1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The San Antonio....Raiders!?!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Angkor Wat, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Could it happen? Another Texas rivalry? Matt Schaub back in the Texas?!?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...Raiders-owner-in-talks-with-SA-to-5654812.php

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Would be nice Texas should have 3 teams.

3. Anticope

Anticope Member

Doubt this has any chance of happening, but if it did it would be bad news for those of us in Austin as our Texans games on CBS would then likely default to Raiders games. (Or whatever they would be called..)

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine the ultra powerful owners Jerry and Bob letting this happen.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Could Austin/San Antonio share the team you think? Put the stadium halfway between both cities? Not feasible?

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not feasible. There's no lack of land, but no way SA gives up on having the team within their city limits and finally having a permanent tenant in the Alamodome. It can be euro fitted for the suites and other amenities needed. You're talking about putting the team in New Braunfels or San Marcos. Never happening.

I see jerry jones fighting this and Bob McNair maybe putting up a fight, but ultimately approving the move because that's just what he does. The Texans have completely ignored central Texas so they might not care. What Anticope said is my fear, too. It was bad enough during the VY-in-TN days when the local CBS affiliate would show Titans games over Texans games. With this, we'd likely never see them on tv in Austin again.

7. Remii

Remii Member

I don't see Jerry fighting the move as hard as people think because it's just San Antonio and Jerry has one of the most popular franchises in the country... It's still cowboy fans in Houston and it will still be cowboy fans in San Antonio if they got a team. Plus he has his own marketing deal unlike the other owners in the NFL.

The financial committee would have to approve any move and Bob McNair is the chairman. I could see him putting up a bigger fight than Jerry. Especially with the Texans being still a relatively new

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Lol. Not going to happen.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Raiders will leave Oakland, but I don't think they'll end up in San Antonio unless someone beats them to the punch in LA first.

10. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The team wouldn't thrive well in S.A considering that it is cowboys country. Might be hard to fill the alamodome on Sundays unless they were playing Houston or Dallas.
    Hey but i wouldn't mind a closer home game for me since I live close by.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This is texas, there would be zero problem filling the stadium

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It'll never happen. Central Texas is Cowboys territory and Jerry would throw the biggest fit if San Antonio got a team. Also, the Alamodome is old and the city would need to build a new stadium sooner rather than later.

The NFL will move a team to Los Angeles, London or Toronto before they allow a third team in Texas.

13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I'm sure this is just a leverage move. The Bay Area is dragging their feet on getting them a new stadium so they say they're interested in San Antonio just to get them to move faster.

Surprised they aren't trying to just make a move to LA. That's what the NFL and Goodell have been wanting for years now

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

But if San Antonio gets a pro football team then Dallas will want one too...

1 person likes this.
  15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

There is nothing about SA remotely resembling the Raiders so they need to rename the team the San Antonio Chapsticks (Chaps for short to coincide the western theme Houston and Dallas has).

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How is SA a better option than LA. Really think the owners love not having a team in LA so they can use it as leverage in negotiations.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

San Antonio

1) already has a better stadium

2) is willing to build them a better one in 5-10 years time

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

San Antonio Davy Crocketts
    San Antonio Raccoon Hats
    San Antonio River Walks
    San Antonio Duncans
    San Antonio Pops

That's all I can come up with when I think of SA.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

SA has been used for leverage a million times and that's exactly what's happening here now. zero chance the 36th largest tv market gets a team before LA.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would be for this. Nothing like ripping 1 million Cowboys fans from jerray. And, that'd be an easy road trip to go watch the Texans play.