1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texan Receivers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by spence99, Oct 30, 2005.

1. spence99

spence99 Member

I went to the game today and could not believe how bad our routes our receivers run are. They NEVER run any routes to the middle of the field. Every route is to the outside of the painted numbers. Our coaches are terrible! It's pretty easy to defend the pass when the offense doesn't take advantage of 60% of the field! I've been mad at Carr for never throwing the ball, but a lot of times there are no open guys. Maybe if we came up with more than 3 different routes, they could get open.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Atleast we won the game. But I agree, w/o AJ in the lineup, our receiving core is very weak. Gaffney is our 2nd option and that really isn't a good sign, Bradford has yet to show up, ever. Mathis has the speed, but hands and route running must improve, ala Jermaine Lewis.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Bradford has to go. Armstrong should really take over his role

Mathis will get better considering in college he just lived off of his speed. He never really needed to learn how to do precise routes. That'll change but already he's had a great impact in terms of kick returns. Gaffney is a solid #3 reciever but sadly he's our #1 right now.

AJ should come back and hopefully Mathis will get better. Gaffney already hit his peak and won't get better but he's still fairly solid. But we should give bradford the heave ho eventually.

4. Summer Song Giver

Bradford is a bum. He has hands of granite. Mathis, Derrick Armstrong or Kendrick Starling should immediately replace him on the depth chart.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed, but also, Carr is inconsistent...Granted, he is probably just as surprised as we are that he has an open target and even more surprised when they actually catch the ball..

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I think we should have kept Sloan Thomas and dropped Bradford, but oh well.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Anybody know when AJ is suppose to return?

8. Toast

Toast Member

I've been to 2 games this season - Pitt & Indy.

Both times, you watch the other team, and they simply outclass us in every regard.

When our opponents are passing, you can actually see a pocket - a place for the QB to set up and throw the ball downfield. When we pass, it's just a jumbled mess of large bodies. There are no passing lanes. There's no pocket.

When our opponents run, you see schemes. The offensive line will move to the right together as a unit. Or they'll open up the middle so the running back can pound it inside. Our guys telegraph which direction the play's going. They open up a hole, but it's quickly filled up by a linebacker.

I don't mean to dog on the Texans this badly 'cause I root for them every game and want them to succeed, but at times it can really look like we're a minor-league team trying to compete in the majors. You can put the blame on the o-line if you want - and they DESERVE some criticism - but the coaching schemes are terrible and the personnel decisions haven't pointed us in the right direction.

9. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

damnit!! I cannot stand Dom Capers! :mad:

10. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

i think we need to pick up a WR in the second round of the draft.. especially if we can trade our pick for a 1st rounder and second rounder

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was thinking the same thing.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

AJ needs to get healthy 1st and foremost, but the problem is still the offensive line. The Texans have regressed back to the point of their 1st season, except now the defense is worse. Mathis is fast and time will tell if he can be the teams deep threat. Gaffney is good enough to be the teams 3rd receiver. Carr isn't the problem, but right he like the rest of the offenses confidence is just shattered. When Carr is making bad decisions behind an experienced, quality offensive line; then it will be time to show Carr the door.

At the end of the season it is time to clean house, show Capers and his staff the way out of town. Casserly too for that matter.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AJ seems to have given up on Carr, you can see it each and every time he is on the field...he gets open, but Carr doesn't see him.

AJ seems depressed when he is playing to me.

I wish I hadn't drafted him in my fantasy league, he sucks because of Carr.

DD

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that's overstating it a bit. AJ has barely played in half the season.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe, but when I watched him play, he looked despondent....never even got a look.....I think he is beyond frustrated...

I am not a Texan fan, all I did was watch AJ, and he just looks depressed.

DD

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm sorry, but from the amount of times they show AJ during a typical Texan game in which he plays, one cannot accurately tell who he is frustrated with or if he has given up on anyone.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

More likely he's frustrated that he's double teamed all the time and if he ever does get open Carr is already sacked. If you want to see a guy who really sucks look at Joey Harrington.

I also have AJ in my money league, sadly. I haven't dropped him yet though.

18. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I believe that the entire team has given up on Carr. They need to be led and he isn't a leader. Time will tell.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I guess you've never seen an interveiw with him, seeing as how you're not a Texan fan. He is VERY understated. Just because you're not dancing after every catch and cursing at opposing fans on the sideline doesn't mean you're "depressed."

It's called class and it's something that most of the big name receivers in today's NFL know nothing about. That's the way AJ has always been dating back to his time at Miami.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I've been to all the home games and I don't see any giving up on Carr. More likely they have given up on the coaching staff.