1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by UtilityPlayer, Mar 18, 2014.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Gomez is an idiot because:

1) He should have ran out of the box, and potentially had an inside the park home run.

2) He should have laughed Cole off.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agreed.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Agree with your points but he and Cole were both idiots.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So this happened in the Arlington/Oakland game:

[​IMG]

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But only one was a big enough idiot to remove himself from the lineup for that day and however many games he's suspended.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Brewers' Martin Maldonado has received a five-game suspension for his role in Sunday's MILW-PIT fight.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/statuses/458655140694982657">April 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Maldonado was also fined $2,500 for his actions in the brawl.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/statuses/458655903689216001">April 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Suspensions: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Brewers&amp;src=hash">#Brewers</a>’ Maldonado gets 5 games, Gomez 3, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pirates&amp;src=hash">#Pirates</a>’ Snider 2 games, Martin 1. Can appeal or effective tonight. Fined as well.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/458681568144678912">April 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

8. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Albert Pujols joined the 500 HR club tonight vs the Nationals.

9. Buck Turgidson

Was the runner safe at 2b?

10. rudan

rudan Member

Congrats, this homer hurt me the most.............

[​IMG]

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Something happening in Boston! Pineda has just been throw out due to having a substance on his neck.

13. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Was watching this on tv. He had it so obviously on his NECK, in plain sight. At least hide it in your glove or under your cap :rolleyes:

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Just dirt"

BWAHAHAHA

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Yep. The umpire wiped it from his neck and mouthed "That's pine tar". What surprised me most is how much the announcers seem to support him using it. Is it that common in baseball?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was legal to use "substances" up till a certain point... so it certainly has been an established part of the game.

It just baffles me that players would still try to get away with it in this day/age of every game on TV in High-def, and the ability of everybody to hear about it at a moments notice.

Remember Julian Taveras and the noticeable "dark" spot on his hat (this was around the advent of wide-spread HD TV)... he probably gets away with it if its the 80's or 90's.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<strike>Dirt</strike>Pinetar-baller suspended 10 games

18. Major

Major Member

It seems so, based on the comments from Red Sox in this article:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...l-pineda-new-york-yankees-banned-10-games-mlb

"I think there are some things, this being one of them, inside the game that pitchers, particularly in climates like last night, you're looking for some sort of grip," Farrell said. "I think there are probably ways you can be a little more discreet."

Red Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski understood why Pineda used the pine tar.

"I don't have a problem with guys that do it," he said. "I know as a hitter, I want to get in there and know the guy has a grip.

"Put it on your hat, put it on your pants, your belt, put it on your glove, whatever you have to do. You just can't do it that blatantly. That was what the biggest issue was. No one has an issue with him doing it. It's just more of the fact that it's so blatant."

19. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

How many games into a Team's schedule do y'all start really paying attention to your team?

I honestly care around late July/ early August and see whether to make that playoff push or whatever the team decides better for the ball club.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Stuff like this annoys me. If everyone does it and no one has a problem with it (and actully prefer they do it), why does he have to hide it? Just tell him to wipe it off and continue with the game. It's a complete joke that he was ejected.