1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Zach Lowe: "Rockets - least watchable of all playoffs teams"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OpenLayup-Why3?, Oct 20, 2015.

1. OpenLayup-Why3?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1-2/

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I take great offense to Lowe's accusations towards Worrell and co.

Sean Elliot makes any Spurs local broadcast unwatchable and has been doing so for a while

Also, Lowe is severely underrating how fun it will be to watch Capela and DMo do their thing.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

zach lowe has an aesthetic issue with our team, it's not exactly news at this point

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

He's somewhat right, you know. I'm being totally unbiased when I say that 3 years ago (pre Dwight) Rockets were playing BEAUTIFUL basketball. I wasn't even mad that DMo was sent to D-league or riding end of the bench, because the type of basketball Rockets were playing was must see. Sure, it didn't end up in being the best way to achieve wins, but it was definitely #1 league pass destination if you were a neutral fan. With Howard came winning, but basketball wise for the most part of last 2 season it hasn't been attractive basketball for neutral fans. And that's what Zach is talking about, he's not calling us bad, he's not saying Rockets are not enjoyable to watch if you're Rockets fan, he says neutral fan wouldn't pick Rockets game over 20 other teams.

5. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

He's right about the complaining of the officiating. But calling Harden's foul calls because the opponent is actually fouling him a flop is asinine.

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

who cares - he isn't out there dribbling a ball. easy to have a mouth piece these days. As long as we win the ring - we can juggle cow **** for all I care.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Who cares what Zach "Big Nose" Lowe thinks.

He had no background in basketball, in fact he was a journalist covering stories outside of sports. The guy admits he doesn't follow high school or college basketball.

He puts in his homework, but he isn't the end all, be all and he is also quite biased, and it shows in his pieces.

Big Nose can write his articles and the Rockets can win on the court.

8. bmd

bmd Member

I will never understand why people expect the home team's announcers to be unbiased. They are not supposed to be unbiased! They are Rockets fans who are broadcasting for Rockets fans who are being paid by the Rockets (not Root) on he Rockets' broadcast in the Houston area.

With local announcers, it is 100% acceptable to be homers.

It is only in bad form for a national broadcast (ESPN, TNT, etc.) to have homer announcers.

So that's a really dumb complaint on Lowe's part. And many fans also complain.

2 people like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I literally don't think I could care less whether other people find Rockets basketball attractive.

Wait...I do care...I kinda hope they don't.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Who cares if he finds them fun to watch. I mean that seriously: who of us really, truly cares if Zach Lowe enjoys watching the Rockets?

As long as he gives our team the respect they deserve (and he does, fairly often) then why care about anything else he has to say? If he dislikes our jerseys, court, Worrell&Co... who cares?

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If you don't like the team, you won't like the crew being homers, it's no real coincidence that most criticism towards them have come in the wake of the unpopular players. There hasn't been any change in actual crew performance or what they discuss, etc, since they were generally considered a top 5 broadcast crew.

The only real problem local crews are guys like the warriors crew who don't have a clue whatsoever about their opponents, and in some cases, basketball in general.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

The only part about a Rockets game that's hard to watch to me, is when the other team intentionally fouls our horrible free throw shooters.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

What about all the Howard and Capela alley oops and pick n' roll dunks!?

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Worrell and co. are definitely not the most biased commentators. Boston, San Antonio and Denver easily top them.

15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

add Clippers to that list. :eek::eek:

16. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Some like Lowe, some don't. But calling him "Big Nose" makes you sound like you're from the 1950s.

1 person likes this.
  17. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Who cares? He's not saying they won't be good. Just that they are not aesthetically pleasing. And he's not necessarily wrong. And he compliments Harden.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Did you not actually read the thing? He doesn't say anything about complaining about officiating and specifically says this about Harden:

The basketball product has become underrated amid constant shrieking about how James Harden allegedly sullies the game with his shoulder-shaking, Euro-stepping floppery. Come on. Harden draws fouls because he’s the league’s preeminent expert in using weirdo change-of-pace moves to tip guys off-balance, and when he detects a path to the rim, he’s as explosive as almost anyone. Harden draws fouls because people foul him..

1 person likes this.
  19. J Hard

J Hard Member

20. Nook

Nook Member

I take it you have a monster nose too.