1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV receivers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lonestar28, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Any suggestions on brand names and model numbers? I have a Sony HDTV. Should I stick with a sony receiver?

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What provider do you have for tv? Cable, DirecTV, Dish? You have to get a receiver that is compatible with whatever service you use.

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

It doesn't matter which HD receiver you get. I have DIRECTV and just got upgraded to their new mpeg-4 receiver and 5 LNB dish. If you have DIRECTV, you're really don't have a choice, they just give you their HD receiver.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is a receiver by itself really only good for over the air HDTV stuff - i.e.'s the NBCs, CBSs and whatnot.

Because doesn't every major tv provider (be it cable or satellite) offer HDTV now as part of their boxes?

5. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I have DirecTV. I called customer service yesterday and they did not mention the upgraded box (like Time Warner has). I was told I needed a receiver and it had something to due with the apartment complex I live in (midtown).

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I have DirecTV also. You will have to get a new box (receiver) before you can pickup HD. I just got the HR10-250 recently. Here are your options:

Hughes HR10-250 - This is the HD Tivo box, and currently the only box available for use with DirecTV that is HD and has recording (DVR) capability. It will cost you at least a few hundred dollars, depending on what kind of deal you can work with DirecTV's customer retention department. It is an MPEG-2 receiver, which means you will still need a seperate antenna to pickup local (OTA) HD broadcasts (For NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB, PBS, UPN.) I bought a $25 indoor antenna from Wal-Mart that sits on top of my entertainment center that works great.

H20 receiver (DirecTV brand) - This is the new MPEG4 HD receiver. You can essentially get this box for free, as it costs $199 with a $200 mail in rebate. You do not need a seperate antenna to pickup local HD channels. It will require you to get a new 5LNB dish though before it will work. It does not have the ability to record.

I got the HR10-250 because I just can't live without DVR functionality, and I wanted HD. Rumor is that once the new MPEG4 DVR comes out later this year, they will upgrade HR10-250 owners for little or no cost.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's correct (first part, at least :D ). I have a HiSense USD HDTV Receiver i bought about 2 years ago in WalMart for about $200. This allows me to watch ALL HDTV from major networks, almost ALL sporting events, the Prime Time shows, on WideScreen HDTV in 5.1 surround sound. NO CABLE or SATELLITE needed.

All you need is an AMPLIFIED antenna from RCA or GE that does HD reception and can connect via coaxial to your Sony, LoneStar.

I am still pissed I can't get 51 on the receiver every now and then and have to switch to regular non-digital. :mad: By December 31, 2006, all TV stations must carry Digital programming, according to www.dtv.gov . See more Consumer Info on http://www.dtv.gov/partners.html .