1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela to RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

what everyone is saying is true, he's nervous give him some time yea it all makes sense. however, the kid has been giving two chances to show something and both times he blew it. coaches aren't that forgiving when their jobs are on the line. outside of a major injury or a massive blowout, that might be the last time we see him and it's all his fault.

2. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Yes Cap looked lost out there last night but did anyone expect anything different? The kid has been down in the D league and hasn't really experienced NBA level competition. He still got a ways to go until he becomes serviceable.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

how long did DMo take to get his timing and touch right?

at least Capela is already more ready defensively than DMo in the first half of his first year

1 person likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Dude had two chances to show something and give the coaches a tough decisions to make. Instead both times he blew it and made it super obvious to the coaches that he can't do anything for them this year. It's unfortunate because what he needs is NBA minutes but he's not going to get any in the West where every game is huge with those types of showings. He probably knows that and the pressure is getting to him which is also a bad sign.

This thread should be moved out of the GARM and into the RGV sub-forum along with all of the folks/posts calling for Capella to play now.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

go back to rio.

this guy shouldn't be allowed in an nba arena.

morey needs to pull his head from his arse.

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I think that he did ok, apart from that missed alley-oop...yes he could've done better, but it will come.

7. CertifiedTroll

Clearly nervous. I will reserve my judgement of him until after he has played 20 minutes. 20 minutes is clearly a large enough sample size to judge him at.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Swiss Cheese has many holes in his game. Too raw and not ready, requires more aging.

9. solodolo

solodolo Member

Yawnnnn go back to the texans section .

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He seemed to know where to be on both ends. McHale knew to put him in the game with Harden so he wouldn't get so lost on offense.

Like I said before the game yesterday, i think the notion of "NBA ready" is a little ridiculous. Yes the guy has a long way to go, but I'm confident he can contribute if called upon later in the season as long as he doesn't try to do too much, and does what I think he can do defensively.

I really don't care too much now about how he looks offensively. Just don't blow easy dunks and layups at the rim and you will be fine. Free throws... I'm not sure that's the ultimate validation of "NBA ready". His stroke looks very meh but he can't be worse than Dorsey if given the same opportunities. I think he's a bit nervous at the line if I had to guess. Not too worried about it.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

on one hand he's showing potential in a few different areas. on the other hand if he's still so frickin nervous then not sure what he's gonna be like in his 1st playoff game. or when we need him to perform with 20 seconds left in a playoff elimination game. skills and talent are necessary, but so are nerves.

12. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Jeez, whatever happened to being patient with rookies? Especially a big man who is very raw, the type of player that usually takes the longest to acclimate to the NBA. All we know is he is not a superstar/star, but everything else is still in play. Just give him some time.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

remember D'Mo and how long it took him to not look like a complete spaz on the court?

14. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Someone show him tape of Hassan Whiteside and tell him to mimick that style.. We'll be straight.

15. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Perhaps we should hold just a little bit of judgment after he's had time to actually practice with the team. Frankly, I don't see why he was even in the game after playing the two previous nights.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not sure why you didn't like me saying he wasn't NBA ready. Someone had asked how he looked playing in the D-League and I tried to give an honest assessment. I'm not a professional scout, I'm just a fan trying to be helpful.

I've watched all of The Viper games that Capela played in because I think Capela has a huge upside, and I think he could help the Rockets fairly soon.

After watching Capela play in the D-league, I was very impressed with his raw talent. But, I didn't feel he was ready to be inserted into the Rockets rotation. I thought that in the near term he could best be served by getting as many minutes as possible with the Vipers, rather than sit on the bench with the Rockets. I said he was not NBA ready, but I did not mean that as an insult or slight in any way.

I'm hoping that the Rockets will train Capela the same way the did both DMo and TJones. Bring him up and practice with the Rockets as much as possible, and send him down to the Vipers to get as many minutes as possible. Both DMo and TJones got to play meaningful minutes with the Rockets after the all-star break during their rookie season. I hoping Capela will make enough progress that we may also see him play with the Rockets later in the year.

I don't know if any rookies are truly NBA ready their rookie seasons. Especially someone like Capela, who is only twenty years old. I only remarked that I didn't feel he was ready because some people at ClutchFans seemed to be in a hurry to rush him into the Rockets rotation.

1 person likes this.
  17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Calm down! This kid has still a long long way to be ready
    U guys r all too worried.
    Did u guys remember Yao's first nba game? 0p/2r/4foul

18. bmd

bmd Member

The Rockets knew when drafting him that he wasn't NBA ready. They don't expect him to be.

Nobody's job is riding on Clint Capela's performance this year.

The only reason he was called up was because of injury to Dwight. The only reason he played was because it was the Lakers and McHale could get Capela some experience and it didn't matter if he sucked because the Rockets weren't going to lose.

Huge overreaction by some people here.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No, no.. didn't not mean it that way. Was more of a generality than anything based on what you were saying. You hear it all the time with the folks that do draft grades and whatnot. The term NBA ready gets thrown around alot, and really doesn't mean much to me. Alot of these prospects that look like 3 year development players I think can be much more useful players if they are put in the right roles.

Capela, I think, can contribute if he's used right, and he mentally can know exactly what he needs to do to help this team.

The Clutchfans mentality from day 1 seems to be, he's not going to be a world beater in year 1 so lets waive him so we can keep Jeff Adrien which is ridiculous. I think after the all-star break, hopefully the Rockets are able to get him comfortable enough to play him 5 to 10 minutes a game when Harden plays with the bench unit. I think his length and shot blocking can really help when Dwight is off the floor IF used correctly.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Morey drafted him knowing he's a project, ie years away from contributing on court.