1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will pick 24th or 25th in NBA Draft (UPDATE: Tiebreaker lost, pick #25 it is)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rockets and Suns both finished 55-27. Even though the Rockets would hold the homecourt advantage tiebreaker against the Phoenix Suns if they were to face them in the playoffs, the NBA Draft tiebreaker is totally different. Later this month the NBA holds a drawing to break all the ties.

The teams that could vulture the players the Rockets like:

20. Denver
    21. Dallas
    22. Orlando
    23. Utah

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

im not sure how deep of a draft this year is gonna be...

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So what are you guys wanting at this pick? I am wanting a good 6'10"+ player to backup Yao.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I want another Luis Scola to come in and contribute 3 years from now. Do what the Spurs do: stockpile talent in the Euroleagues so that re-tooling won't have to come from college rookies but rather vets who have cut their teeth in the second-best competition level in the world.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

For a draft pick or FA signing someone will have to be cut. Who goes, why and how?

6. rz04

rz04 Member

most likely Francis, but we also signed Loren Woods to a 2 year contract, so maybe Morey will try to combine some expiring contracts for a trade, but anyways its too early to tell.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Exactly. Woods and Harris got extended. Although cutting either one wouldn't be out of the question. .. Green actually may still be a possibility (sigh), I genuinely believe the Heat wanted him. Has to be a reason he didn't sign. We also have the MLE to make a run at player. And I don't anticipate the possibility of trading Jackson along with contracts (Woods, Harris, Head) until near the trade deadline. We desperately need size and shooting. If a player like Rush doesn't fall to us then I would assume we do take a Euro player to stash or trade the pick.

On another note. I do feel this draft is deep. I think drafts in general will be relatively deeper than they used to be from here on out. Foreigners and the 1yr rule will ensure it. Even this past draft was deep with contributors, you wouldn't realize it either since players don't really standout.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I want a 6'3" point guard or a 6'6' SG.

I'm tired of being Gulliver and the Lilliputians.

I know NBA trades for moving up in the draft don't work like NFL trades but I'd trade Brooks to get bigger at the point. There is just no way he can play with the Deron Williams and Chris Pauls of the world. And with Rose, Westbrook and Mayo coming into the league the Points are just going to get bigger.

#8 Dubious, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am wondering what that kid from Tenessee-Martin looks like, Lester Hudson?

I just cannot see Morey throwing away guaranteed money on a 6'10" rookie project center that may play 5-8 minutes per game backing up Yao and then if Yao goes down with injury, us be stuck with him playing starter minutes. Can't you see we need a veteran backup center?

My pick is still Brandon Rush.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Unless I'm wrong, no one has to go until the season starts. We carried more than 15 guaranteed contracts last season into training camp. With expirings like Bobby Jackson and Steve Francis and the non-guaranteed deals of Mike Harris and Loren Woods, I'm sure we'll see a deal.

But then, I wasn't sure if we'd see that deal before next year's deadline. Good opportunities to move them will be at the June draft, the start of the season and the February 2009 deadline.

As for who the Rockets will pick, here's what Daryl Morey said last year about picking #26:

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1416/morey_says_rockets_have_potential_deals/

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not sure you can get a Landry/Brooks or Cassell type of player every year but it would be nice.

:D

As for drafting a Euro it is generally better to take them in the 2nd as you are limited by the CBA as to contract and if they stay in Europe long enough they may be taking a pay cut to come to the NBA....I think the Blazers may be facing this if they don't bring Fernandez over soon.

DD

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I am trying to think of a veteran backup center (besides Deke) that would be capable of playing starter minutes that will be making less than the 2008 #24 Pick will be making.

Just looked it up and Deke is making more than Brooks. So trying to think of some names that you had in mind. Even a late first round rookie with several years guaranteed money isn't that expensive compared to what some veteran backup centers are getting paid.

2008 Salaries

13. engr chris

engr chris Member

Back up C? How about another Hoyas wearing jersey #55? Roy Hibbert.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

technically deke costs 200k less than brooks. the rockets pay the 700k amount and that's also the amount that count towards their salary cap.

any 10/+ year vet will be cheaper than the upcoming 24/25th pick.

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Ramon Sessions was drafted 56th pick last year. There are gems even in the 2nd round. Just whether you can pick it better than others.

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I realize that...................I was the person that provided the link.

My original statement:

Just looked it up and Deke is making more than Brooks.

is correct.

One of these years, Deke will retire and then the Rockets will be faced with a choice between a younger project center or a veteran center that will probably command more than what Deke is making. The pool of veteran centers that fit the Deke profile (financially friendly contact and many years of NBA service and still producing) is rather small.

Do you have somebody in mind that would settle for the Vet minimum and still produce at the Deke level or better?

#16 Mango, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

NBADraft.net has us picking at #25:

Roy Hibbert 7-2 278 C Georgetown Sr.

At #55, they have us picking:

DeMarcus Nelson 6-3 195 SG Duke Sr.

Also, at #57, they have us picking:

James Gist 6-8 223 SF/PF Maryland Sr.

I didn't know we had 2 2nd Round Picks.....I think one of these goes to Seattle from last year's draft.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Of course the Rox can, and have, carried > 15 players to cut-down day. Lux cap and roster make moves intriguing, if they are to be pulled-off.

The most marketable player (besides Yao or low $ guys like CarLuis) is Battier, and losing him would require a basket-full of return (Portland?). Rafer would seem to be 'cast' for Knicks, but where's the 'match-up' in return?

BTW - DM the GM was wrong about non-contribution by late pick rooks, eh?

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

Is Elson or Nestrovic available?

20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Okafor would be nice..but he's definitely a pipe dream..I'm ok with Diop..nice hands, blocker, but injury prone..