1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Team Has The Best Past NBA Draft Success?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by countingcrow, Jan 9, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Who do you all think is the best team in terms of drafting consistently. I was just looking at past draft's to try and find the team which has done the best job. It seems like every year teams botch their picks no matter how high. However, I believe the honor of best drafting team would have to go to the Phoenix Suns. I compiled a list of their top picks from the last few years. Keeping in mind, there is only one lottery pick in there, and even that is at #9.

1994-23rd Wesley Person SG

1995-21st pick Micheal Finley SF

1996-15th pick Steve Nash PG

1997-43rd pick Stephen Jackson SG/SF *Never Played for them

1998-19th pick Pat Garrity SF/PF *Aquired from Milwaukee

1999-9th pick Shawn Marion SF

2000-25th pick Iakovos Tsakalidis Center

------------------

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Without doing any research, my gut feeling is it has to be the Clippers. After all, they are always a lottery team. [​IMG]

------------------

3. Live

Live Member

Have to agree with you there counting crow. The Suns are one of the best, but then again they seem to have a "best available player, worry about where to put him later" approach to drafting that I would like to see the Rockets adopt. Drafting for need is fine, but I would rather draft for talent.

Orlando also seems to do well, as does Seattle. And when Nelson was there, Golden State did wonderfully, eventhough he would trade them within a year or two.

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

well anybody who grabs Larry Bird a year before he leaves college, prompting a rules change, should get best drafting for a decade.

Seriously though, going way back, Red Auerbach picks were always outstanding. Especially had Len Bias lived up to his potential. lol!

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

6. Steve_Francis_rules

heypartner, i think that joke about len bias is uncalled for. His death, although it was his own fault, was still tragic, and shouldn't be laughed at.

------------------

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK Steve,

While I can't take back my laughter, none of you other guys better laugh at my bad joke.

Hey, anyone want to hear my bonfire joke?

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I also think the Len Bias joke wasnt funny. An interesting note to that story, though. After his death, Bias' parents sued his agent for a number of things, inlcuding failure to get a $1 million dollar life insurance policy before his death and failure to sign a shoe contract that they could have benefited from. Of course, the agent won the case, as no sane insurer would put out a $1 mil policy on a drug addict and it was unreasonable to ask the agent to get a shoe contract in that short a period, if he could get one at all.
    Anyway, just useless knowledge.

------------------
    "There are some frauds so well conducted that it would be stupidity not to be deceived by them."
    Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832)