1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clutch,

I guess I am being greedy here, but...

Any chance the Rockets land Williams without giving up Lowry?

2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

If this is the only way to attract another superstar (D. Howard) then yes.

However, I have hope that some of those superstars will take notice of what KLow is doing down here and start to see Houston as an attractive destination.

(I voted yes)

3. cod

cod Member

Only if the Rockets can pull off a simultaneous deal to bring Dwight in, then yes.

The Nets shouldn't be this bad. I'm sure Deron will bounce back on a good team but he needs to be a team that's already a contender.

CP3 was able to single handedly get the Hornets into the playoffs.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks Clutch, interesting possibilities. if you'll indulge my inner geography nazi, allow me to point out that Dallas (and Houston, for that matter) are both north of Miami.

5. gotsis

gotsis Member

It would be a big risk and the success of this trade would be defined by the ability to use Williams to attract Dwight.

I voted yes, I think any risk trying to make Houston a title contender again is valid.

My only fear is going through the t-mac, yao era again, two all stars no depth.

Although in all fairness, both dwight and deron don't have the same glaring injury issues that ultimately destroyed the t-mac, yao era.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Gotta say yes just for the chance at Howard.

I love Lowry, but we're not even close to the '05 Pistons model of contending right now, much less the superstar model. Taking a chance on Williams gets us closer to that, and if Howard doesn't come, at least we can go to a full rebuild.

7. thething

thething Contributing Member

Perception is everything. I think Lowry is about as good as Williams but if we get one "Star," we can get another.

We have the depth to cover up anyone we give away.

If we lose Martin? We got Lee.
    If we lose Scola? We got Patterson.

And we have T-Will who can give us good minutes off the bench if needed. We need a 2 for 1 trade and this is that type of deal.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Play Lowry plenty of minutes to get his stats, get some W's, promote the hell out of him, and just like Nash/CP3/Deron, guys will want to play with him too. NBA always has been and will be a league all about hype.

1 person likes this.
  9. cod

cod Member

Deron's career average is 35mins/game

10. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

williams wont come to houston to play with those players get serious :mad:

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Keep in mind Brook Lopez is out. CP3 was impressive in New Orleans... but did at least have David West. And other competent NBA players.

Seriously, look at NJ's roster. Brooks is their second best player. Shelden Williams is getting 20 mpg... a career high, despite his awesome 33% fg%.

That said, Deron's performance has not been as good as it was in Utah. Some of it is probably system, a lot of it is not having very many competent teammates, some of it may be him sandbagging it a bit.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That makes sense. But suppose we miss out on Dwight Howard. Who is next in line that we could have a realistic shot at, with Deron Williams?

13. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

of course, i like lowry but williams is a top pg in the league ;)

14. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

if this is purely for star power, it's kind of a wash. We already have an all star caliber, under appreciated PG. Replacing him with a more well known one isn't going to change our position. Hell, the nets are terrible and they have him and a big man, why would we want to put ourselves in that position?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So? Play them together.

16. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I think the only way lowry doesn't get involved is if the nets are extremely desperate and Williams has made it clear he only wants to go to a Texas team. If that happens, the rockets could possibly get him for a cheaper package.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nobody, but how is that different from today. The only issue there is if they gutted the team to get Williams... but hard to imagine Morey doing that.

I repeat from earlier, though, how do you get Howard even if he's interested? Sign his as a FA? Won't he be losing a bunch of money then, though - something no NBA superstar has done as of yet that I can remember.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Both play larger than their size. It could work.

19. Asian Sensation

Great question.

I'm not sure exactly but I'd feel much more confident we can attract other star players with Deron Williams here as opposed to Lowry. No offense to Lowry of course.

Besides, if getting Williams meant we increase the chance of landing Howard by even the slightest glimmer than I'm all in.

Get Williams first and let everything else play out. One step at a time.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So what's the best case scenario?

PG D-Will/random player
    SG Martin/Lee??
    SF Parsons/Morris
    PF PPat/Morris
    C Howard/Donuts

Is that a championship contender?

PF is clearly weak and Patterson would need to step his game up big time. His rebounding is down and his defense is solid, but not stellar. He wouldn't be much more than a spot up shooter. Parsons would need to find a 3 pt shot. D-Will would need to find his shot, play defense, stay healthy, and return to his all NBA 2nd team level. Martin would need to find his shot as well. Howard would have to cover up for our weak perimeter defense and continue being superman.

For that team to win a title I think Donuts (at the PF) or Morris (at the 3/4) would have to have a huge breakout season. Or if Martin can start getting calls again and shoot above 40% from 3pt land...but he hasn't shot over 40% from there in 3 years.