1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Realtors...am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That's all you are really talking about, a negotiation of relative price. IF the shower needs to be fixed it effects the value of the house. Either they fix it and you pay the agreed price for a ready-to-go house or they don't and the house is worth less by the amount needed to repair it.

What's the estimate to fix it? Would you have the cash left after your DP and costs to fix it? If not probably the best approach is for the seller to fix it so the cost gets built into the price and the financing you expect.

But also, how willing are to go back to square 1 looking for a house> That is worth something, but is it worth the hassle and cost to fix the shower? I actually don't think it's that big a deal to to break out the tile , put in a new pan and re-tile it.

it looks like about a grand:
    http://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_install_shower_pan.html

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, it was all for naught. The sellers and their agent went quiet and we had to pull the plug. They apparently thought we were bluffing.

Oh well...s*** happens for a reason sometimes.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That sucks. The sellers seem like really unreasonable people. Good luck with the house hunt.

4. Dubious

The sellers are now going to have to disclose the shower issue to any new prospects. Once they see they are probably going to have to fix it you might re-approach their agent. Give it a week, if you haven't found something else you want.
    (and really a grand on a $200,000 house isn't that big a deal)

5. leroy

We figured the total job to be in the area of $3k. Not a huge sum of money. I had considered letting them slide last night when we got a couple of estimates. But with the clock ticking down on the option period, they stopped answering calls and texts from my agent. Nothing we can do if they won't communicate. They got the termination paperwork before midnight. Maybe they'll wake up and realize they've been completely stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't disclose it and hope another inspector doesn't find it. My agent, who is a lifelong friend, is going to keep an eye on it and make our inspection report readily available for anyone else that goes under contract with them.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, did you go under contract with them at the amount that was in your "best and last" offer you had referenced a few weeks back?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My feeling on the justice of it is that if there is a defect that is readily apparent to the buyer when he makes the offer, the buyer must pay. If the defect is is hidden but could reasonably be expected (like wear and tear) there is room for a negotiated settlement. If the defect is hidden and not reasonable to be expected (like bad construction), the seller should pay.

That was my experience with my house purchase gone wrong. We set a deadline and they thought we were bluffing, so they silently let the deadline pass. Then they started calling when they got the termination papers. I wonder how often that works for them -- are realtors often rewarded by calling after termination? Because to a neophyte like me it looks like a terrible strategy. Or is it that most of the time, the buyer is bluffing and will cave when the seller refuses to reply?

8. leroy

Well, it seemed to shake them...receiving the termination papers last night. Now they're coming back with a counteroffer to credit us. We're debating it. I want the credit in cash, not on off the sales price because that does us no good. I also want more than what they're offering. That would only cover the labor...if there's no further damage.

#48 leroy, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  9. Dubious

I think they should get their own contractor's estimate in writing and agree to pay the bill for repairs out their own pocket, work to be done after move out and before closing. (And, have their contractor provide you with a release of lien to show their debt is paid so he doesn't place a lien on your house, because he can if they didn't pay) They can charge it on their credit card and not pay the bill until after they have their closing proceeds.

everybody's happy

1 person likes this.
  10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

good luck Leroy.

Sounds like the house is yours if you want it. You're within a couple grand or so which isn't a huge deal in the long run. But a much better deal if it's in your pocket rather than theirs.

So decide if you want it, be sure you comfortable there isn't a lot more shoddy work you're unfamiliar with, watch Glengarry Glen Ross and make your move if you want to.

11. leroy

Thanks...

Update: Sellers went to their insurance agent this morning and have the adjuster coming out tomorrow to possibly have the work covered under their insurance. This way, all they'll be out of pocket for is the deductible...especially if there is any further damage than just the leaky tiles. So, we're still in this thing. What I think happened was that the husband was the one being too rigid and when they received the termination papers from us, the wife got pissed. She realized this was going to prevent her from moving into the house they're building.

I hope it works out. Sending the termination was the best thing because it shook them up and gave us the firm upper hand. We were willing to walk one time...we'll do it again if need be.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

In that case you're golden. Be patient!

The husband's thinking, he's not getting his damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and he ain't gonna have no money to buy his son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And his wife ain't gonna make love to him if he got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, divide and conquer. But, it's hard to say. In my case I was talking about, our realtor was guessing from the the things the other realtor had said that she didn't even communicate our threat to walk away to her clients before we sent the termination papers. I don't know if he was right about that. But, it's fun to imagine the conversation she must have had with them the next morning.

14. leroy

Well, communication hasn't been the seller's agent's strong point. She even admitted that she was intimidated by the husband. I believe they thought we wouldn't do it and got a nice little shock when they woke up the next morning (we didn't send the notice until near midnight). I think he then got the smack down from the wifey who wants her shiny new home that will be ready in time to close the day after we close on this one.

15. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Leroy, the only piece of advice I can give regarding a home purchase is to listen to the voice inside your head. We went to buy our first house back in 2003, there were 3 different instances that should have stopped me from buying the house. 3 different times the voice inside my head was telling me to walk (for various reasons which I won't bore you with). I ignored those opportunities to walk because my heart kept saying "it'll be ok". Fast forward 5 years and it ended up being the worst decision of our life. House started falling apart, neighborhood went to crap; combined with the market tanking...we were sunk in that house. Luckily we managed to sell it for only a $5K loss, but it took 4 years to accomplish that.

All I'm saying is...pay attention to the signs. If after all is said and done you still feel 100% great about the house, then congrats on the new crib. But if there is anything at all that gives you pause (and water damage could be a BIG one), then I'd seriously reconsider. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  16. leroy

Agree with everything. This will be the 3rd home we purchased. First one was a starter home, new construction. When I look back at all of the mistakes I made with that one...cheaping out on stupid stuff when in the grand scheme of things would've been pennies per month...I laugh.

We'll be in the heart of The Woodlands so I'm not too concerned about the neighborhood. There's a ton of kids around that appear to be the same age as ours and we're zoned to one of the best elementary schools in the area. We're getting a lot 3x the size of the rental house we're in now and 2x larger than the home we had in Round Rock. It's a 25 year old house so I certainly have the expectations of problems in the not too distant future. At the very least, we caught this problem with the shower (previous inspection did not catch it) and the sellers are taking care of it under the supervision of our agent...who is also a contractor and knows his stuff.