1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drinking and Driving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Simbaldo

Simbaldo New Member

Never a good combination. My best friend, who is actually very smart (works in a scientist group right now) always told me he can drive as good when he is drunk. Obviously I would never let him drive, but the point is that even smart people underestimate the influence of alcohol while driving.

2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I'm good bro, seat belts and airbags DO save lives. Wear it..RIP to those lost, really sad.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This wrongway driving happens a lot more often than people think. I've heard it happen on Dallas freeways a few times. People that do it are more often than not, drunk.

4. body slam

body slam Member

One of my cousins was drinking and driving. Ended up on the wrong side of 290. Officer saw him turn the wrong way on to the feeder and up the exit ramp. Luckily there was no one else on the road and they stop him before something happened. My cousin was clearly in the wrong and this would have been DWI #3. He lawyered up and $20,000 later it all went away.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

A girl I went to school with died on 45 from this same scenario. She was going up a feeder ramp and someone was exiting the wrong way, or vice versa... can't remember.

6. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

7. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Man that sucks for both families. I'd hate to live with that on my conscious for the rest of my life.

Houstunna likes this.
  8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

No I don't think we have all been there if you have the keys you should take responsibility and not drink it's really not hat hard... if you are out drinking you know your going to have to get home so plan before hand.

I have no sympathy drunk drivers

R0ckets03 likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

How many years of prison would you trade for a clear conscious ;)

10. NateNate

NateNate Member

I bet if you polled everyone on this site and they answered honestly, a VERY high percentage would answer yes to drinking and driving at least once in their life (including me). Of course, if you don't drink at all that's different. It sucks cause good people can make this very mistake. You don't have to be some evil devil to make a mistake like this.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

very unfortunate.

i don't drink and i don't let people i know drive drunk. in fact I'm always the one they call in the middle of the night to pick them up, while other times I'm the designated driver. it sucks and i hated it, but hearing stuff like this makes it all worth while as i might have prevented tragedy, you never know.

I've seen the destruction drunk drivers do to families. not something to play with.

hope justice is served for this case. be careful out there on the road brehs.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Not really familiar with the legal system in this area, but why is this guy being sentenced now for a crime from 2015? Was this guy just walking around free this whole time?

13. likestohypeguy

Not uncommon especially for felony cases to take years to resolve, more so when they go to trial. He was walking around free in the meantime because he was out on bond.

Drunk driving is a violent crime. Probably should have more serious consequences for even first time offenders than exist now. The excuse of "i was too drunk to make a rational/conscious decision" doesn't help if for instance if you go out in a public place and discharge a firearm in the air, even if no one got hurt.

Make mandatory prison time for first time offenders, there'd be a small fraction of dwi's we have now. They'll never go away completely ofc even if it were death penalty.

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I unfortunately can say I have driven drunk twice. At the time I justified it as an easy drive less than 5 minutes away and mainly down one straight road. I now realise just how idiotic I was for putting others lives at risk.

At the time I wasn't happy I was pulled over and breath tested that second time, taken back to the station, lost my licence as well as having my future Army career put in doubt - but I often think back to it as being a huge blessing because I was not allowed to get into the position your friend is in. I know if I wasn't caught it would have continued to happen.

I was made to go to a 6 week driving rehabilitation type class one night a week after work, and to this day never forget the time a father came into the class to describe how one New Years night he received the news a drunk driver had killed his daughter.

I was disgusted with myself for what I'd done because it had the potential to end in that way. I am now vehemently against anyone in my general vicinity leaving to drive home even after two drinks these days.

It is a terrible position your friend is in, but they put themselves in that decision (I can't judge him) and unfortunately now have to live with the consequences.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

exactly. there's literally no difference between what this guy did and what anybody who has received a DWI did, or, what anybody who has driven drunk and not got caught did.

it's purely a matter of luck. this guy had the unluckiest outcome of the exact same crime that all of the above committed.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

17. Buck Turgidson

We, here in the United States, have a thing called "due process". Learn it, know it, live it.