1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Playoff Team Plays The Way You'd Like To See The Rockets Play?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, Apr 26, 2003.

Tags:
?

Which playoff team's style of play would you most want the Rockets to emulate, and wh

Poll closed Jun 4, 2003.
  1. Kings

48 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. Mavs

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Spurs

28 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Jazz

13 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Pistons

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Suns

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. Lakers

13 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Pacers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sixers

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Others ( Magic,T-Wolves etc..please specify.)

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Not how well they play, but the way they play is the source of the question asked. Please give your reasons for choosing the teams you do...and please try and keep the basic talent we have in mind. If your answer is premised on one move, like moving Mobley, fair enough...but if it's " Trade the whole team and play like _______!, don't bother.

Peace

JAG

#1 MacBeth, Apr 26, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2003
  2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

this is a great post...
    but in order for the Rockets to be truely sucessful.
    They will have to develope their own style of play with the stars and roleplayers that they posses.
    We have some players with some unique talent, namely Yao Ming and Francis, and I think when they play at their highest level with the right teammates, it will be like nothing we have witnessed before.

"The hardest thing for the Rockets to do now, is realize that Yao Ming is the best guy on the team"-Kenny Smith

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

The Pistons, yes I know they're down 2 - 1 to the Magics right now but man you just got to love the old school defense win the game attitudes. As much as you hate the iso and our offense, don't forget we still can score pretty well (at least before Larry Smith took over) and its our defense that hurt us. I still don't think cat's the whole problem rather, EG and whoever we have at sf, aswell as Steve's fault that we don't win against lower echelon teams.

4. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Oh, I agree..but when all is said and done, the elements of which team playing right now would you most want to incoporate into the Rockets system, and why?

5. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Of course Lakers (minus the ref bias) or Spurs. The way they play is proven championship winning way.

Who voted for Suns BTW? Their style of play and their personnel for that matter are never going to win any championship.

You prefer exciting and flashy dunks to rings?! :rolleyes:

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Lakers.

i.e. Dump It Down To The Big Guy.

7. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

i choose the jazz why? because they play hard nosed d and share the ball everybody moves with out the ball the back door cuts. but without the flops though;)

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i think the lakers is he obvious example to follow, great center (if yao becomes one) and great sg (assuming we're moving steve). get some 3 point shooters, let mix for a while, watch rise to greatness, see titles come rolling in.

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Mavs, because they play without fear!

The Rockets are scared of them.

The Mavs never give up, and if the Rockets would play them they would get a dose of "think you got the Mavs down, and they come back and win the game!"

The Mavs are one of the few teams that Rockets stop playing hard in the 3rd quarter.

The Rockets make a few great plays against the Mavs and then think they got the game won.
    Before the fat lady has sung! The Rockets need to stop doing that! So, the playoffs would be a great place to learn how to "never give up."

It's funny too that we never underestimate the Lakers, but we always underestimate the Mavs.

10. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

DavidS, Mavs basketball is not going to win you any rings. Mavs basketball would require moving Yao to the 3 pt line. You want that?

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Yao is too good of a passer to lump in the low block, get him to the HIGH POST

someone teach our players to BACKCUT!!!!

12. DavidS

??? HUH ???

You didn't read my post right.

13. Sane

Sane Member

Well, I hate the Mavs and their style too, but they're the only team up 3-0 right now, and against the Blazers.

I'd like to play like the Rockets. Really, I don't feel there's any team that has a systen that would fit Steve and Yao.

14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Atleast they should play defense like the Pistons.

15. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

You mean like the way they play without fear against the Lakers and Kings??

16. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Spurs. (Minny is similar probably.)

Because of:
    Unselfish versatile low-post threat.
    Interior defense + great ball-hawking.
    Teammates cut/hustle all the time.
    Passers look for and usually find the cutters.
    Effective fast break because of the above three attributes.

The last three (possibly four) are a bit of a problem for us at the moment.

We are not as good as shooters as the Mavs (who are?), and we don't have the star power of LA, so there's little point in trying to win w/ those styles.

17. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

SPURS MAN.

DEFINITELY SPURS.

They should be our model.

MAN.

They have Tim Duncan...we have Yao Ming.

Of course...but we have Steve Francis too.

A mixture of the Spurs offense and Lakers offense.

With Pistons' or Spurs' defense! Especially Spurs...since they have two big men. We do too. And they don't really have great guards...

Anyways...we should follow Spurs' style...but be a little original.

18. DavidS

No, like the way they play agains the Rockets.

It's kinda of a toss up. I like the fire the Mavs play, but the offense the Kings play.

But like someone else said, I'm not sure we have the collective BB-IQ to play like Sac.

Maybe, someday we can play like the Sprus type offense, with the Mavs determination.

#18 DavidS, Apr 26, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2003
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I voted Mavs because I think that is the style the Rockets would like to play. I don't think the Rockets have the right people to run Sacremento's offense, though I think that is the best of the bunch.

DD

20. pchan

pchan Member

I pick T-wolves... but I have to be honest.. I haven't "really" watch the other teams that much. I watch some kings games.. and mav games.. and some wizard games.. and that's about it.

The lakers literally beat the stuffing out of the T-wolves the first game.. at target center, where the t-wolves had the 2nd best home record all season.. it looked like they had no chance.

Then, they won game 2 convincingly..

Then, there was the infamous game 3. With all the horrible calls in such a big game for them.. being up by 5 with less than a min, and had the lakers came back to tie it.. then lose garnett in the first min of OT, and still won the game.

it would have been understandable for them to just lose composure and call it quit... but they hang in there and follow the game plan.. that's something.

If only the rox played with that kind of discipline and resilience.. actually, I think the rox had some resiliences, but the discipline and composure are definately not there right now.