1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why the Rockets will be an improved team this season despite common belief

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Oct 21, 2014.

?

Will the Rockets win more than 54 games?

1. Yes.

40 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No.

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. What a joke! They probably won't even make the playoffs!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I keep hearing talk on general NBA forums about how the Rockets took a step back, and the people saying this sound very sure of themselves. Personally, I think these general fans are overlooking a lot of information or are simply not aware. The reasons the Rockets will improve trump the reasons they took a step back in my opinion, and I won't even bother to include the likely possibility the Rockets aren't done making moves.

- Asik struggled with knee problems, he wasn't really making a huge impact until the final 20-30 games of the season. If Joey Dorsey, one of the Rockets new signings who was widely regarded in Europe as the best defensive center, can be more healthy than Asik was last season (high probability) then he will likely contribute to more wins. Just like Asik, Dorsey is a limited offensive player with two specific strengths--defense and rebounding.

- Jeremy Lin had a very disappointing season, his impact was average--this impact will not be hard to replace. Isaiah Canaan and Troy Daniels are two elite snipers with an itchy trigger finger, and they're both eager to prove Lin's departure is a blessing in disguise for Rockets fans.

- Kostas Papanikolaou is looking like a veteran in summer league, with sneaky fakes and Scola-esque scoop shots under the arms of shot blockers, which is no surprise because he spent a few years developing in Europe. Just think of him as a solid bench player who gives the Rockets depth and SF and PF, but he has the potential to be more than just solid. Whatever the case, he's definitely ready to help the Rockets win games.

- Dwight and Harden. I expect Harden and Dwight to have a much better season now that Dwight is 100% and the chemistry has improved. Dwight is now 280lbs but his vertical this off-season recorded as high as it was when he was 240lbs in Orlando. Even Hakeem who has been training with Dwight for a year recently said that he's impressed with how much better Dwight is moving, Dwight is doing things he couldn't do 6 months ago. Dwight even added a dribble-spin move to his game.

- Harden is a better defender at SF as proven during his OKC days where 52% of his minutes were at SF. Ariza doesn't only improve the Rockets defense with his own defense, but he improves Harden's defense too by switching defensive assignments with Harden when it's ideal.

- Perhaps the biggest reason of all: this was the youngest team in the playoffs last season, and I'm confident those young players will also show improvement. I'm not just talking about young guys on the bench like Donatas Motiejunas but also two of the Rockets starters--Terrence Jones and Patrick Beverley. Now going into their 3rd year, all three guys are prime candidates for serious improvement. Just these three guys alone combine for roughly 80 minutes per game, which needless to say is a pretty big chunk of minutes, so you can understand why I say the Rockets youth is arguably the biggest reason the Rockets will likely improve from last season.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Injuries will dictate the total WL record of the the western confrence like it always does.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People are just speculating and predicting.....every season starts out like this.

Once we get settled, strengthen the PG and PF situation more and shore up our Defense then we can talk

4. NotChandlerParsons

54-55, pretty much the same IMO.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

54 games is probably a 3rd seed this year, the league isn't as god awful at the bottom

6. jedicro

jedicro Member

Especially the middle class. 9-11 in the west and 4-8 in the east all look decent this year.

My brother and I tried to rank the teams the other day. It's impossible. Injuries will dictate who does and does not make the playoffs.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dorsey might not even make the team and Canaan is struggling to beat out ish of all people. Lol dont know why people are so high on these 2

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I also think our team is better than last year.

9. calcium

calcium Member

Papas looks v promising.

I think Canaan needs another season to get ready.

And I thought TJones played pretty OK last year but will need
    to be more than OK this year.

I like so many others here, think the greatest need is
    at PF and at PG.

I also think depth is a problem as well. Not as big but a
    problem nevertheless.

So if everyone played better than they did last year then we've improved
    (by definition) and thus a better outfit than last year, but if everyone plays at
    the level they did last year, then I think we are no better, or even have regressed.

Cos the replacement personnel so far has been kind of underwhelming.

Kind of the personnel you would get when you are just treading water.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Backup center doesn't worry me since i've been assuming for a while that the BAE has Okafor's name on it, backup point guard seems a bit meh, and starting PF could use a jolt.

11. bmd

bmd Member

I don't believe Dwight is 280 pounds his year and was 240 in Orlando. He was bigger when he was in Orlando.

12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Pretty Sure 240 was his rookie weight

13. conquistador#11

hope for the best, expect the worst.
    that should be the battlecry for all houston post dream era.

14. john rapto

john rapto Member

Guys do you need a perspective from someone who is not a houston rockets fan (yet)? If you improve your defence (which seems likely with ariza,beverley and papa) and stay injury-free then you have a big chance at the title.

15. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Just got done writing that on the Texans board as well, but yeah I believe Houston fans tend to be more optimistic - despite some salty posts on here. (Just a generalization, not a challenge to prove how pessimistic you are.)