1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

March 7th, Rockets @ Nuggets Roll Call? (with a cool story bro, story)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfan21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

How many Clutchfans-ers are going to be in attendance at the Pepsi Center this weekend? I ask because last time I was blown away by the turnout of Rockets fans vs Nuggets fans. And without further adieu, my story.

I've been a proud Rockets fan since I was just a little kid watching The Dream lead us to the back to backs in the 90's. I hopped on the bandwagon just before our title run, because at 6 years old I asked my dad the name of some of the teams. The conversation basically went like this, "there's the Warriors, the Knicks the Sonics, the Jazz, the Rockets..." and I immediately stopped him and said, "that's my favorite team!" My sister intrudes, "you only said that because you like their name" (she was right). Still I countered with, "Nooo!! That's always been my favorite!" From that moment on I was infatuated with the team. As a little kid growing up in Montana, you have three main choices. Pick the closest team (Sonics, Nuggets, Jazz). Pick the Bulls because everyone loved Michael. Or just pick some random team. Looking back at my fandom that became an obsession with the Rockets, I'm so glad it happened that way and can't even imagine having picked another team (imagine me stopping him at Jazz and picking them!).

Anyways, fast forward twenty years, it's 2013 and I had finally moved out of Montana , but still never seen my Rockets live in person (believe it or not, the Rockets don't have any road games in Montana), despite watching them religiously on national TV and then league pass as soon as that was invented. At this point I'm living in Denver and immediately looking at the schedule to see when the Rockets come. To my disappointment, last season they only came once, but of course I was there. That game felt surreal finally seeing them live, but it wasn't an overly exciting game. Harden was held quiet. Dwight and Bev sat out. It was a bit of a breakout game for Troy Daniels (4 fourth quarter treys). By the fourth quarter I'm chanting "Let's go Vipers! Let's go Vipers!!" as we fielded a line up that included Daniels, Canaan, and Covington and nearly had us back in the game. Alas, we lost, but I still was blown away finally seeing them live.

Let's fast forward one more time to this season, and here comes my favorite part and the moment that made me so proud to be a Rockets fan. I'm sure you all remember the epic game, in which we came back in the fourth quarter, Afflalo hit the three to force overtime until the Rockets finally pull away. What blew me away was the atmosphere. I am often times a little disappointed watching home games, because I'd like for it to always be what it was against Cleveland on Sunday. I realize it's hard to create a playoff atmosphere every game when you get to see up to 41 regular season games per year, while I get two. Regardless, I personally only know one Rockets fan. So to go to a Rockets road game and be surrounded by so much red is an awesome experience for me. I literally high five and shout "Clutch City!!!" at every Rockets fan I see. The best part came in overtime with the PA announcer trying to get the fans doing some "Let's go Nuggets!" chants to get them back into it. What blew me away was that all I could hear was "Let's go ROCKETS!! Let's go ROCKETS!!" With that being an ESPN game I was wondering (and still unsure) if it's something the announcers noticed. Either way it gave me chills and made me so proud to be a fan of this team.

tldr; cool story bruh, Rockets DO have the best f'ing fans in the world (Bev was right), and I LOVE THIS TEAM!!

So if any of you loud Rockets fans were the one's drowning out the sorry Nuggets fans last time in town, let's grab some beers at Brooklyn's before the game. Be loud and proud. I love Red Nation, and I want you to love it too. :grin:

3 people like this.
  2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Thank you for sharing.

Good job Rockets fans!

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I would love to go if I lived up there. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a good showing of fans compared to Nuggets fans anyway since they have about given up on the season. Hopefully should be a win for the good guys as well

4. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Brian Shaw won't be there.

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Good stuff!!

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

5 stars

didn't read :)

7. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Cool story! Maybe Ty will switch jerseys at halftime.

8. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Awesome M8 :)

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Fun read. Would let you read to me again.

10. Ol Bill Worrell

very cool. I've been to a Rockets Mavs game and there were tons of Rockets fans. Granted it was in Dallas but still cool to experience so much support for the Htown Boys in Dbag Town.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Look for a guy wearing sandals while sporting his Luther Head jersey. ;)

12. tomato

tomato Member

Fashion faux pas! Luther Head jersey in public!

13. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Was in attendance at that same game, took an Israeli friend who had never seen an NBA game before. Amazingly, he was a huge Rockets fan, though actually couldn't stand Omri Casspi since he was a former Maccabi Tel Aviv player.

Considering the game was out of hand by the start of the 4th, by far the most memorable moment was a fan in Rockets gear getting heckled hard by Rocky (Denver's mascot). Started when Rocky ran down the aisle spraying silly string over all the crowd; apparently some got into this guy's beer, and you could visibly see him get upset and ask the mascot if he was going to get a replacement. When he didn't get an answer to his liking, he dumped the beer right on Rocky's head.

It might have been a plant, but it was a damn good acting job if it was, and security sprinted to confront this guy, and he was clearly threatened with expulsion. At least 3-4 times during TV timeouts the camera panned to the guy, and the arena booed him harder than Roman Reigns winning the Royal Rumble. Rocky mocked coming back with a super-soaker a few times, but even security stopped him from getting within a few rows of the guy. Pissed-off Rockets fan was gone by the end of the 3rd, I think.

Sad that I moved away from Denver, great city, great arena. Should be some great deals for lower bowl seats, considering how bad the home team is again...

14. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I hope everyone realizes that I'm taking full credit for the back to back finals run by becoming a fan midseason, because I liked the name "Rockets" as a little kid.

Yeah, last year's game. That was pretty funny. I definitely don't think that was staged, but like you said if it was then it was great acting. That game was memorable for me, because it was my first live Rockets game, but the one from this year was even more memorable because we won in such epic fashion.

15. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Bumpty Dumpty. I know you exist, Denver Rockets fans. Where ya at?

16. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Game day bump. Last one, I promise. Anyone else going tonight? Or just me and Luther Head in sandals?

17. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

seemed like there were a ton of Rockets fans at the Pepsi Center tonight.

18. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Thanks for reppin the Rockets up in Denver! Loved the MVP chants during Harden's free throws. Well done!

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You guys were amazing!

20. i3artow i3aller