1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Patrick Beverley, James Harden, Jeremy Lin after Rockets' 96-95 win over Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Patrick Beverley after the Rockets win over the San Antonio Spurs on 3/24/2013. Kevin McHale called Beverley's block with just over a minute remaining probably the biggest play of the game.

Patrick Beverley
    [youtube]TNhhnPvUjJ0[/youtube]

James Harden
    [youtube]jKAUX9ttSuo[/youtube]

Jeremy Lin
    [youtube]FYToL39LELw[/youtube]

2. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

It was a great sub by McHale despite what some "fans" said in the game thread.

2 people like this.
  3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I didn't agree with the sub, but it worked out this game. At risk of sounding like a Lin homer, though, I wonder if McHale will continue this substitution pattern even in the playoffs. It was obvious that neither Lin nor Beverley could stop Tony Parker. Actually, what ended up stopping TP was Parsons - who should've been on him for more than the last 2-3 possessions.

Anyways, I don't doubt McHale knows what he's doing. I just questions whether or not subbing your backup point guard in the game with 4 minutes left in crunch time is necessarily the best choice to make the majority of the time. After all, the Rockets are paying Lin, not Beverley, big bucks because they believe in his potential to be a game-changing point guard down the line, right?

1 person likes this.
  4. just a word

just a word Member

awww Beverley <333 Believe that you're here! BELIEVE IT! :grin:

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

McHale gets so much undeserved hate, i think he is a good up and coming coach with a really young team

1 person likes this.
  6. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

+11, he killed it in the 2nd half. His confidence and energy seems contagious out there. Him and Lin choppin up minutes is a great thing when either is struggling

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

This

Great game by Bev, pretty much a perfect game. We wouldn't have won this game without him.

He sounds like the most humble, hungry guy in every interview too.

8. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

When the backup is clearly outplaying the starter, you play him regardless of who's paid more. Also Bevs defense was great, and his block at the end was crucial to our win.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Who said Beverley is going to be in the game with 4 minutes left the majority of the time? Beverley played tonight, and he has played on some other nights, but I don't think it's the majority of the time, is it? I don't really keep track of these things like some of you do. Has Beverley been playing in crunch time the majority of the time? Of course if it results in a win, then I'm all for it.

10. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

what was James doing @ the beginning of that vid?

11. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Lin was abysmal this game. Beverley was playing really well. Thats all there is to it.

12. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Put it this way - if you were a coach, and you had a starter that wasn't playing well, would you risk subbing in your backup to finish the game with less than 4-6 minutes remaining? McHale (and Sampson) have shown that they are not shy about putting in the better-performing player at any given moment.

I think, comparing McHale's coaching style with Rick Adelman's, Adelman really stuck with his starters, even when they were playing poorly down the stretch. I guess I prefer that show of confidence more than what McHale is doing.

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If paychecks determined playing time/responsibility, then Andreis Beidrins would be an impact player for GSW. (although Lin is much better than that overpaid scrub)

14. pnr

pnr Member

Lin is really a rookie in McHale's eyes, and he plays like it sometimes. It's really on him to make an impact when he's out there. It's sad watching him hand the ball to Harden after crossing the half court line, but we're probably going to see him do that his entire time with the Rockets because that's his role on the team. If the team had 25 wins right now I'm sure McHale would play Lin more more minutes but we're in a playoff push right now and every win is crucial.

15. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

This. When Bev has a bad game McHale isnt afraid to stay with Lin. Tonight Lin struggle, and Bev stepped up. I like both seeing a good amount of PT. Imagine if both were on fire...just more weapons for the rockets to use. Imagine next year when they start trying to work in Aaron Brooks into lineup sets. (If AB is still around next year...)

16. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Don't mind the Lin benching this game. He looked spent chasing Parker around all night, plus his shot was not falling. Parker was going to score regardless, so Beverley being the fresher of the 2 could at least provide some hustle.

If Lin was in he doesn't make that crucial block imo.

17. PopItRockets

PopItRockets Member

LOL @ Jeremy saying Hardens shot wasn't high percentage. Glad everyone seems happy and confident after this win!

18. LAC

LAC Member

Asik is playing tremendous defense tonight but we can never get an interview out of him.

19. pnr

pnr Member

He's really not good with words. Could not understand a thing he said during his Rockets presser.

20. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

For most people it probably isn't high percentage shot. Didn't look like it was going to go in, but James is so strong, with such a strong core and concentration, one feels hopeful. Thrilling that it went in and great confidence builder going forward.