1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015 NBA Jersey Sales] Rockets/Harden not in top 15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GetThatLight, Apr 14, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We're not changing anytime soon because of one complicated word - Le$

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Houstunna - where or when you wear a Pacers jersey is really none of my concern, but since you asked, I will share my wisdom:

If you ARE playing basketball

I covered this situation in the very first sentence.

When playing basketball it's slightly more appropriate, though of course not necessarily advisable. A plain old t-shirt is more than adequate in most cases (or what if you get involved in a game of shirts v. skins?) and is functional off the court (and doesn't leave you showing your smelly pit hair in public, always a plus)

The other reason why it's not advisable is the statement it conveys on the court. Houstunna, when you put on a Paul George #24, or a vintage Reggie Miller 90's throwback, you presume to follow in those gentleman's footsteps. So unless you can fill it up from outside a la Reginald, or jack up shots and not be able to create off the dribble like your hero Paul George, you are apt to look even more foolish than your present state, which is already considerable.

If you are NOT playing bball (or other sports)... is it preposterous to want to wear (you or your child) a jersey/hat/logo that looks good

No it is not, again, please note this was likewise covered above.

Good job, good effort though.

4. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

re: Le$: Wouldn't that be an argument TO change the jerseys? I mean, this article implies that the Rockets aren't doing so well in terms of merchandise sales. Better gear = more merch sales.

5. today

today Contributing Member

I'm really interested to know the story here...

As I recall, Calvin was accused of abusing his own children. The allegations came from kids from one woman (apparently he has quite a few kids by at least 2 different women, but it was only the kids from the estranged woman that were making the allegations). Calvin was immediately let go by Les. 2-3 months later the charges were dropped or he was found not guilty because the allegations were false and it came out that the kids were trying to get money out of Calvin. The kids from the other woman came out and said that they were never abused and they thought the other kids were lying.

I kept waiting for Calvin to be re-instated, but it never happened. Then I recall hearing rumors here on the board that Les was just looking for an opportunity to fire him.

Anyone?

6. SamFisher

It's actually 14 children by 9 different women.

Dude has some behavioral problems keeping it in his pants.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

When that baton goes up in the air the panties immediately drops.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't know if it's been said or not yet but IMO our jerseys are ugly.

9. sabesque

sabesque Member

Here's an article on when he was rehired

This is WAYYYYY off topic, but it sucks that he can be falsely accused, acquitted, and yet still have his life wrecked. But if there is any people to blame for that, its the people who falsely accused him.

10. Textroets

Textroets Member

Man I can't and could never believe the hate for the "angry rocket/early 2000" logo on here. I for one like it and when the conversation is brought up with other sports fans who aren't on CF, I've never heard anyone say they disliked it. It at least was unique and had creativity.

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

This is legit

12. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

People who mistook my firing of Calvin relating to his off the court issues, I specifically said early in his tenure so I'm referring to Leslie firing him for no reason other than not liking him. He was re-hired quickly after the fans stood together and pleaded how much they loved him. It was only in 2004 when he was let go because of those allegations.

Second thing, for all the idiots in here thinking they can tell people when to wear a basketball or NBA jersey, you can eat something or shove something. Who are you to tell what people can or should wear and when or how. I wear an NBA jersey regardless of what that says about me or how I'm 'supposed' to be just as good as those players. I'm a fan, so if you tell me I cannot wear a Mutombo / Olajuwon Rockets jersey, a Abdul-Rauf / Pack Nuggets jersey, a Bogues hornets jersey, then I just shrug and laugh it off because you're pathetic. I am only 5'7 and one time this guy I had beef with said he had never seen a guard wear a center's jersey. That was also a logic I really do not follow.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Usually teams change jerseys more frequently to generate cash.

At any rate, aren't jersey sales shared revenue across the league?

14. SamFisher

Nobody's saying what you can or cannot wear, but thank you for proving my point in that you merely beg ridiculous questions when you wear them.

First off, in terms of the look itself, you have 2 choices

1. Wear the jersey with nothing underneath, in which case it's possible to look not terrible, provided your upper body resembles a slab of granite mounted on an ironing board, a la Dwight
    [​IMG]

Of course even THIS look lends itself to questions. Why would you go guns blazing to a gun free school zone? A pool party in South Beach, sure. A trip to the grocery store, meh....any occasion requiring even an ounce of formality? Nope.

2. Wear the jersey with a t-shirt or even worse, a long sleeve shirt, or worst of all, a collared shirt underneath

This is the worst look in the history of mankind.

Words are not necessary to describe how oafish you look here. THe message you send "I don't work out/have the genetics to pull this look off but Imma go ahead and do it anyway now I appear to be wearing a ladies camisole over my normal clothes"

Just don't do it. It doesn't matter that it was a popular hip hop look in the mid aughts -

<iframe width="630" height="354" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MNeHoRSlvrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- lots of things were popular in the mid aughts. Going to war in Iraq. low rise jeans. "To Catch a Predator". They are no longer popular, with good reason.

3. You prove antoher point above by revealing the disconnect that occurs when you don a players jersey to play ball in and don't play ball in teh fashion of that player. If you're not going to swat shots and finger wag, perhaps you shouldn't sport Mutombo colors. If you emulate somebody's style, you can't stop halfway. It's like you're sporting an Earnest Hemingway t-shirt while composing Iambic pentameter - it just doesn't match up.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Houston is just not a basketball town, this is evident from all those empty seats, and fans show up late & leave early.

Also, the jersey sales has more to do with the entertainment, the Rockets' style is just not very exciting to the casual fans.

16. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

You are clearly part of the fashion police or read too many girl magazines.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sammy, if you read the OP you'd realize the Rockets' crap sales aren't limited to just jerseys. .. it's all their merchandise.

Your suggestion of substituting hats, t-shirts, etc for jerseys is invalid because NONE of the Rockets merchandise is selling.

Bottomline, Rockets gear needs an upgrade.

Reggie Miller 8pts/9secs > McGrady 13 in 33

Nice alternate account in Post #54.
    Guy became a member shortly after you.... has 85 posts in 11 years.... then out of nowhere, responds with nothing but complete agreement with you.
    LMAO.. mmmkay

18. sabesque

sabesque Member

They've sold out every game this year, or nearly every game this year. Fans show up late and leave early for Texans games too.