1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Terrence Jones could be asking for $15M per year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he's more skilled but it doesn't show up very often. He sometimes shows that he can dribble in transition, but he can't reliably create his own shot (most of the time he tries he ends up getting blocked, missing, or turning the ball over) and he's at his best when someone else is creating an open dunk or layup for him or when he gets a rebound and puts it back. That's why I call him a "garbage man". I get that he's not a very good rebounder, so he's not a true garbage man, but that's when he looks best.

Jones is an okay player coming off the bench, but until he can learn to shoot the 3 at an acceptable rate and learn how to play defense properly he won't be any more than an okay bench guy. Maybe the light came on and he figured all of that out in the preseason, but I can't assume that happened till I see a reason to believe it.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I certainly hope so. If he manages to turn the corner and up his game because of things he reads here, then it can only mean good things for the Rockets this season.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Your definition of garbage man needs serious updating.

That's something you'd call Chuck Hayes on offense. Completely different levels of offensive impact, ortg, etc.

Still waiting for an example of someone who could easily replace his production

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Exactly. Jones/D-Mo would be great if this were the Kevin Martin era. But we're contending for a championship now. We need a proven vet at that spot..

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I gave one right off the bat, Montrezl Harrell could very likely replicate Jones' production.

I know Jones isn't as good a garbage man as someone like Chuck Hayes was, but that doesn't change the fact that is what he is. A garbage man who can dribble is still a garbage man. Sure it separates him from garbage men who aren't as good in transition, but it doesn't make him not a garbage man.

6. Mr. Clutch

Hayes didn't have a career 117 or elite finishing ability. Hayes was a great DEFENDER. It's amazing you didn't know that.

Your only example is Harrell because any guy with NBA experience is highly unlikely to have a 117 Ortg and be an elite finisher at the rim.

Harrell couldn't even finish as good as Jones in college.

He also isn't signed because we value flexibility more.

Seriously, you can't think of an NBA player to replace Jones? Yet you claim he's easily replaceable?

7. Mr. Clutch

Yep, Aldridge is what a real max player looks like in case anyone was wondering. He put up 18 and 7 in his second year, not 12 and 6 with major holes in his game.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Where has that "elite finishing ability" been in games that matter most? It's not surprising to most that it disappears when he's not getting open dunks and layups. There's nothing at all "elite" about Jones' skillset....most have figured that out by now, others are a bit slow, but I hope by this time next year everyone will have figured it out.

9. Mr. Clutch

His finishing is elite. That's been proven statistically many times already. No idea why you want to rehash that point

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really not, when you look at raw numbers without any understanding of how and why they happened then you can get some pretty ridiculous results. We might as well say Dwight Howard is an elite 3 point shooter after he finished the season shooting 50% from there.

According to offensive rating, Pablo Prigioni and James Harden were equals last season and Jones was the 3rd best offensive player on the team behind those two.

Those who know just enough about using statistics to get themselves in trouble yet not enough to come up with a legitimate analysis are usually the last few defenders of Jones and I don't think it's a coincidence.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fun thing about Jones is that last year more than 65% of his "shots" came in the restricted circle while more than 60% of his shots had no defender within 2 feet....Lots of uncontested layups and dunks.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Exactly. Jones' finishing has been the exact opposite of "elite" these last two playoff series. He needs to be set up for baskets and when his finishing is not good, he's garbage because he's more or less useless at everything else.

14. Mr. Clutch

I wouldn't say he's useless everywhere else. He's a decent rebounder and shotblocker. Can handle it a bit but I'd never think he could be a Josh Smith type.

But yes he needs to improve in the playoffs.

15. dmoneybangbang

Well from Clutch Fans to The DreamShake.... one would think one would realize maybe their opinion and analysis isn't complete when you constantly have people correcting oneself..... :confused:

16. dmoneybangbang

Speaking of context....

Why are the playoffs for a player with 2 years of NBA experience (played in 109 out of 164 games), 1 year of D League held in such high regard?

How do you quantify the impact of his injuries the last season in regards to performance?

You don't come off very objective. And I'm still waiting for you to quantify a "garbage man". I'm sure others are waiting for you to list players that can easily replace what TJones bring. Prove you aren't a troll.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

exactly. he was in and out and injured the entire year. if he is healthy this next season and doesnt take a step forward then b**** and moan. otherwise we get it mr bobbygreat and mr bballholic

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

At least he played. For the level of vitriol Jones receives, you'd think he hadn't gotten off the bench in the playoffs at all, a la DMo.

19. NotChandlerParsons

Mirror, mirror on the wall
    Who's posted the most out of them all

20. malakas

malakas Member

Harrison Barnes turned down 64/4. Now this is an extension AND in the early stages for talks. So his asking price may be much higher. For an extension (exhanging early security for a discount). For free agency next year the price is much higher. His new agent is Swartz.