1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Different Fantasy Baseball League -- 3 MLB Teams Per Owner!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Mar 21, 2012.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Right. The 9th is the start of our first week.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So can we have a smack talk/fantasy discussion thread for this league now?

3. fadeaway

Here is my team-by-team analysis of everyone's draft. This is all in good fun, so don't take this too seriously... anything can happen!

don'tdraftheastros! (Tex-Oak-Pit): There's no question, from top to bottom the Texas Rangers are stacked. Infield, outfield and pitching... the Rangers have it all, so that's a huge advantage. However, I am not impressed with the selection of Oakland as the second team. In my opinion, the White Sox or Royals would have been better choices due to a big hole at 1B (Michael Young does not impress me). However, astrosrule got lucky when Pittsburgh fell to him at the second last spot in the draft, as I think that team should have gone a few spots higher. McCutcheon and Hanrahan are very valuable players, and I really like Bedard this year. Overall, this should be a good team, but could have been an elite force if a different team was picked instead of Oakland. But hey... if Cespedes breaks out and a couple of A's starters emerge to be dependable, this could still be an elite team.

Killer B'zzz (Bos-Cin-ChC): I think this is the most well balanced team of everyone, and has to be considered the overall favorite. Boston has a plethora of powerhouse players, and Cincinatti has some great top-end guys. However, the key piece of the puzzle here is the selection of the Chicago Cubs in the 3rd round. After the first two rounds, this team was in need of a solid catcher, a good shortstop, a decent closer, and one more reliable starting pitcher... and this is exactly what the Cubs offered in Soto, Castro, Marmol and Garza. A perfect complementary team for what was already in place. The only potential weakness I see here is with the outfield (a lot depends on Crawford rebounding). Overall, though, this is the team to beat in my opinion. Very well balanced.

Psychophrenics (Phi-Col-Bal): The Phillies probably would have been my choice if I had the #1 pick in this league. The Rangers are great, but starting pitching is so important in this format, and the Phillies have the best SP lineup in all of baseball. Drafting the pitching-heavy Phillies also allowed this team the luxury of picking the Rockies, a true hitter-oriented team, in the 2nd round. This creates a nice blend of offense and pitching. Baltimore, though? I don't know... I think the Cubs, White Sox or Royals would have been a better fit. This should be a competitive team, though.

Col. Springs Sky Sox (Det-Stl-Cle): Unfortunately, I think this is one of the weaker teams. 1B and C are positions of strength, but the outfield is undependable due to age (Beltran/Berkman) or uncertainty (Choo). 2B, SS and 3B are lower than average, and there are some question marks with the SPs (Can Wainwright bounce back? Will Verlander regress?). I like the closers, though. Overall, I think the biggest mistake made was taking the Cardinals in the 2nd round, as there were better options on the board. Colorado would have been a nicer fit.

DaleDoback (LAA-Ari-CWS): I can't argue with taking the Angels. Their pitching staff is tremendous, and they have arguably the best hitter in the game in Pujols. However, the overall result of this draft seems very underwhelming. The outfield seems really shaky (Wells and Hunter... eek). The situation at closer is a bit risky too as Walden is prone to wildness (I like him, though), Putz is a big injury risk, and the White Sox don't really have a dependable closer (yet). Overall, this strikes me as a middle of the road team.

Soul Keepers (NYY-LAD-Min): This is a great looking team. The Yankees have a number of solid options at a bunch of positions. The Dodgers, on the other hand, don't have as many startable players, but the few that they do have are tremendous (Kershaw and Kemp). I also like Ethier to bounce back this year. Putting these teams together was a great idea. The Twins are also a sneaky selection. The risk with them is high, but the upside is great (Liriano could be a stud or a bust, Mauer could finish as the top overall catcher or miss half the year due to injury, Morneau could be a top 8 1B or could be sidelined indefinitely). Definitely takes big balls to have picked the Twins so early (1st pick of the 3rd round), but it could pay off big time.

