1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: The Halfway Point for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

With personnel you're always limited to what other teams are willing to offer, but the turnovers drive me crazy because it's something the team can control and should have corrected long ago. They just don't value the ball and possessions enough and opportunistic teams like the Warriors and a bunch of other playoff-level teams will kill them for it.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

unfortunately true. the chaos and poor spacing on offense, imo, are some of the main culprits here. even a large number of dwight's TO's are caused by double-teams because we have to leave our 4-men (dmo/smith) near the paint.

3. basketballholic

This is precisely why guys like Ariza and Brewer were brought here...to help us win the turnover war by turning the opponent over.

Obviously we need that second big time playmaker.......waiting.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Well. That was super depressing on the trade possibility front lol.

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

Great listen, Clutch.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Looking around the league at who may be available to fill that second playmaker role, it's looking pretty sparse. Dragic seems out of reach. I know people are talking about Lawson and Rubio. I just don't know what real incentive either of those teams have to move them. I think Denver will probably part with Jameer Nelson for cheap - but does he even help?

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Very insightful and realistic analysis of the team at the half way point. I would add that I don't think the "new" players are fully integrated in the "system" (if there is one). As you mentioned, Howard and Harden don't always seem on the same page and they have been together for a season and a half. In a way it is Harden against the world. Definitely need another play maker. I thought Cannan was the closest to filling that roll. Don't understand his "demotion" to the D league. When Harden is out or shut down, the team struggles to score. That should not be the case with a Dwight Howard on the floor. T.Jones may help.

I agree, that the Rockets are a play off team, but will likely once again struggle to get out of the first round. Who is going to beat the Warriors; right now, they look like the deepest most complete team in the NBA.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dragic unavailable?..

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/13AXYJh2jDt2IE?html5=true" width="480" height="263" frameBorder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets have to get better defensively. That's how they can win.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

IMO Dragic is just doing a dog and pony show trying to get a max contract with his current team, being fed words from his agent. No hard evidence, just a feeling on my part.

I think Morey should move on to his next targets down the line and try to get us a playmaker now, without greatly disturbing the core of this team, including Jones, who I believe is a terrific talent at the ripe age of 22.

The exception to the above is Lawson. In my view, he could be the missing piece to make this team into a real contender. That guy would make the game SO MUCH easier on everyone including Howard with his dribble penetration. For him, I would sacrifice a lot, and I would say just about anyone not named Harden. I know my position has changed in that I thought D-Mo should not have been included in any of these trade proposals, but as most of us can anticipate, teams will play Harden differently in the playoffs and that is a major, major concern.

11. Coob5

Coob5 Member

More podcasts please! Would be awesome to have a couple of them per week!

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

Lawson just got booked for DWI

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Profit!

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Parsons] loss has hurt them offensively, Ariza has helped defensively. They need more help for Harden. Harden is doing so much. They need another weapon on the perimeter to break defenses down. - JVG on the broadcast

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's right.

16. chinese

chinese Member

Hate to live in past, but still think we could have Asik, Parsons and Lin instead of CB, JS and TA.

Hate to live in past, but still think we could have Asik, Parsons and Lin instead of CB, JS and TA.

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

We were 30 and 17 this time last season. We are 33 and 14 this season without 3 out of our 5 starters a big chunk of the season. What do you miss?

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Things will heat up at the trade deadline, it always does. Names or targets none of us may have even thought of will probably pop up. Its a big poker game and Morey's got tons of chips going into it.