1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: Houston Rockets are my pick to win the title

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by impressivegol, Apr 17, 2014.

1. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

i guess this wouldn't really surprise many as he has always seemed to gush praise when talking about the Rockets and the organization whenever he's had the opportunity. I've dreamt of a JVG return to the sidelines and what it would mean to the team's defense for quite a while. I just hope McHale doesn't make that wish turn into a desperate demand this postseason.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/jeff-van-gundy-rockets-win-nba-title/226437

Anyone who has listened to Jeff Van Gundy call NBA games for ABC/ESPN this season or heard him providing analysis on the radio knows that the former Houston Rockets coach is a big backer of his former team.
    Van Gundy has long supported Dwight Howard as a defensive stalwart and has believed in the Rockets all season long. He stood by them even when they had some struggles early in the season. So it’s not too much of a surprise to hear that JVG is picking the Rockets to win the NBA championship.
    “I’m going to pick the Western Conference winner, and I’m going to stick with Houston,” Van Gundy said during a conference call, according to the Houston Chronicle.

“They play fast, they score easily, and they have a talent in James Harden who is as hard to guard as anybody not named Kevin Durant or LeBron James,” Van Gundy said. “They have a center (Dwight Howard) who gives them a force in the paint, who can rebound, and then they have one of the best competitors in (point guard Patrick) Beverley; I just love his mentality in attacking each and every opponent. I think Houston has as good a chance as anyone to come out of the West.”

The Rockets are the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference and face Portland in the first round. If they’re lucky enough to advance, the road will be tough; they wouldn’t have home court against the Spurs, Thunder or Clippers. But that’s not stopping JVG from sticking with Houston.

“I really do believe the Western Conference winner will win it, and I have to stick with who I think will win the West. You could convince me about San Antonio and Oklahoma City and the Clippers as well, because all of them are really good.”

2. HoustonN06

HoustonN06 Member

I agree JVG!

3. NotChandlerParsons

Ah its great having a giant Rockets homer announcing TV games :grin:

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

JVG sets a high bar for McHale. If McHale can't do it, JVG will take his job...

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

carefully disguised hype-up to get his brother hired when we're all disappointed

6. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

JVG would be a terrible coach for this team.

7. AvgJoe

Right, our defense is so awesome we don't need JVG at all....wait...

8. AvgJoe

Would really love the VG bros to coach this team.

9. conquistador#11

a glorious red ambassador of our vision and hopes.

10. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

My pick too

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Van Gundy for mayor. No, governor!!

Gov. Van Gundy has a ring to it.

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lol JVG is such a homer I love it

13. Lovemachine2000

The best NBA announcer period. JVG is like a less bitter Tyrion Lannister.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

svg running offense coordination, jvg running defensive detail, and morey's computer calling timeouts and substitutions in real time :grin:

1 person likes this.
  15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Me too!

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I loooove JVG, but don't want him coaching the Rockets again.

17. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

You realize that you can't just add a defensive minded coach to an offensive team and have it be a good offensive and defensive team, right?

The Rockets players' thrive in turnover creation and fast break carnage. You put JVG's defense out there and the fast breaks go away.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I want this guy to commentate our games when bill whorel retires

1 person likes this.
  20. scottie brooks

That's the perfect coaching staff, i must admit.