3 Men and a Bat (SF-Sea-NYM): I was a bit ticked off when they took the Giants (I thought I would get SF at the bottom of the 1st round). The top of the order pitching staff for the Giants (Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner) makes them a worthy choice. However, I definitely do not like the way this team followed up in the next rounds. The Seattle pick left me scratching my head. To complement the strong SF pitching staff, an offensive-minded team like the Reds, Rockies or even the D-Backs would have been a better choice. I also probably would have taken the Cubs over the Mets, but that's a matter of taste so I can't fault him too much there. This team has great pitching -- arguably the best overall -- which is important, but perhaps the weakest offense in the league. As a result, I don't think it will be competitive enough overall.

Rook (TB-Was-Hou): Rook got the shaft in the 3rd round, getting stuck with the bottom-feeding Astros. However, his first two picks were decent. I kept hoping for Tampa Bay to make it down to me (I was hoping for the Rays or the Giants, thinking the Giants would be more likely; TB was my pipe dream team... oh well!). I can't argue with the talent level on both the Rays and the Nationals. The one thing that concerns me, though, is that they may not complement each other all that well. Both teams have a similar profile -- excellent starting pitching, a stud 3B, but a bit weak at 1B, C, both middle infield spots and the outfield. As a result, there are some holes on this team. I'm not sold on Morse yet. Pitching alone should help this team remain competitive, but I'm not sure there is enough offensive juice here to be top tier.

ChrisBosh (Atl-Tor-SD): Atlanta was a nice choice in the 1st round. I was initially critical of the Toronto pick, but the end result is not bad at all. Despite a bit of a weakness at SS, these teams fit together nicely, and the offense is relatively solid from top to bottom. Pitching is decent as well. CB got stuck with a very late 3rd rounder, and I personally would have taken the Pirates over the Padres, but I can understand his reasoning (Petco Park factor). Overall, this team should be slightly better than average.

Fade (Mia-Mil-KC): I think I've put together a decent team. Catcher is a glaring weakness, but everything else should be pretty solid. I was very happy to get the Royals in the 3rd round, because Hosmer and Butler helped to fill two wide, gaping holes at 1B and CI. There is a lot of risk here, though. Reyes and Hanley are not the most dependable players, and maybe Braun's mental state will affect his numbers. A lot also depends on some younger players fulfilling their potential (Hosmer, Stanton, Morrison, Moustakas). I think there is a good overall balance between pitching and hitting. There is potential here, but I don't think this squad is quite on the same level as some of the upper echelon teams.

4. bobmarley

wow, fade. no love? :)

3b a weakness? maybe until week 2 or 3. When Cabrera becomes 3b eligible
    SS weak? 25 hr and 90 RBI is weak? what is strong?

Matt Holliday in OF will be great, and brennan boesch 6HR this spring i expect to have a breakout year.

Prince fielder and Miggy and Santana give me 3 of the best at the power positions

My pitching staff will get wins and stikeouts and all 3 closers could have 35+ saves

I also expect to have 2 division winning teams and one over .500

Kipnis 2b is projected to have a 20 HR 90 RBI year

This is why we need a smack talk thread :D

#124 bobmarley, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. fadeaway

I told you not to take it seriously! :grin:

You're right about 3B, though. Once Cabrera gets eligibility there, you're golden.

6. bobmarley

So you are saying I'm wrong everywhere else? ;):grin:

7. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Can't say I'm displeased with my write up. :grin:

The teams that scare me most though are Col Springs, Psychophrenics and Fade. Just lots of good players up and down the roster.

The concern with my team is how good Crawford will be this year and the arms in Boston. Injuries are always a concern for every team, and Beckett always flip flops between a good year and a bad year. Hopefully this team can put it all together.

I think I've got a damn good roster, and I'm looking forward to the season.

Good luck fellas, you're gonna need it against me. ;)

8. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member

Good job once again Fade........

Forgot to mention that I am the only one who has two MLB teams and another team that couldn't finish in the top three of my co-ed softball league.

I am with you that my two teams mirror each other somewhat in strength, which is not good, just went with the philosophy with where I was picking to try and be strong in one area - went with pitching.

Your analysis is pretty good......

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Just my 2 cents on my team's' (Atl - Tor - SD)

Atlanta - Their offensive guys all had terrible years last year, what's the probability of that happening again? Heyward and Freeman should have career years or at least one of them will and I fully expect Uggla to get back to form. In regards to their pitching, they are flush with young talented guy, who knows whats going to happen, could go either way.

