1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iraqi Father Kills Daughter Recruited by Al Qaeda

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 24, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not really sure what to make of this story. I guess it was good that he kept his daughter from killing others but did he really have to kill her?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40802592/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa

Cops: Iraqi kills daughter recruited by al-Qaida
    Teenage girl is said to have planned to become suicide bomber

BAGHDAD — An Iraqi man killed his 19-year-old daughter after he discovered al-Qaida had recruited her as a suicide bomber in an area north of Baghdad, a police spokesman said Friday.

Al-Qaida has been recruiting women for suicide attacks because they can pass police checkpoints easier than men by concealing explosives under an abaya, a loose, black cloak that conservative Muslim women wear.

Suicide bombers have been al-Qaida's most lethal weapon in Iraq, killing hundreds of civilians and members of Iraq's security forces.

The killing of the young woman was discovered when security forces, searching for her on suspicion she had ties to al-Qaida, raided her father's home Thursday outside the former Sunni-insurgent stronghold of Baqouba, 35 miles northeast of Baghdad, said Maj. Ghalib al-Karkhi, a police spokesman in Diyala province.

The father, Najim al-Anbaky, was detained in the raid.
    During questioning he told police he had killed his daughter, Shahlaa, a month earlier because he found out she intended to blow herself up in a suicide attack for al-Qaida, al-Karkhi told The Associated Press.

Dad remains in custody
    Al-Anbaky showed police what he said was the woman's grave, al-Karkhi said. The father remains in custody and is under investigation, but no charges have been made yet.

A police official at the interior ministry in Baghdad confirmed the killing. He spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

A police official at the interior ministry in Baghdad confirmed the killing. He spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe it was an honor killing and he is just making up the Al Qaeda stuff, who knows.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Maybe she was an alien from the planet Nubunon and we're all in the matrix, who knows.

4. trustme

trustme Member

The security forces were after her as well.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ah, I missed that.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should have turned her in.......or chipped her, they could have gotten more of them......now that lead is dead...

DD

#6 DaDakota, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This is the type of honor killing I am for.

I commend this father for doing the right thing. How dare she bring dishonor to the family name by wearing that ugly bomb vest!

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That was my first thought as well, but I guess not if the police were purposely search for her because of Al Qaeda ties.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pics or gtfo.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I only consider information from Goregrish to provide an accurate depiction of what is occurring in the middle east.

11. VanityHalfBlack

I brought you into this world and I can take your ass out!!!

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It seems like there is probably more to this story, "Al-qaida" does not recruit these women by asking nicely, they threaten to kill the whole family. Appears like the father may have just pointed out some random grave to protect her, there is no proof as of yet.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

mmm, I don't think that's accurate. Why do you think they don't ask nicely?

Everything I've heard is that they ask in the nicest way, offer lots of stuff, and actually give you advice on how to handle parents.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What if you refuse after all the nice talk?

15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I was just throwing out one possible scenario, there isn't much evidence to really conclusively say what really happened as there hasn't been an investigation. I just felt it was a little premature to write an article with such a conclusive title. So I just threw out my theory....

In regards to "al qaida" asking nicely or not ...I'm sure there are some willing participants but I'd like to think there arn't too many people willing to blow themselves up. I know an Iraqi who worked in the green zone for 2 years and he said these people usually don't have much of a choice, if you don't accept the "lots of stuff" they end up killing members of your family.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No idea, my expectation is that they would rather keep a low profile though.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I see what you're saying, they probably take different strategies in different countries. I can't imagine they would be this aggressive in the US, but it would make sense that they do it in Iraq.