1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best backcourt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Colby, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Colby

Colby Member

I really think we have a great 3 guard rotation. Looking through the league, I can only find a few teams w/ better backcourts. When you add potential, I believe we have the best.

Here are a few,

Rose, Miller
    Cassell, Allen
    Kidd, Penny

I think our core is better than the rest.

Any thoughts?

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

2. MManal

MManal Member

If our guards continue to develop and reach the level that we think they could (Francis becoming the premier PG in basketball, Cuttino becoming the premier 6th man and Shandon developing his offensive game further), then I could see this team as having the best backcourt in the NBA down the line. The talent is definitely there to achieve this, but they need to continue to develop their games.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

The team that may just have the best backcourt is Miami.....Jones and Hardaway.

Other good guard tandems:

NJ - Marbury, Gill
    LA - Kobe, Harper
    MN - Brandon, Billups
    VC - Bibby, Dickerson (I know this may be a sore spot, but these guys were the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, not to mention Bibby's 8.1 apg.)
    Port. - Steve Smith and Stoudamire
    Seattle - Payton and Barry

I am not saying our tandem of Francis and Anderson, along with Mobley is worse than any of the above. I just like those guard tandems and think they are among the league's best backcourts. I think we are in the top 5 or 6 in terms of guard talent.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited August 30, 2000).]

4. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Hoop T Doo Loop

Pretty good line up but figure this in:

* Hardaway is not a solid for Miami this year.

* Mighty Mouse is talking trade trash.

* Gary Mighty Mouth will be disgruntled. No one talked to him before the Vin Baker for Patrick Ewing trade. Then after he opened his mouth about welcoming the veteran (Ewing) who he "would love to play beside" because "he has it all", they didn't tell him the deal never went through, and he had face Vinnie and now plays a full season with a disgruntled frontman.

* Gill has got to stay healthy this year. That hasn't been easy for him lately.

* Brandon has been on the trade block all summer, and is still there.

* Harper is capable, but is still getting a little slow every game. Think he'll like playing beside JR?

* Kobe is dynamite two-way player, but probably should be playing more SF, but irregardless he will be distracted with JR's presence this year. Guaranteed. Both he and Shaq will be the key to JR's play. Personally I think the three of them will cancel out any supposed or real advantage they may have against the West this year. I don't see the Lakers as going number one even.

* Barry is one dimensional. Period.

* Bibby and Dickerson scored so much last year because they only had one other player consistently scoring on the team (S. A-R).

What is the downside of Francis/Mooch at the one guard and Shandon/Mobes at the SG?

It's all up!!!!!!!!

No disgruntled, whining, underacheiving, "Generation ME" clone in our Rockets bunch. And a whole lotta guys to pass to ......

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Stoudamire and Smith isn't a bad backcourt. And Kidd, Hardaway might be the only guard tandems better than Francis, Shandon.

Stockton, Starks are old, but Stocky can still play.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

6. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

ummm, francis ok. but pick eitha shandon or cuttino cuz moochie is a given

------------------
    Lookin at a 75 year old man in a thong: NASTY
    Lookin at Shaq hit free throws: "O SH**!"

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pop...I mean Oeilpere, I am just wondering, why do you think Barry is one-dimensional? I know he is not the greatest scorer in the world, but he collects good stats across the board...rebs, assists, steals, blocks, and he can dunk and shoot the three. I don't think he is great, but I wouldn't say he is one-dimensional.

------------------

8. rock

rock Member

Indiana, New Jersey, and Milwaukee have excellent backcourts in the East.

Houston, Phoenix, Portland, and Seattle (b/c Payton is THAT good) come out of the West.

Last season we beat all of the teams I listed in the Western Conference. Francis can match up against Kidd quite well. Payton was a better match up simply because of his tenacity. Recall our first game against Seattle last season when Payton gave Francis a lesson. Portland is OK, but Stoudamire is overrated.

Indiana is going to be a TOUGH matchup for us (as always). I'm glad we only face them twice a season. New Jersey and Milwaukee are going to be problems too.

------------------

9. Sane

Sane Member

Desmond Mason should be coming into the picture to play alongside the Glove......

But other than Phoenix, I still mainain we're the best......

------------------

10. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Steve has been working out lately. He has a better chances of matching up with the bigger guards like Cassell, Payton, etc.
    Therefore I won't be surprised if Steve steps up gear or two.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

11. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

We might not have the best starting back-court in the league, at least not yet. But are there any teams with a better three-guard rotation than ours?

Portland's Stoudamire-Smith-Wells lineup isn't bad. Miami's Hardaway(if he stays)-Jones-Majerle is decent as well. And if Mike Miller plays mainly at SG, as I'm sure he will, then Armstrong-McGrady-Miller may make some noise too.
    But apart from that, no three-man backcourt that really matches that well with the Rockets' comes to my mind.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

12. rock

rock Member

Rocket JJANG, I certainly hope so. Cassell and Payton really stuck it to him last season. That's because the veterans wanted to show the rookie of the year that the NBA is different from the NCAA.

Now that Francis is in his second year, and bulking up, maybe he will use the lessons he learned from last year to improve his performance against the elite point guards of the league.

------------------