1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving out for the first time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Sep 16, 2014.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So I'm finally leaving the nest after 25 years. I close next week so I need to start shopping for utility providers. The only problem is I don't know what to looks for when it comes to electric, gas etc providers.

How do I determine what is a good price?
    Where can I find the best deals?
    It'll just be me and my girlfriend so I don't think we will use much.

Any help is very much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Just pick whoever is cheap. Some providers give you a lower rate once you go over a certain usage. You'll probably want to avoid that if its just the two of you.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

We have an in house energy guy --- Juan Valdez I believe.

You moving in an apartment or a rental house?

1 person likes this.
  4. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Free nights and weekends plan?

1 person likes this.
  5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

powertochoose.org is the lightbill comparison bill. how to read it, someone can explain it.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

goto powertochoose.com, enter you zip code and pick the provider with the best rate, usually at the top.

easy breezy

1 person likes this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could have sworn he was in the coffee trade. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

tell your gf she is fat and have her generate your electricity with an exercise bike

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I actually bought a home. And I've looked into that website but some of those companies at the top I never even heard of.

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

We're closing on the 22nd. After hours of research, yesterday I signed up with Brilliant Energy. They have a free A/C tune-up, and waive the base charge of $10.99 each month you go over 999 kwh. On top of that, they were the cheapest in my area. Congrats, and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I signed up under TriEagle recently. Works for me, and there are no hidden fees or anything. The weekly usage report is legit but as others have stated, check out powertochoose

Stay away from Constellation aka StarTex

1 person likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

¢7-¢10/KW

1 person likes this.
  13. Classic

Classic Member

This is who I have. I opted for a 36 month contract. Rate is OK, but only 4.99 fee for the month and a straight rate after that.

Will be perfect for me in the winter when I'm only using 2-300 kwh. In the end, probably all evens out.

1 person likes this.
  14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It really doesn't matter. Just look for reviews and make sure they're not completely clueless when it comes to billing, as that is all that you'll really need to deal with them on. No matter who you choose, Centerpoint provides the electricity and is who you call in case of a power outage.

1 person likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

First time moving out and you bought a house with your girlfriend? Good luck.

And I used a "Power Broker" for my house. He gave me a good rate with Texpo. I contact him if I ever have any issues (I haven't) and he deals with the electricity company. I can give you his phone if you'd like.

16. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Where did you get your loan?

17. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

A everyone has said: Power to Choose and don't forget about mytruecost.com. The Power to Choose website is with the Texas PUCT and My True Cost is through Centerpoint Energy. Both sites will be helpful for you. Just remember that all power will come in at the same voltage and amperage so don't worry about the power "quality" of the company. Centerpoint delivers the power and the company/retailer that you select will just handle your billing and customer service. You should pick the plan that makes the most financial sense, AKA the cheapest, for you. Whatever you do don't select a variable rate plan. It will be cheaper some months but others you will pay 15 cents per kwh. I fell for it when I moved out last year and had a $130 bill in November in a 530 square foot apartment.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

My initial thought was going with Direct Energy but I may just keep shopping around.

Anyone have experience with them?

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Victorian Finance

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I used them the last time I rented and didn't have any issues. I was using less than 1000 KWh and I was on a month to month plan.