1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Upgrade at work. Need help!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FishBulb913, Aug 14, 2015.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

So I am getting a computer upgrade at work and was given 3 choices. But I haven't been in the market for a computer for years so I don't know which to go with.

My 3 choices are :
    Dell E7240/7440 - Non-Touch Windows 7. 12 or 14 in
    Dell E7440 - Touch Windows 8
    Surface PRO 3

I'm leaning towards the surface pro because it looks so awesome but I don't know if anyone else has feedback to sway me another way?

This computer will primarily be used docked to 2 screens with a separate keyboard but I figure the tablet aspect would come in handy at times.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Is the Surface Pro 3 with the I3, I5, or I7? Assuming by looking at those other models it might be the I5 and personally I would go with the Surface Pro 3 if it has an I5.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

I just want to say how much I hate the E7240. The 12" screen sucks. The resolution is terrible. The battery lasts like 2.5 hours.

Do you work in the med center? haha.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I have a 7240 and I don't have any issues with the screen or the battery life. My battery lasts all day moving from meeting to meeting.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Join Fsociety, they'll hook you up for sure.

6. FishBulb913

Haha no. I work in downtown San Antonio.

7. opticon

opticon Member

I have used all Three Surface Pros and the Pro 3 is the best out of all of them.

I have had my surface pro 3 since launch and I have been pleased.
    I have the official Microsoft docking station and connect to a 27 inch 2k monitor and I love it.

The Surface pro 3 is a great device just make sure that your IT department lets you purchase a type cover and docking station.
    Also verify that they are ok with you running windows 10. With out windows 10 there are some scaling issues since the native resolution is 2k.

8. Dei

Dei Member

I'd go with the Dell. Business-class notebooks normally are built way tougher than consumer grade notebooks. I'm not sure about Dell's quality, but HP's Elitebook and Lenovo's Thinkpad are solid performers. Whether 12/14" is your choice.

If you'll be using it more as a laptop, the Surface Pro 3 sucks. It's a ****ty laptop replacement. You can't comfortably use it on your lap and the keyboard is even worse than the usual laptop keyboard. If you want OneNote using stylus, though, the Surface is the best hybrid for that. Just know that it's also going to be harder to service once it does give (particularly the battery). The Latitudes should have great support for years to come.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I disagree. My SP3 is my daily driver. I'll agree that you make some concessions w/ a SP3 over a regular laptop however the benefits, for me, outweigh the downsides. I MUCH prefer the light weight, slim form factor, touch screen, long battery life and instant-on capability. I rarely use it like a tablet but it's a nice option.

If you don't move around much so you don't mind carrying 10lbs of machine + accessories then you may prefer a traditional laptop.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Surface Pro 3.

The lightweight factor alone is enough. My old laptop was heavy to the point where I ditched the better specs and larger screen size for a chromebook and haven't looked back.

11. Dei

Dei Member

You're stuck in 2010 if you think laptops are still like that. Ultrabook (and AMD-based equivalents) designated machines are thin, light, blow away Surface's battery life, and aren't compromised by the hybrid form factor. It doesn't fall on its own weight on your lap and, if you do a lot of typing (i.e. work), you know the value of a stable keyboard.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Surface Pro 3, and put Win10 on it. The weak point is the keyboard, but it's no worse than apple keyboard and most blue-tooth keyboard.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would call the surface pro 3 a busn class machine. It's a tablet first, but is a 2-in-1 with that optional keyboard.

The dell choices here is not that good. Low resolution screen. I personally wouldn't use anything with such a low resolution screen. Not just for clarity, but more importantly, real estate.

14. Dei

Dei Member

They have versions with full HD.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My company uses Dell... older Lattitudes that are heavy, slow, and bulky. I much prefer comparable Lenovos (I have used 410s in the past but my own laptop is an x220). The weight and bulk difference is noticeable, especially if you have to travel with it.

Based solely on that I would be tempted by the Surface Pro. With more and more happening in the cloud a tablet seems more and more tempting. I am not a touch typist so the Surface Pro's keyboard is less an issue with me. But I'd suggest going to a store and trying an app or two to see if you would be happy doing real work on it.

btw, I travel with laptops all the time, and I can count the number of times I have used a laptop "on my lap" on one hand. Like, maybe once the past few years? I reckon YMMV.

16. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Surface Pro 3 just for higher resolution and IPS panel vs 2010 "HD" resolution and TN panel.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Is Surface's panel glossy or matte? Most likely glossy right?
    I have an IPS glossy on my Toshiba Chromebook 2 and while IPS is beautiful, any ounce of sunlight and massive glare.

I have a matte IPS Acer display and no glare at all. Big difference!

18. FishBulb913

Update. I'm actually being offered the E7450. They ran out of E7440s haha

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Take it and never look back.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've been on a Surface Pro 3 since December. I love it. The only problem I've had with it is that it seems to have trouble starting up when on the docking station. Otherwise, I love it and hope I never have to go back to a standard laptop. I have the docking station hooked up to 2 22" monitors, giving me 3 screens. When I'm out visiting customers, it fits in my padfolio and the battery lasts well enough that I usually don't need to bring my charger with me.