1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is why Curry's not MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, Mar 8, 2015.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Josh Smith has never been an all star, although he was once 2nd team all defense.

2. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

second best record in the league, Westbrook missed games. He was the most valuable player on his team.

There are many factors, you weigh them all.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden (1.5) leads Curry(1.41) in PPS. I guess that doesn't matter?

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

TS% is a superior stat. PPS does not account for FTs. If you you take three shot and make all three shots then your pps is 2.0 if you take three shots and make 2 and get fouled on one and hit both your FTs your pps is 3.0. Your TS% is a 100% in both case. The 100% is more reflective of how efficient you were at making a shot. Harden lives on the FT line curry not as much.

I think Harden has a good case for MVP but using pps is not really valid when curry has a higher TS%, but they are pretty close.

5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Harden will be MVP. Media realize curry ain't helping the warriors win.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In your above scenario, the TS% is 100% for the first situation, and 104% for the 2nd.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Curry exerts such low effort during games for being a MVP candidate, and to put up those kinds of stats. Definitely night and day between him and Rose watching them play. I think Curry will have a long career.

8. solodolo

solodolo Member

You know curry is injury prone as well .. I mean one bad step and his gone for a season with them legs .. it just hasn't happen this year

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

How's he injury prone? He's only had one season where he's lost a lot of games.

10. jdasofjljkf

jdasofjljkf New Member

How can you think Harden is lazy this season???

so stupid well

11. roidrage

roidrage Member

Harden averages 7 assist idiot how is that not a team player?

12. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

How does a player score 11pts after 3 quarters on 4-12 shooting (and with only 3 assists) and is considered the MVP? I don't think I will ever accept the fact that Curry is the main reason the Warriors have done so well.

13. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Amin Ellhassin, and Ethan Strauss are lucky wisconsin beat kentucky tonight., if Harden has a big game tommorow i expect another true hoop vid on monday explaining and making excuses for curry yet again

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They need to just change the name of the award to Most Outstanding Player or something. Curry is likely going to win, but in no way, shape, or form is he more valuable than Harden.

If Harden put up the line Curry did tonight, not only would the Rockets not come close to scoring 120 on a playoff team like Dallas, but they'd get blown out be 15 points minimum.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I still don't get the logic of how having crappier teammates makes you a more valuable player, or having better teammates makes you a less valuable player.

By that logic, Michael Jordan wasn't very valuable. The Bulls won 57 games in 92-93. Then Jordan retired and the Bulls won 55 games the next season. So MJ was worth only 2 wins. Weird logic.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Perhaps coaching and having one of the 10-15 best players in the league at the time also accounts for that?? If that's the case then that's another point for Harden deserving the MVP. No question what player and team has the superior coach (and coaching staff) in his corner...def not the Rockets.

Having crappier teammates makes you a more valuable player when you can elevate their standard of play. Having better teammates doesn't make you a less valuable player but when put in the context of a discussion as to who deserves to be considered most valuable, if the player with crappier teammates can get them to play at a level as high or almost as high (record wise) as the player with the better teammates then logic and stats would show the value of the player with the crappier teammates.

Also, to put your Bulls statement in context with the Rockets and what Harden has been doing- When Jordan left, it was basically like the Rockets w/o Dwight. What Pippen did can correlate with what Harden is doing now, only with a better coaching staff and better teammates.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This. I feel like a JJ Watt MVP situation is going to happen again.
    They might as well have re-named the NFL MVP award the Most Valuable Offensive player award.

Same thing here. I can just see Curry winning at the end of the day with similar schlepping from the media that Rodgers got.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think personal accolades are that important when Curry can say yeah I helped my team achieve ONE OF THE BEST RECORDS IN NBA HISTORY BESIDES THE LEGENDARY BULLS

I give him credit for what he has been doing so far

You have to be great and have a nearly equally good sidekick in KT to form a superstar splash bros duo.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's not an argument in a void as much as its a counter argument to the whole "best player on best team" narrative.

If Curry was ripping off 30/6/5, putting up all nba 1st team defense, there'd be no question, instead he's putting up 23+/7+ whilst being hidden on defense a lot, it's an oddly low amount of production to think he's carrying team to an all time great record.

Simmons has a good way of putting it, replace the guy with an average person at his position and how much changes.

#219 Aleron, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you also clearly and obviously have to take stats into account. and yes curry is has higher %'s but harden's total numbers are all higher almost across the board. which when you couple the fact if the rockets end the season as the 3rd best team and the total numbers are higher he really is the truly better player and has carried his team. im not saying it isnt close but harden in my opinion should win.