1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

glen davis lsu

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by htownbball, Nov 13, 2006.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

How would this guy fit with the rockets? a monster at 6'9 290lbs or however much he weighs. reported that he's gotten into better shape. more of a finesse guy like yao, and has a jump shot. with yao and davis on the low blocks, they'd be unstoppable, and davis could also spread the floor a bit because he has range on the jumper. expected to be in the late first...fit?

2. AXG

AXG Member

The next Tractor Traylor? :D

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I thought we already had him on this team at one time...

[​IMG]

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

He's a much better rebounder than MoT. Also, MoT never did anything in March, while Glen Davis had more than a little to do with LSU sending Texas home.

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

I saw him at the Fonde earlier this summer. He's lost a lot of weight. To be as big as he is, he has a very soft touch around the rim.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When he gets 25 or 26, Big Fatty will make Tractor Traylor look like the Thin Man.

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

What are you smoking?

Glenn Davis was great. He has to be one of my favorite first basemen ever.

8. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

9. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Tyrus Thomas measured in at 6'8" and Big Baby looked like he was about an inch shorter than him. I really don't think he's more than 6'8" with shoes on. He doesn't have the hops to make up for it, but I want to see how the lost weight affects his game.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

He needs to lose the weight or else he'll be waddling down the court soon. If he shows some more fitness, he'll be a huge force this year for LSU. I would consider him a good possible fit.

11. Asian Sensation

Potential Zach Randolph type maybe? Wouldn't be bad at all.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Glen Davis was the World Record Holder at the 400m Hurdles and he also was Olympic Champion in Melbourne 56 and in Rome in 1960. I know because I was there. :p

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed...no way this guy is 6'9". Good to hear that he lost weight because that was his biggest obstacle IMO. He plays with a lot of energy and has a nice touch around the basket, but he isn't really a banger. Not sure his game will translate in the NBA, let's not forget that Tractor Traylor was a very good college player as well.

14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

With Chuck Hayes and JHO on the roster as our PF's next season...I don't think we should opt for another undersized PF, although I will be more open minded if he keeps the weight off this season...he is definately skilled around the basket.

How is his defense?

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

well, i liked davis because he was skilled, and he makes up for his height with a massive body to push people around. he's got quick feet as a defender and can muscle people around trying to post him up. he's not a great shotblocker, but i like his versatility in that he's big enough to play as backup center, which we will need when deke retires. with davis and yao on the post, you'd have to use guards and small forwards to double team them, leaving guys like tracy or luther open for 3's.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Put me down on the HE WILL NEVER MAKE IT in the NBA much less our team list. Ever. Never ever. Great college talent though.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Watching him last night leaves me even more confused about Glen Davis. He was easily the smartest player and best passer on the floor for either team. It's amazing to watch a 6'8", 280-lb guy take defenders off the dribble. He works hard and he's a great player, but he doesn't seem to have the athleticism to make it at the next level. If he's available when the Rockets pick this year, I'd take a flyer on him, but it's virtually impossible to predict his success at the next level.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Big baby is a smart player.. and a hard worker (which has been said already in this thread - so I am just reiterating). He will make it in the NBA, though he may have to work hard at it to get his chance.

I don't know exactly how he would fit in with the current Rockets roster though.

His defense is good, he has quick feet and does well when helping on defense. I don't know exactly what his height is, but I know he seemed much bigger than Chuck when UK played them in the past. Of course part of that was girth, but I think he has a few inches height wise as well.

I'll be able to tell you more about him when UK plays LSU later this season.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He doesnt play big. He may be powerful but he doesnt seem to have the tools to rebound effectively at the next level. You will see...

20. rocketmingles

rocketmingles Contributing Member

I watched Glen Davis play against Texas this weekend, and he played full 45 minutes as a 330+ pounder, that's amazing to me
    and trust, he plays with his heart, and that's the kind of player we would like to see in the NBA
    next draft will be loaded with talented big men, however I do hope we end up really late in the first round, and had to Pick up some quality back up PG, I like Mastafa Shakur from Arizona. Kids from that school beside Chase Budinger and Marcus Williams never got mentions, but Mastafa and Ivan Radenovi are playing extrememly well this year