1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I sorta understood when francis and Cat didn't pass the ball to Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Jan 18, 2005.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They were arguably the best backcourt in the league and Yao wasn't really ready especially in his rookie season.

It's ok if Tmac doesn't pass the ball since he is one of the top 5 offensive players in the league, but Sura, Barry, Wesley. Come on now. Those guys make up the worse backcourt in the league. They have no freaking excuse not to pass Yao the rock. I don't want them taking any shots unless its wide freaking open. I just don't get it. I don't think Yao is a top ten player in the league but he does shoot over 50 percent and he is a hell of alot better than wesley barry and sura. Give me a break. Sometimes they don't even attempt to get Yao the ball. Those guys should be benched. There should never be a possession when either Tmac or Yao don't touch the ball in the half court set.

2. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

well, people would say they don't pass Yao the ball because the risk of turning the ball is too high. it's kinda true if you look at Yao's turnover number.

3. porsche911

porsche911 Member

Excellent post!!! There should be no reason at all why ball-hogging freaks like Sura, Wesley, and the rest of the team shouldn't be passing the ball to Yao in every play...

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

The Rockets seem to have a tough time throwing the ball inside when the post player gets good positioning. They pass the ball too late often times..

It's just something they need to stress or work on

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

Sura, Wesley, Barry are better fit to this team-----According to someone.:rolleyes:

6. porsche911

porsche911 Member

Yeah, well when you're given a bad entry pass when the shot clock's winding down, it ends up being a turnover... that's why Sura needs to get the ball to Yao early and often...

You said Yao's turnover is high... look at Tmac's in todays game, he had 5... but does that stop the team from passing to him? hell no....

why isn't Yao getting 24 shot attempts like Tmac is getting today? Yao only got 12 in this game? I sense that something is wrong with this team... Sucky role players like Sura and Weslley, Howard, Taylor should be looking for Yao on every single play or should be benched or traded!:mad:

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yao's defender almost always has an arm over his shoulder, ready to tip away any pass that comes his way. It would be stupid to pass to him in that situation.

8. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

1 lost defensive rbs, 1 offensive fouls.

Other 2 TOs were in the first qt.

No excuse.

Yao sometimes didn't touch the ball once in 3 or 4 minutes.
    That's not the way to utilize your most efficient scorer.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Yao won't get as many field goal attempts as T-Mac..thats not even possible.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Like I said before. Tmac is one of the top five players in the league, so I don't care if he never passes the ball to Yao. But the worse backcourt in the league has no excuse not to attempt to pass yao the ball.

What's ironic is I see Tmac try to setup yao more often than Wesley does.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sura got 3 assists tonight passing it to Yao.

DD

12. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

If Yao would dunk the ball, the team could tally more assists.

:p

theSage

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Yao, right now, is consistantly inconsistant and average.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Yao is not our most efficient player if he is the person you are refering to. There is no stat out there to support your claim. Even his +/- which I am not fond of is among the worst on this team.

Yao is his biggest problem now. Not Sura, Mobley, Motay, Francis or Wesley. He was the reason I wanted Francis and Mobley gone - for his ultimate betterment. He just has to step up and people have to stop making excuses for him. I still believe he will come around in the near future.

15. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Scoring efficiency is based on points per shot attempt.
    Yao IS our most efficient scorer because of his FG% and FTs,
    even adjusted for # TOs.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Can anyone describe what happened in the 4th? We were like 2pt down at the end of 3rd, Yao was doing well. Then he only got ONE shot for the entire 4th qtr, and all of sudden, we were down by a dozen?!

I didn't watch the game, so please fill me in.

17. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

feel a trade coming, so many on DNP

18. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Yao is double teamed always. one in front and one cheating into his back. Second of all there are roughly 4 players within his vicinity of the court.

Let's say sura is on the wing trying to pass Yao the rock and juwan is at the high post. Sura's man plays a little off him. Yao's man fronts him and someone cheats behind Yao. Not far is Juwan's man who up until now didn't scare defenses enough to guard him. So to count, Sura's man, Yao's man fronting him, someone cheating behind him, and Juwan's man,

19. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I'm not so worried about sura. It seems like if he goes away from yao, it's at least in an effort to make something happen.

I can also understand that it's tough to throw it into Yao when his man is fronting him.

But what bothers me is that I see David Wesley regularly pass up Yao in the post, even when he has good low post position. Seeing this frustrates the hell out of me. I don't know if it's because he's never played with a real low post player before or what?!

#19 rwienert, Jan 18, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  20. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Yup. Yao's a headcase. It's a pity he doesn't take charge and "impose his will"

:p

theSage