1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Oculus Rift??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eddiewinslow, Aug 28, 2013.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

When do you guys see this being mainstream? I saw a piece about it on Tv just now, seems fascinating! Im not a hardcore gamer just madden,nba 2k, grand theft auto but WOW Oculus Rift looks like the future of video games

I can't believe i once owned a nintendo,super nintendo and atari and thought all those were cool at one point haha

2. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Saw it on gameinformer, its going to be awesome is my only thought.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Way to post a topic and not explain what it is...

4. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Just a couple of videos of Pewdiepie using it on YouTube. Looks pretty cool.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I used to do that on Street Fighter.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A to oculus rift that b**** into submission.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Haha. I was thinking something to do with physics.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Looks cool. I'd love to try it.

The thing that has me most concerned is that there is no release date, seemingly, from what I've read (other than the dev kits). And so far, there's not much by way of game integration. Hopefully this thing catches on. I simply can't imagine playing Grand Theft Auto using this thing.

In my opinion, the biggest thing with the Oculus Rift is/when it does come out will be price point. The higher-ups in the company have said that they want to eventually get to where they can get this thing to the public for free, or a small monthly subscription. That's a huge goal. With it being a non-standalone, I don't seen a ton of people paying $300 for it.

As I said, it's extremely cool, and I'd love to try it. Some of the periphery equipment that people have made, like the hand sensors and the thing that lets you run in place and picks up those movements too (the videos of the hand guillotine and the first person shooter are cool), is extremely fascinating.

In my opinion, this thing falls somewhere in between a total flop and the OASIS system from Ready Player One. I think I may have started a thread saying that (or maybe I just buried it in another thread), but it didn't get many views.

edit: Here it is...

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Makes me dizzy when I use it around the office.

DD

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It's not only being looked at for gaming so I don't see it as being a flop. Other industries will flood money into it.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

If the p*rn industry starts pouring money into it, it will take off. At any given time, there's probably many more people that want to fornicate than play games. The first person to provide the ability to hump anything at anytime without leaving the couch will be very wealthy.

1 person likes this.
  12. likestohypeguy

What do you mean "thought", & "at one point?"

:mad:

13. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Medical and science comes to mind.

15. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

whats intriguing was when i was reading about oculus rift was this quote it has components from HIMAX just like google glass will have HIMAX components. I mentioned HIMAX in a thread a little while ago as a potential stock purchase when it was $5.80 it was up 4% today....

16. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

bump, looks amazing.

17. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

it really is.....and himx stock has doubled since i posted this, still looking for it to double again and more next year with google glass and oculus rift on the horizon

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I remember doing a market study for some Turbo Grafx promos in 5th grade and thinking I was seeing some top secret ****. The $1.00 and free Coke didn't hurt either.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of the difficulty of getting people excited about this is they have seen "the next revolution in virtual reality" before and were disappointed, plus the quality of the immersion for something like this is very hard for someone to experience without putting one on their head. How do you watch a YouTube video and determine if the thing is worth a crap or not?

20. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Well I received mine today at around 5pm.. Have used it for around an hour and half

... I feel like I'm going to throw up! ~vomits~

Problem is.. IDK if I can play games again without this thing.. however I can't play games for long periods with it....

The Rift may have just forced me into looking at other hobbies

If anyone has questions or requests ask away

BTW what got me sick was flying around space. The sun is ENORMOUS.. I went to mercury, venus and then earth. Turning and looking at the sun.. then turning around and seeing Jupitor... it was jaw dropping.. The size is incredible when you really see it. Unfortunately I had extreme motion sickness at that point, however leading up to this I was in Tuscany and a Movie Theater.. so I was already feeling woozy.

#20 Realjad, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013