1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Jones?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BDJ, Jan 11, 2002.

1. BDJ

BDJ Member

I hear the Riley is looking to cut salary and get younger. Does anyone think that he would trade Jones for Mobley, KT, and Walt Williams?
    The deal would give Riley two good young players (though they are not stars) and the cap space he needs to chase Tim Duncan (Walt).
    The deal would also give us somebody more dependable at shooting guard who is also capable of playing allstar level defense (after Mo Taylor' return, I feel that defense is the Rockets' most pressing need).

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I wonder how come everyone in the league is trying to clear space to try to go after Duncan except us? I guess we are so loaded that we don't need a top 5 player in the league. We're just too talented and don't want to be like Portland. :mad:

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

We won't be far enough under the cap to work out any deal, unless we could unload Rice, Taylor, or Cato. Also, we would need to use 11+ mill on Francis.

I used to be a really big EJ fan, but I have noticed that he has never really showed up in big games...

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If you don't consider those players stars why would Miami trade for them? And if they're trying to free up cap space why would they take Mobley, who isn't making that much less then Jones and is signed for another 5 years or so? Why would Miami trade away star players when they're getting in return what you say aren't star players? And why would they want KT when they're already overloaded with PFs?

5. BDJ

BDJ Member

Teams trade a star player for a collection of good players all of the time (2 for 1, 3 for 1, 4 for 1, etc). Trades are not always straight up star-for-star. Look at the Eddie Griffin deal - the Nets took three good role players for one potential star.
    Also, Mobley makes almost half of what Jones makes (the max), Williams contract expires after this year, and KT is still playing under the rookie wage scale next year, so Miami receives significant cap flexibility in return.
    Also, Miami only has two true power forwards, Brian Grant and Chris Gatling. Gatling is in Riley's doghouse all of the time and (I feel that) KT is an improvement over him anyway. And, if Mourning is forced to retire because of his kidney disease, Grant will wind up playing center for them full-time (like he did last year), thus making acquiring another power forward a pressing need for the Heat.
    Finally, the Heat are going nowhere and their local fans and media are calling for the team to be blown-up. We should be able to swoop in and pick up a nice piece like Eddie Jones from them.

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

Eddie Jones is anti-clutch, has a much larger contract, is slipping on defense, and is older than Mobes. Why would we want to trade not only Mobley, but also KT and Walt for him. If you replaced Mobes with Morris and Langhi or something I would say go for it, but then Miami probably wouldn't do the deal. Mobes is the worst player to trade on the team. Whatever you get for him won't be worth giving him away. Right now our best trading option is Steve, who I would like to keep, or EG. How about a Steve and Mo for Duncan and Daniels deal. Maybe throw in some picks. Then try to get Steve back in free agency.

1 - Daniels, Norris, Brown
    2 - Mobley, Torres
    3 - Rice, Williams, Morris
    4 - Griffin, Thomas, Willis
    5 - Duncan, Cato

That is a championship contending team.

7. BDJ

BDJ Member

As Calvin Murphy often says, not all teams are for all players. I think that Eddie's game has slipped not because he's fallen off, but because the Heat as a team have collapsed under Riley's iron fist. I admit that Eddie's overpayed and could never carry a team, but he would be great playing second fiddle to Francis. I like him better than Mobley because I think that Cuttino is a one-dimensional gunner who cuts into Steve's touches. Guards like Mobley are great off the bench (ex: Tony Delk), but they aren't the stars you need to win a championship.
    Also, any team with Duncan will be a championship contending team - that's why the Spurs will never trade him (especially to their in-state rivals).

8. Dm324

Dm324 Member

we would never trade francis and Mo for daniels and Duncan, daniels is a 2 guard who is not capable of running this team,i think we do neeed to trade mo, how bout Mo and Glen for Doug Christie and gerald wallace, we would get our defenzive guy in christie, and our future 3 with wallace

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No one wants our trash. If you're Sac, why would you want Taylor or Rice. They have Turkglou on the bench and Pollard also with Funderburke. Why would they want 2 overpaid soft,injured players adding to their payroll. Besides, Christie is their best defender.

10. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Not if the Rudy's Coaching. First they would have to get chemistry and that could take 4 or 5 yrs.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Rudy is almost as bad at ruining players with his system as Riley is.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Eddie Jones is a 31 year old guard that is shooting 42% from the feild and he has six years left on a contract that is just huge. I like Eddie but I would not trade Mobes for him at this point in his career unless he was going to be the missing link to the finals this year or next and he clearly is not that.

It would be interesting to see him at the 3 next to Mobes and Steve but he is making over 10 mil this year and for that I would rather not have him.