting under that. I use 35% because it's kind of a nice "good enough" mark. League average is about 36%.

5-5 indeed is not good. But every team's record suffers when they shoot badly. This applies to teams that shoot 20 footers instead of 3s too. It's not like the Rockets are auto-loss when they shoot badly. On the flip side, the Rockets are basically unstoppable when they can shoot the 3 at simply league average efficiency.