1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uber

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

Anyone in here ever use the service? its like a taxi cab service but it's different in that its not really a cab, more like private citizens offering rides to strangers. Apparently you use your smartphone to locate a driver and the service is now available in Houston. Seems like a part-time gig for someone who wants to make extra money also

https://www.uber.com/

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yea but I like lyft more. They are winners.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A coworker of mine used it while in Austin a month or so back. Said they used it to go everywhere all weekend long and that it was easy to use and much cheaper than a taxi. Even mentioned that one driver picked them up in a new Lexus or Audi.... Something like that anyway.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I lot of people at school use it and like it. I rode one once and it was a good ezperience. Free water bottle, friendly driver who knew the city well spoke English fluently (a rarity where I'm from), and it was a lot cheaper than a cab.

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

use my code for free rides! it is: uberbaumer1

I think it gives you $30 credit for your first ride. I claimed mine off someone else on here and used it in San Antonio. It is a cool service

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Used it in Chicago and learned that a Prius can go pretty fast and brake hard from light to light. Really liked the service though, much better, quicker to arrive and cheaper than a cab. Having an account online/automatic tip and no payment in car is pretty sweet too. Will be using it in Houston for the first time this Saturday.

7. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Uber is amazing. I use it every weekend I go out.

The prices are so much better than cabs. Just beware of the surge fees in Midtown from 1am-3am

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

pretty sweet, my ride showed up in 15 minutes each time i used it. $20 for a 30 minute trip is pretty good, however i know someone who used it twice in one night and got charged $50 a trip.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Thanks man!

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I wouldn't use them just because of the unscrupulous business tactics they use.

11. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I use it every time I'm in a city that has it. It is so much cheaper than a cab.

12. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is also an extremely easy and flexible way to make some extra cash on the weekends.

I drive occasionally in San Diego, and it is a pretty entertaining experience.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I been interested in how this works .. . . .
    It allows people to act like a taxi . . .without getting those Taxi Licenses etc?

Rocket River

15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. They get around the legal issues by calling it ridesharing. It is still vehemently opposed by the taxi industry, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_ridesharing

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Long time Uber user here. Absolutely love it. Here's my promo code for $30 off your first ride: kk5sf

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

it's important to note that they are not insured like regular taxis. this is part of the reason why they are able to charge lower prices.

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Is it a flat fee for more than one person. Say I have five homies with me and want to go to the club, am I charged for five people or just one person.

Also are there a lot of drivers in the area? Like more with Lyft or Uber?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have used them so far in Berlin, Munich, London, New York, San Francisco (Mountain View, Menlo Park, Palo Alto), Dubai...and so on.

So yeah, I like their service.

I do think they are slightly overvalued, though.

20. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

First time I heard of this service. Sounds like a great idea on face value.

But is it safe to take a ride by a random person on the internet especially if you were a woman?