1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Oculus Rift??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eddiewinslow, Aug 28, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Replying to an old post... can you give us a detailed description of what it's like?

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I may not be DD but I can give you an idea.

The unit itself is lightweight, does not bother you by being on your head and it is actually pretty comfortable (as long as you don't have the oculus lens directly on your eyeball). If you have it pushed up too close you get this annoying pressure in your forehead, though its adjustable and easy to fix.

When you boot up a demo or game and put the headset on, you do want the lights off as there is a tiny bit of light bleed through

So once inside it is fascinating because you really feel like you just dropped into this new world. Its VERY immersive. It is so weird to look down and not see your hands or body.

Downsides is that in the development kit the resolution is very low, and when you turn your head its a bit blurry and disorientating

when they make this thing Chrystal Clear.. it truly will be earth shattering
    I have ZERO doubts about that

The field of view is huge, though not perfect. You feel like you have goggles. Put your hands on the outter side of each eye and its like that.

WORTH finding some possible way of trying it out. Not worth getting the first version of the development kit. When you have it, you just begin drooling knowing how earth shattering it will be when the resolution is high

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

this is the experience I want to have with it. I want to feel like I'm in the game. I want to play sims and raise a family.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/embed/69660" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

viral marketing?

5. Throttle

Throttle Member

Sims 3D wld b pretty neat...

6. roksoer

roksoer Member

Of all the amazing things you could do with this, you turn to sims, aka a life simulator, that's just weird lol.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ready player 1.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So I did that Interstellar movie exhibit at AMC yesterday.

I was very surprised at how well these things work and how my body reacted to them. Loved it. Can't wait for this to hit the gaming industry.

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I have the DK2 and I use it to play flight sims (Elite Dangerous) and racing sims (Assetto Corsa & Live for Speed). All are very immersive. And I've watched Captain America Winter Soldier on it in 3D. And the technology will just get better and better. I think it will be a big deal.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just had the DK2 delivered, and will most likely test it out on very same things you mentioned.

Racing sims, including project cars if possible, and flight sim. Also, going to test it out on some FPS.

11. Yonkers

I hope you have a strong stomach. The FPS games made me want to hurl. There was just some disconnect between game movement and my movement that made me nauseous. The games that had a HUD, like car dash boards and airplane cockpits, seemed to ground me and stabilize it.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For those that get dizzy or get sicks, that's very common and expected due to a number of factors that the industry is well aware of and working to resolve.

The solution is extremely challenging. We are not talking about 2x or 5x or 10x of today graphics power, but likely exponentially better, near real time, frame updates and much higher resolution.

It's very exciting and I think the future of blending real and virtual reality once the hardware and software is there. You should see much better solution in 2-3 years.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm ready to browse redtube videos on it

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

There are some vids on youtube of people trying p*rn with the Rift. It's pretty funny. Dudes are all, this is nice...then they get balls in their face or something hahahah

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NNiZP2G-nEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

. . .any moment now . . .. .

Rocket River

17. gah

gah Member

So the real question is, if I already have a capable PC, is it worth it to buy the rift at launch?

18. Yonkers

I tried a little of the FPOV stuff. It's pretty immersive, even for the early stuff I tried. I'm assuming it's better now after a year.

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I purchased the Samsung VR and couldn't even get it to work. Possible waste of $100 :(

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I heard 1440p is enough to give you a sharp solution on VR devices, if built properly. It's also far from the truth that you need 5-10x better hardware than what we have today to have a nice performance. 2-3 also wouldn't do anything in that regard, hardware improvements have been extremely slow in the last decade.