1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FLASHBACK] Quite a jam: Rockets top Mavs again, lead series, 2-0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TISNF, Apr 24, 2014.

1. TISNF

TISNF Member

That was the headline from the April 26, 2005, right after the Rockets took a 2-0 lead in a 4-5 matchup. We all know what happened next: Dallas wins the next two in Houston and eventually clinches the series.

Michael Finley is still blatantly out of bounds!

For nothing more than fascination (or "hope" if you're an optimist...I'm not an optimist), take a look at the comments in the Mavs forum from that night.

Sound familiar?:

For fun:

I would've used the Rockets-Suns series example in '94 and '95, but yeah...no message boards way back when.

This is my therapy.:(

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

Sounds good...except Mavs were a terrific road team if I remember, and we are not.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cool story bro. I'll believe the Rockets have a chance when their star player doesn't look incompetent and their coach at least thinks about giving Aldridge a different look. The rest of the team not bricking away from 3 would be nice too.

4. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I like the optimism, and there are actually a few similarities between that 05 series and this one.

LMA is playing like T-Mac did the first 2 games. He's playing like Jordan with longer arms.

But the big difference is, that Dallas team was by far more talented and athletic than the 05 Rockets team. As the series went on we couldn't guard any of their perimeter players.

In this series the talent and athleticism is a wash. We have Harden, Howard, and Parsons, but they have Lillard, LMA, and Batum....even Wes Matthews is making an appearance.

The big thing is they have guys like Robin Lopez and Matthews stepping up but our role players (and one of our superstars) are nowhere to be found.

5. TISNF

TISNF Member

Is every thread a game thread? Just highlighting nearly identical thoughts from a decade ago in the same situation.

6. TISNF

TISNF Member

Yeah Harden not showing up is hurting, but more interesting is the lack of a true inside-outside game that Dwight spoke of before this game. The Rockets never had an inside-outside game all year -- just success with the pick 'n roll.

And they're experimenting too much with an inside-only game. Or really inside / outside game. No ball movement for a true inside-outside game. I'm amazed this is only now being "attempted" in the playoffs.

But yeah as mentioned above, Dallas was indeed a great road team back in '05. Trying to beat the Blazers in Portland is going to be about as monumental as trying to beat the Jazz in Salt Lake (when they were good).

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'd feel better if we had Avery Johnson as coach instead of McFail.. That dude thoroughly out coached and out-adjusted Van Gundy, and that is why the Mavs came back and won.

8. TISNF

TISNF Member

Well the Rockets need a third point guard as well so maybe he can suit up for game 3.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are we gonna get refballed into the next round, because that'd be cool

10. JazzLakerHater

Going to play Portland on the road is MUCH bigger animal than going to play in Houston. That Portland crowd is going to be pumped.