Blue Jays - My darkhorse team to make the playoffs, you guys probably don't know about Alvarez, but he's going to be a great SP along with Romero and Morrow(he's also going to break out this year as well). Drabeck will also rebound, maybe not as well as the other guys, but he can't struggle for too long, he's shown he belongs. The hitting is also going to surprise everyone, it all hinges on Lind IMO.

Padres - To be honest I couldn't have named you one player on this team, I just went based on the rankings a website gave me, they had intense statistical analysis and it showed that these guys should do better than the Pirates, who were the other choice.

Anyway my chances will depend on Atlanta and Toronto having big years, if they do well, then I should take this league by a landslide. "IF" BTW I was surprised by how even the teams were, I believe everyone had the same number of Top 100, 100-200,200-300 ranked players on each team.

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Oh, what a foolish statement that was. There are lots of solid teams here, I don't expect anyone to win by a landslide. Your analysis on your team being good also points out that it takes EVERYTHING to go right for you in order to win.

11. bobmarley

[​IMG]
    let the trash talk begin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:grin::grin:;);):p

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

^^^^
    Not trash talking, just stating the obvious. If everything goes right for a particular team, of course they'll be real solid. It's ridiculous to expect that though. Also showing he may be overconfident. There are definitely teams ahead of him in this stage of the game imo.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Looking forward to this season, lots of good teams and don't have to keep tabs every day one what play is hot and doing well.

Thanks for the preview Fade. Got it pretty much right. Oh I did think alot bout those other teams you put but I picked Bal mainly because I needed more power.

Col has speed and average, but Bal gives me potentially a C, 1B, 3B, SS, and even OF who get 20-30 hr. Still a huge hole at second as Utley and B. Roberts start out on the DL though. Wanted Cleveland, but they got taken a little before me.

Still worried about essentially having all my eggs in the Phillie's basket though. If that rotation finally has a bad year through luck, injury, or now a fairly mediocre offense from injuries and FA, I'm am pretty much in the lurch.

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I almost took Philly with my 1st pick. Love the pitching, but the offense put me off. Scary how just 2 years ago that offense was considered elite. Utley looks like he's aging and Howard has regressed a little and is coming off an injury. Rollins made the pick a close call for me. I love to have good players at positions where there aren't many. In the end, I went with the safer pick I think in Boston. I gotta hope Ortiz can maintain what he did last year, and that Youk and Crawford have bounce back years. If so, then I think I'm VERY dangerous.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

just like to get on record i'd like to get in on this next year. thanks :grin:

16. bobmarley

Here are my projections

Ca- Carlos Santana 26hr/107rbi/89r/35 2b
    1b- Prince Fielder 35/134/111/35
    2b- Jason Kipnis 18/92/81/29 & 9 triples
    3b- Miggy Cabrera 34/133/119/46
    ss- Asdrubal Cabrera 16/73/84/32
    of- Shin-Soo Choo 18/93/87/30
    of- Matt Holliday 27/114/100/41
    of- Brennan Boesch 20/81/71/29
    of- Carlos Beltran 19/88/79/32
    ci- Lance Berkman 24/105/87/25
    mi- Johnny Peralta 18/69/62/27

sp- Wainwright 15w/177so/3.16era
    sp- Verlander 18/230/2.99
    sp- Scherzer 14/191/3.79
    sp- Jimenez 13/196/3.66
    rp- Valverde 39sv/64so/3.13era
    rp- Perez 35/47/3.66
    rp- Motte 36/64/2.50

17. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Well ****, let's just give you the damn trophy then.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Thanks for the write ups, Fade. Enjoy reading them. Of course if all my teams play well I should win in a LANDSLIDE! heh

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i really struggled with my 2nd pick and almost took the royals, but a's always have 2-3 solid starters cause of that ballpark. I think there were pretty much 19 solid teams, the gap between reds at 19 and anyone else is massive. Rangers practically give me an entire starting lineup and only other team i even considered was boston to pick 1st

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why can't we adjust our lineup from day to day? This is r****ded.