1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horry: "I still see them as the same team"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 17, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

http://www.csnhouston.com/basketball-houston-rockets/talk/robert-horry-talks-bosh-parsons-rockets

People need to stop freaking out over these minor additions. Do y'all want Morey to just throw money at anyone just get a significant deal done, so he can say he did something? That's why he didn't match CP in the first place. We need a build a true contender and not just grab for any talent now. All these small deals give us ways to fill out the roster, without having to throw flexibility out the window.

Being the same team isn't a bad thing. We've got room to grow and still have flexibility to go after the final piece.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Link?

People are frustrated because we went from being a possible top contender to signing retreads. Understandably frustrating. Give it some time, folks will cool down

1 person likes this.
  3. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I think we undervalue the non-stat aspect of Chandler's play. Ariza is not as good as a glue guy, even if we get the same stats.

From that aspect we are definitely weaker just at the SF position alone.
    However, there are still good free agent options out there to field an overall deep team this season so let's see how it works out.

Don't ask me to quantify the glue aspect, but maybe it shows up in winshares or something like that.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

At least early on we are gonna have a LOT of guys that will have to grow into their roles. Some will sink, but a few will swim, and Daryl Morey loves that because it means he can trade them away later at a higher price :p .

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's the thing, we weren't a top contender before. We lost in the first round.

Now, that doesn't mean our guys won't learn from the defeat and come back a little better. I think they will. Plus, although we lost some key guys we also gained some. They're just different and will help in a different way, but we haven't really regressed...in fact, we may fit better now.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

On the court glue? i think Ariza matches CP's pretty well. Off the court, no, but this ain't no fraternity. These guys are having to learn how to be professionals to the full 100%. Time to stop goofing around and play. That's what Ariza learned from the past few years and something Chandler has yet to learn.

7. Rox4life1986

Rox4life1986 Member

I wish people would stop trying to convince themselves as well as other that Ariza is better than Parsons.

Good lord..... it's not true!!! I hate Parsons now more than any player alive but he was a very important piece that ****** moray let walk to a division rival.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Houston still is the 3 or 4 in the west. Til' KD comes down here next year and we'll take no. 1 spot in the west!

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Basically the same team."

Horry completely dismisses Lin, :eek:

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Off the court - I agree with you fully

On the court - going off Ariza in 09, Chandler makes better decisions when it comes to the extra pass, or picking the right time to drive, and even spacing the floor at just the right level. Things like this are "glue-guy" contributions we will miss I think.

This all can be debunked since I haven't watched Ariza since we traded him.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We're frustrated because we don't want to be 'basically the same team' - we want to be an improved team!

Screw number 4 seed, we were thinking top 3.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think they're all gone :p

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Totally agree with Big Shot Bob. We might be a better team and a deeper team. Would like to add another PG and a PF.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

#truth...

I think Harden and Howard will put the team on their back...

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm pretty impressed that Ariza left Washington for us. Washington was looking promising to me. Says something good about Ariza's mindset coming in here, to me.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Or maybe it was just money. If Washington was offering the same deal, the Houston one was worth $3 million more due to a lack of state income taxes.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Unless you think Parsons was on his way to being a star, it's a moot point.

We're not trading basketball cards here. Money matters. Ariza still fits the role Parsons would be playing and we saved a lot of money.

This and he also said he enjoyed his time down here. IIRC though, they offered more, but i guess it was even after state income taxes.

#17 RV6, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  18. Remii

Remii Member

As bad as the Rockets played, they still had a chance to win 2-3 of the games they lost against Portland. It's not like Portland was blowing them out.

It can be argued that game management, coaching adjustments, and playing style would have made a difference despite the play of certain players. The Rockets were the more talented team and McHale got out coached. But he skates and knee-jerk reactions are made to the roster.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It could also be argued that if we didn't have Lin, we would have won.

Or if Parsons had guarded Batum just once in the series..

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yes, it can be argued that was an issue, but there were plenty of on court issues with players too. We literally lost over an on-the-court players issue.

They are looking to add a quality assistant, so they are trying to improve coaching.