1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Daily News] Jimmy Johnson turns down offer to be head coach and GM of Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Dec 16, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/375248p-318881c.html

Jimmy Johnson, always a hot name for NFL jobs this time of the year, recently turned down the opportunity to be the coach and general manager of the Houston Texans, multiple sources told the Daily News.
    Contacted yesterday at his home in the Florida Keys, Johnson, who now works for Fox on its NFL coverage, said, "I can't confirm any rumors. I'm happy doing what I'm doing. I have no interest in going back to coaching."

After Johnson turned him down, Texans owner Bob McNair hired former Giants coach Dan Reeves on Monday as a consultant to evaluate the 1-12 team, further evidence that coach Dom Capers and perhaps general manager Charley Casserly are in their final weeks with the disappointing fourth-year expansion team. Although Reeves has denied McNair has asked him if he's interested in Capers' job, he is now considered a likely candidate to replace him after the season and be given total control of the football operations.

Johnson, however, was the big name McNair wanted, sources said. They were together months ago when Johnson was doing a television piece on the Hurricane Katrina evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston. He also visited the Texans' offices. But that preceded McNair contacting Johnson about working for the team. Johnson is from Port Arthur, Tex., and still has family in the area.

Johnson coached the Cowboys to two Super Bowl championships in five years but had a messy divorce with Jerry Jones after the 1993 season following the second of back-to-back titles. After sitting out two years, he was hired to replace Don Shula in Miami, back where he made a name for himself at the University of Miami. But after a disappointing four seasons, he quit after a 62-7 divisional round playoff loss to Tom Coughlin's Jaguars.

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

nice find. terrible news. :(

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

My bad, already in the other thread.

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

I'm going to delusionally call BS on this until opening day next season.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

6. coma

coma Contributing Member

Now that I think about it, I don't think this is true. If McNair really did ask JJ to come onboard, I'm sure he would've assured that if he turned it down, it was kept hush hush.

7. Summer Song Giver

Maybe Johnson leaked it, he strikes me as somewhat of an egomaniac who would release it to show how much of a big shot he is to any other owners who might be offering jobs

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Never trust a NY newspaper, but that really sucks if it's true. I think JJ would have been the right coach to turn this franchise around.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

considering such an offer would be in direct violation of the rooney rule and that mcnair, i'm sure, would be sensitive to running afoul of that rule speicifically, i doubt there's much validity to this rumor beyond casual conversations he may have had with JJ to flesh out his interest that JJ then leaked as fact to bolster his ego and stoke talk about him in league circles.

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

Actually he talked to him, but didn't offer him a job.

"I talked with Jimmy, but I didn't offer him a job," McNair said. "I hired Dan because I'm comfortable with him. We didn't know each other at South Carolina, but when I was putting together (the franchise), he's one of those I spoke with. I can trust Dan to tell me the truth as objectively as possible."

Chronicle

11. Major

Major Member

These things happen all the time to save face. It happened with Notre Dame and Utah's old coach. It happened with Kerry offering McCain the VP spot. The conversation goes something like:

Guy #1: "If we were to offer you a job, would you take it?"

Guy #2: "No"

So Guy #1 can say he never offered the job but essentially have offered it.