1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ric Bucher calls out media for unfairly hating on Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Richie_Rich, Oct 22, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I totally missed the red-light story. Maybe it didn't get much local play in Houston because we're a city of redlight runners that actually voted to do away with the traffic light cameras so we could run more red lights with impunity. We probably figured that Howard had quickly acculturated to his new hometown and was now exporting our values to Florida. ;)

2. sabesque

sabesque Member

I totally agree with the bolded. My question was specifically about this quote:

Him saying he has "History" with dwight is interesting. Was there some specific event(s) between Bucher and Dwight? Or was he just admitting to be another critic of dwight?

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I didn't like Howard at all, but he has proven to care a lot more about winning than I thought. Also being in LA just put the spotlight on him instead of him asking for attention, which I always thought he was craving badly. Sure he didn't handle everything perfectly, but since he's been in Houston, he's been great and proven he can do it on the court. So glad we have him!

4. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, I feel the same way. Since I took a break following basketball up until a couple years ago, I didn't know about him except what I read online. Just a few articles in a vacuum, and you can't not have a terrible opinion of him. When he came here, I was looking for all this stuff, but he's not even as big a camera mug as everyone says he is. Even more impressive to me was that he regularly called out faults of both his own play and the team's play in post-game interviews, whether they won or lost. It's one of the few times I can remember of someone NOT giving the stock, worthless post-game interview. I thought, "Wow, he's not smiling goofily; he's seriously looking where they can improve. This isn't the guy that's described in every article out there."

The article is dead-on. If you actually listen to the guy for more than a couple seconds, he sounds a leader, not an idiot. Everybody just piles on him simply because it's what everyone else does.

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I don't have twitter, so can someone please tweet Dwyer a link to this article?

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Kelly has an account on this forum - if he wants to he will read this thread and understand.

he used to post frequently here but since slowed down a lot primarily due to the quality of the type of threads/posts here

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IRJfbgw5VJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You should follow Bill Simons more.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

My first reaction to the article : Ric Bucher's account had been hacked, no way in hell this was written by him.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for dropping by, Kelly.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Bucher is such trash. He literally has zero credibility in the sports world anymore.

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

It sounds like all those red light "citations" were from red light cameras.

I support anyone disregarding the collection notices. They aren't valid anyway.

13. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

He does come across as a sensitive one in the latest anti kobe article on ESPN. This tidbit is from the Lakers pitch to keep dwight.

"When Howard asked why his teammates let the injured center take all the flak when the Lakers' season went south, Nash said he didn't know that Howard had felt that way and that had he known, he would have acted differently. Bryant, on the other hand, offered a crash course in developing thick skin and a mini lecture on learning how to win. Sources told ESPN Insider Chris Broussard that Bryant's lecture was "a complete turnoff" for Howard.

14. sabesque

sabesque Member

I don't blame him for feeling like his team didn't have his back (pun intended). He did take a whole lot of heat that season and he was recovering from back surgery.

There are likely stories like that about tons of superstars. It's funny who is allowed to have leniency and who isn't.

Dwight isn't the first player to want a coach fired (Kobe vs a number of former Laker coaches during his career). Dwight isn't the first player to have problems with a teammate (Kobe vs Shaq for example). Dwight isn't the only player to use his upcoming free agency to force a team to make moves (Kobe in 2004).

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm biased, because if there's a dispute between Kobe and ______, I will tend to take ______'s side.

Not everyone is an uber alpha-dog like Kobe. TMac wasn't. Yao wasn't. Harden isn't. Dwight isn't. It's kind of odd that anyone is still holding that over Dwight's head. Personal differences are personal differences. They happen.

If that had never been so heavily reported and sensationalized (ie if we the public never heard the details) we wouldn't even care, and we wouldn't project it onto Dwight's every move.

And I'm still in the camp that LeBron's "decision" was just as bad as Dwight's handling of free agency. And when I used to rail on LeBron for it, everyone was an apologist in LeBron's favor. Go figure.

Is Dwight a big immature kid? Sure, yes. But he's been a model of a good citizen and decent enough leader in Houston.

#35 napalm06, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Let everyone hate on Howard.
    I think the vast majority of Houston fans have a different take and have an increasingly growing respect for him which I hope Howard knows.
    I was excited when he signed for us (but apprehensive given all the negative press about him) - but he's been a fantastic signing and I hope he's playing for us for years to come.
    Superman is back!

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Also, why is Love not thrashed for forcing his way out of Minnesota after publicly saying he would not extend with basically any team but Cleveland?

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And what about the quality of HIS work??

19. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Cause Love made it clear what his intentions were.

Dwight you had no clue as he wanted a trade to the nets and wasnt going to opt in, but ended up opting anyway and still didnt want to be on the magic.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

that was real bad decision on his part.. i don't care what the magic promised him. that was just a stupid decision to opt in. but in retrospect if he wouldn't have opted in he would of been in brooklyn instead of houston now. So everything worked out for us.