1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have NBA league pass?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockpileindisma, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rockpileindisma

I live in Lubbock and I am trying to watch as many rocket games as I can. Also I would like to be able to watch any match up I wanted to. I was wondering if anyone has used this service and if so what platform or device? I have an xbox 360, xbox one, and aan apple tv so I hope it works on one of those still. Also how is the quality? does it skip around? if so is it just for a little bit or unwatchable?

2. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

I have used NBA League pass the last few years. It's pretty awesome and I highly recommend it. You will be blacked out any games that are on NBATV Channel (it felt like we had a lot more last year compared to the year before, but that might not be true), local broadcasts, or national broadcasts. I don't think you'd be in local range (I'm in los angeles, so I don't really know), but even if you are, I would think you could use something like hola (or another vpn) to mask your location on login.

Xbox is partners with NBA, so you should be able to use that device.

Xbox One

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I get it for TV and PS4.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You are always in a local range. I live in Montana, and Jazz games are blacked out because that is my "home" team, even though Utah is 2 states away. Probably in Lubbock, the home team would be Spurs or Dallas.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I've loved league pass. The only thing that pisses me off is watching Rockets vs. Blazers because I have to deal with the blazer announcers. Also, it doesn't work on campus for me because it wont work if you're behind a proxy. For home use it is great though. I think this year I'm going to buy league pass for TV and streaming.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I love League Pass. I always hear people have problems with it, but it's worked fine for me. I know a lot of people like Ballstreams, but it seems sketchy to me, so I just roll with League Pass.

They added a feature last year where you can choose which broadcasting team you want to listen to.

1 person likes this.
  8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Because I'm in Eugene, I get it blacked out so I have to watch it on CSN up here. It makes me miss the Phoenix announcers of AZ. Almost...

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh, I see. Yeah same for me with Hawks games.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

I live in Canada, mainly any relevant game is blocked

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Living outside of Houston and being a Rockets fan you will love it (no blackouts, great picture quality, rarely any tech issues). Living inside the Houston area its questionable given blackout restrictions.

Just FYI though- Preseason isn't carried by league pass broadband or tv. NBATV shows alot of the preseason, but you will miss the first few Rockets preseason games.

The solution I have found to that is to pay for the month of October for Ballstreams.net. Its probably not a legal website by any stretch, but the quality is almost on par with league pass broadband, and they show everything.

NBA league pass typically decides to start picking up preseason game late in the month for some wierd reason (not sure why they wait, but they it doesn't seem like a priority of theirs).

If you are debating whether or not to get just the broadband, or to get the full TV/Broadband package, I'd say spend the extra 40 bucks or so on the full package. That way you can DVR games and you never lose access. Just the other day, I was wondering if I had a bad memory or everyone is just losing their minds and went back and watched the games the Rockets played against Minny & Rubio. And that reconfirmed my suspicion that Ricky Rubio does in fact suck, and Pat Beverley clearly outplayed him in their matchups last year.

You can't do that with Broadband. They cut you off after the season is over.

Anyways... hope that helps. Yes its good stuff, its just pretty damn expensive.

12. Sandi

Sandi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NBA League Pass is Great!

I have had League Pass since it first became available here in Austin many years ago. Spurs games are blacked out...but they are available on another channel if you really want to watch the Spurs. Of course, that other channel comes in handy if they are playing the Rockets....just have to endure the Spurs announcers. League Pass is great....and for many of the games, you will have a choice about whose broadcast you want to watch...Rockets announcers or other teams announcers. You will always get Houston announcers with home games.

13. TheresTheDagger

I also live in Montana and have NBA league pass for the past 2 years. The first year, I had it with my cable company. The pluses of having it with cable is not having streaming issues. The minus (for me) was that my crappy cable provider didn't offer it in HD.

In year 2 (last year), I couldn't even get it through my cable provider because it changed when it was purchased by Charter and they don't provide NBA league pass as an option (can you believe that?). Therefore, last year I was forced to get NBA League pass online. I actually liked it since you can "pause" live games and the picture quality was better for me than the previous year at 720p rather than SD. (this probably wouldn't be the case for you since your television provider isn't completely stupid like mine is).

The streaming issues pop up from time to time, but I've learned how to fix those for the most part and I really like the ability to pause, watch recorded games, ability to choose home or away broadcast was added last year which is nice since I prefer to hear Bill, Bull and Clyde. But then again, sometimes its good to hear other broadcasting teams as well.

One thing I dislike about NBA league pass....no pre-game, post game, or halftime show. But I just watch NBA TV gametime so its not so bad.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you purchase it from the cable company you get broadband as well. It's post of the same package.

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Is there a League Pass option for just mobile? If so how much is it?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no.

just like anything else...like NFL...you buy the broadband package and you get everything.

They don't sell a restricted license to Mobile, only

make sense?

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Essentially that's what League Pass broadband is for. They lump the streaming services together. You can limit the number of teams you want to 5 to save some cash.

18. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Completely off topic, but does anyone know when individual game tickets go on sale?

19. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

20. Awkh

Awkh Member

I got to try NBA League Pass free trial last season. I live in Laredo, TX 350+ miles away from Houston market and I was blacked out. I did have access to the Spurs and Mavericks games.
    I wonder why?! I'm much closer to San Antonio, than Houston and I'm being blacked out. Therefore I didn't purchase it.

You MIGHT have to be somewhere around Dallas area, in order to not be blacked out. IDK this black out restrictions are sure hard to understand.

None the less VPN sure did work for me during the Trial.