1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Johnson: Time for the Lakers to trade Gasol or Bynum

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LongTimeFan, May 7, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

At the halftime show, Magic Johnson suggested the Lakers need to blow up their team by trading Bynum or Gasol. What do you guys think about this? The Lakers have won the NBA championship the last two years -- they get swept out of the second round one year after a championship and it's time to blow it up?

Knee-jerk reaction? Or necessary for them to remain contender relevant?

2. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

only if they get dwight would they blow it up.

3. k-money

k-money Member

You do realize they have not been eliminated yet, right?

4. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Barry said the Lakers should offer Orlando whoever they want (aside from Kobe) in exchange for Howard.

5. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I recall another two-time defending champion that was swept in the semi-final round and had a similar knee-jerk reaction to trade key pieces of their championship teams to have one last gasp as a contender. The year was 1996, IIRC...

1 person likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And they were justified too...

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Lakers need to get more athletic (and I don't mean add more bone-headed guys like Shannon Brown). If trading Bynum or Gasol helps them do that, so be it. Dwight Howard is obviously target #1. A legit starting PG is #2. It will require giving up a key player (or two).

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

I fully expect them to end up with a Paul, Howard, or Williams.
    -------
    http://lakersblog.latimes.com/laker...w-team-up-if-dallas-mavericks-sweep-them.html

[rquoter]Even with the odds stacked against them, the Lakers are publicly expressing optimism about coming back from an 0-3 deficit in their Western Conference semifinal series against the Dallas Mavericks.

But don't count Magic Johnsonas one of them. The Lakers great argued as an ESPN NBA analyst Saturday that the Lakers, and owner Jerry Buss, will need to make serious changes to their veteran-heavy roster during the off-season. Johnson's most pointed suggestion involved the Lakers' trading for Dwight Howard, even if it means giving up Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol or Lamar Odom.

"Dr. Buss has a lot of work to do," said Johnson. "He's probably going to have to blow this team up after the season if the Lakers lose this series because you have to come back with some fresh faces. You have to pick between the two big men with which one you keep and then you trade the other one."

Johnson didn't aim his criticism solely at the Lakers' front line, arguing that everybody outside of Kobe Bryant should be considered trade bait in what will be an uncertain off-season. In addition to the strong possibility Dallas will eliminate the Lakers, the 2010-11 season will be the last for Coach Phil Jackson. Reserves Matt Barnes and Shannon Brown can exercise player options to stay next season, with Barnes telling The Times' Mike Bresnahan in March he planned to do that and Brown conceding he's open to opting out. And of course, the cloud surrounding the league's expiring collective bargaining agreement on June 30 weighs heavily on all NBA teams.

Presuming the Lakers are eliminated, Johnson anticipates a very busy off-season.

"The Lakers have two problems," said Johnson, who sold his 4.5% ownership stake in the Lakers to billionaire season ticket-holder Patrick Soon-Shiong in October but has kept his title as vice president. "They're too slow and they have no athletes. This is an athletic league now. When you think about all the teams that are in the playoffs right now, they all can run fast and jump high.

"Sometimes you can be together too long," he continued. "This group has been probably together too long.[/rquoter]

9. LongTimeFan

I wonder if Scola/Lowry would entice them in a Bynum deal if they aren't able to land Dwight. I'm not sold I'd do that as I love Lowry.. but I'd think hard about it.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'm not sure about Bynum, it is Gasol I'd want.

Not sure if I'd want to give up Lowry, Scola/Martin, I'd be okay with since Lee can be a capable starter. Plus Lowry has shown flashes of what he can be. Not sure if it'd be a good idea to just give him up now.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Does anyone actually listen to Magic?
    Isn't that akin to listening to Emmitt Smith and his pearls of wisdom.

12. plates300

plates300 Member

not sure about blowing up the whole team but their bench needs some upgrading if they want to go anywhere. their bench flat out sucks.

13. what

what Member

Dwight would make a huge mistake going to the Lakers.

If dwight knew what was best for him he would force a trade to the pacers:

Something like Granger and Roy Hibbert for Howard.

Howard
    Hansbrough
    Paul George
    Brandon Rush
    Darren Collison

That would be a contending team in the east.

14. LongTimeFan

^Normally I respect your opinions, but.... what? That team sucks.. I hope you were joking. You're basically saying if Dwight was smart, he'd want to be traded to a sub .500 team who would need to trade it's two best players to get him.

1 person likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Lakers should have went after Lowry with the full MLE last off-season. I'm glad they didn't

16. what

what Member

I am a fan of the pacers. I think they have talent. I hate to let you down with a dumb opinion, lol.

Maybe I'm too big a fan of their team. But the lakers are old and unless they get more talent in a hurry dwight isn't going to help. I think Kobe is pretty much done. Maybe with dwight he might have one more run in him but I doubt it. The west is just too tough.

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

Actually he said "if" they lakers lose this series, then they should do this.

I still think they will be the first team in nba history to come back from 0-3.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is the best case scenario for the Pacers.

But Orlando is soooo going to ask for more, from the Pacers.

However, if the situation you listed is ideal, the Pacers also have the...what, 15th pick in the playoffs? Or at least something < 20th?

If they can get a back-up 5, the Pacers will be one of the deeper teams in the entire NBA next season.

19. what

what Member

That's what I believe too. The pacers are an ideal team for dhoward, because that team plays hard and together and they have an emerging star in Paul George, Hansbrough, if you think about it, is the perfect compliment to dhoward. A guy that can spread the court.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yes, but Orlando isn't just going to ask for Granger and Hibbert. I guarantee Hansbrough / George / picks will be in the discussion as well.