1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UPDATE: Texas Dad Acquitted in Shooting Death of Drunken Driver Who Killed 2 Sons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Aug 27, 2014.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/08/2...ooting-death-drunken-driver-who-killed-2-sons

A jury has acquitted a Texas father who was accused of fatally shooting the drunken driver who killed his two sons.

David Barajas, 32, was pushing his broken down car along a road with his 11- and 12-year-old sons back in 2012 when Jose Banda, a drunken driver, fatally struck the two boys.

Prosecutors say Barajas then shot Banda, but authorities never found the weapon or physical evidence.

Barajas repeatedly cried when he heard the verdict today.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=3751746255001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

-------------------------

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I don't know how I would have reacted. I wonder how he made the gun disappear?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There wasn't enough evidence to convict the guy. No gun, no witness.

Do I condone what he (maybe, probably) did? No but he had his day in court and the proof wasn't there.

Sad all around. He won't be made whole and a kid grows up without a father even if the father made a fatal mistake.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

the dad did what any other dad would do

glad he will be a free man, but what happened to him sucks.

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

I would have done the same. Not sure about acquittal...

Does evidence clearly dictate that he definitely killed the driver?

Or did the jury acquit based on "moral" reasons?

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I can't even make a judgement on this. I don't really blame him but it is just a completely unfortunate situation, what a tragedy.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

No murder weapon and no witness. Cut and dry to me.

7. bobmarley

Who did it, haha? The gun fairy?!

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Isn't that up to the police to find out? I thought those guys got paid to do that.

9. langal

The police probably did not try too hard to find the gun in this case. I can't argue with them if they did.

10. bobmarley

Just being silly. But it's crazy to me that you have to have murder weapon to pin this to him. Did he not have same caliber bullets at his home? Didn't he admit to it? I don't know. It's just a crazy and tragic case.

Which, BTW, would make a great Law & Order episode.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He had no residue on his hands. He had not recently washed his hands. He had no guns at his residence. He had one extremely old spent 9mm casing at his house.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Can't blame the prosecutor for bringing the case to send the message against frontier justice, but it sounds like the jury got it right.

13. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

This is a weird case. I'm familiar with it because it's adjacent to where I reside.

There isn't any other suspect in the case. Barajas was the only person with a motive (that anyone knows of). Can't say I'm disappointed in the outcome though.

One of my coworkers arrested Barajas last October for No DL and he made some disturbing comments while in the backseat. It was mentioned on Channel 13 news last night. He didn't admit it to the officer but it was very odd.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Don't agree with his actions.

15. Granville

Granville Member

A guy intentionally did something awful to my Autistic son that netted him a 15 year prison sentence. Thank God he didn't kill my son nor was I at the scene of the incident.

I can't imagine being at the scene and having access to a gun at the same time. I can't say that I'd have reacted differently than this guy did under the same circumstances. The boys were probably this father's life.

I resisted the urge to go to this guy's house and put one between his eyes. I had to, my son needed me more than I needed revenge. Again, losing your sons would be an entirely different situation and I can't imagine that grief. I would have never found this guy guilty gun in hand or with video proof.

I can say that the saying "He will get his in prison" is hollow... There's no justice in one prisoner victimizing another in the name of your son really only to move up in the ranks of a prison gang. Went to court, got up and spoke for my son, his family, our friends and every person who every spent a moment educating him or providing therapy for him. Justice was looking him in the eye and saying that right before they hauled him out of the court room. Whatever happens after that is out of my hands.

My heart goes out to this mother and father. I don't ever want to know their grief or feel that level of pain.

Just as it did with the perp in my son's case, my heart goes out to the deceased drunk driver's family. Nobody wins in this kind of thing.

Hakeemtheking and RockFanFirst like this.
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He did it. He has to live with it. It's vigilante justice at its finest.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not sure what you guys are talking about. He was found not guilty. There are plenty of other people who were at, and subsequently fled the scene. Some of whom were caught in lies about what they witnessed. The cops just tried to stick it to the guy who didn't flee.

18. bobmarley

wow what a crazy case.

19. torocan

torocan Member

Not a fan of vigilante justice, however give the circumstances I don't think I could find him guilty even if they had the weapon and a video.

I don't care who you are, you're not going to be anywhere near rational or sane after something like that. It wouldn't be any more shocking if he had simply taken the gun to himself instead of shooting the drunk driver.

Was killing the drunk driver justice? No. However, I don't think justice or society would have been served by imprisoning the Father either.

20. langal

I think living without his sons alive is the bigger issue at hand.