1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey addresses free agency...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Jul 14, 2014.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://m.sports790.com/articles/hou...6/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-talks-free-12561208/

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only thing that bothers me is his gullibility regarding Parsons. Cuban was going to stick it to him. DM and Les should have kept Parsons for 1M.

3. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

In hindsight, it was obviously the wrong move to let Parsons out of his contract, but I agree with the move. You can't fault him for going after Melo/LBJ/Bosh. I don't think a core of Harden/Howard/Parsons is good enough to win it all and if we were able to land any of the major free agents and match parsons, we could conceivably be championship favorites.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

^^^^^^ and lost all credibility with DH/JH in the meantime. Do you really think they didn't pick up the last year w/out Parson's knowing it? It was pay back for recruiting DH and for being underpaid the 3 years prior. Parson's would have been PISSED if they picked it up and DH would have been too. He wanted Parson's to get paid.....and now he has. At least that albatross contract isn't on our books. As much as everyone keeps saying that Morey's plan back fired, trust me, so did Cuban's. Why on earth would you sign CP to a $15M 3 year deal when you could have resigned Marion (or chased Ariza) for half that. It doesn't make sense. Good for you Daryl and FU Cuban.

The bottom line is that the only questionable move that Morey has made this off-season was pulling the trigger on the Lin deal because he thought he had Bosh locked up. It is what it is....he didn't go all in, so he's still at the table.

At the end of the day, he's not going to make a rash decision and hamstring the organization for 3-4 years on a guy he's not convinced gets us over the hump.....and I'm sorry to all of the 14 year old girls in Houston, but Chandler Parsons wasn't/isn't/is never going to be that guy (unless you could have signed Bosh).

I got an idea, how about everybody chill tf out and wait to see what happens? Two years ago we had Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik with nothing ELSE. I think we're in much better shape, with some cap space and need to trust that DM will figure it out. He has so far.....

#4 studogg, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. luhbron

luhbron Member

why do you keep spelling Lin with a 'y'

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I didn't realize the spelling police were on the board. Y did you waste your time correcting the way I spelled his name?

7. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Don't we have enough of these threads already?! WHEN IS THE MADNESS GONNA STOP?!

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Instead of having set up a pitch to Melo(presentation and all), would it have made a difference if they approached Bosh first??? It would be a good question to ask in the long run...Players like being wooed...And if the Rockets truly believed that adding Bosh to the Roster would have made us title contenders, why did we wait on Bosh. We were linked on the market to several players/agents. Just wondering if it wouldve made a difference.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I thought this was interesting from the Grantland Morey article:

Think about it. After years of trying, Morey did actually trade his way into a franchise superstar — Dwight Howard — but it turns out he landed the wrong one. Dwight might be the only superstar in the league with whom other stars — LeBron and Carmelo and Bosh, at least — have no interest in playing.

Houston also stole James Harden from OKC, and it was a brilliant move at the time. Everyone around the league was cursing Morey’s evil genius. Two years later, Harden’s a first-team All-NBA guard … and he’s neck-and-neck with Dwight for least-enjoyable teammate in the NBA, and probably the biggest reason everything fell apart for the Rockets in this year’s playoffs.

It’s not just luck, even. As much as everyone can be seen as an asset on Morey’s roster, the Rockets are your most convincing proof that personalities matter in basketball. If Bosh choosing four years with Dwyane Wade over Dwight and Harden doesn’t make that obvious enough, then just look over at the bench in Houston. Morey and the Rockets have made approximately 500 tweaks to the roster over the past few years, and somehow nobody in the front office has had the strength to make the one move that would absolutely make Houston better: firing the likable Kevin McHale and hiring a coach who can actually take them to the next level.

10. roksoer

roksoer Member

Cuban gave Chandler an offer Morey couldn't accept! Brilliant move.

11. munco

munco Member

Whether it's justified or not we seem to have a terrible rep with players and agents at this point. Treating players as assets and keeping McHale as our coach is not making things easy for us.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, too bad we forced Chandler Parsons to play for that fourth year at under a million dollars, as opposed to granting him free agency and letting him earn what the market says he's worth. Players see that and lose all respect for our organization.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Hmmmm so is this the Jeremy Lin all over again....

T_Man

14. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Morey was right to decline Chandler's option for a multitude of reasons and he was right not to match Dallas' offer sheet.

In the end, Dallas is stuck with a bloated, untradable contract with no chance to improve their roster in a meaningful way. There's a pretty good chance Dallas doesn't make the playoffs. On the other hand, Howard and Harden and Co. will probably be a top 4 seed again, and Morey has all kinds of flexibility to continue to pursue that 3rd star.

It sucks what happened, but in the end, the Rockets are going to be just fine without Chandler Parsons and his $15 million contract.

15. adobo

adobo Member

As much as I like CP...Mav's are paying too much. DM took a gamble, but then you have to be smart and cut your losses and not go all in knowing you have a weak hand.