1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uh oh... Dirk now 11th all time

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htwnbandit, Apr 5, 2014.

1. dude1394

dude1394 Member

Someone is going to be running to their momma.. :)

2. Mr Chuck Norris

Yeah your username fits you

3. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

I am guessing you dont know what the term bandwagon means if you think anything he said has anything to do with being a bandwagon fan. Then you follow it up by emphasizing the word physicality. Try again.

4. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

No I am not someone who follows ESPN bullcrap blindly. Your arguments to prove why Wade was the better player are just stupid though. Of course it was a team effort to win the championship. That is seriously your defining argument to prove that Wade was the better player in that series? I feel like you have forgot what you were fighting for in the first place and got off on an entirely different topic.

My point about Dallas throwing everything they had at Lebron and stopping him was to point out that Wade was going to get his because there main focus was DONT LET LEBRON BEAT US! They were pretty confident that Wade was not capable of beating them by himself offensively.

Lebron did not step up. The king could not figure out the different defensive looks he was having thrown at him. This was the mastermind that is Carlisle. So yes it was a team effort just like when the Heat beat the Mavs in '06.....that was a team effort. ALL CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE TEAM EFFORTS!

Miami's entire gameplan was to STOP DIRK, DON'T LET DIRK BEAT US!. Guess what....they could not stop him. They made it difficult on him and even made him have some tough games.....but when it was all on the line he was basically unstoppable. Wade on the other hand was scoring a lot of points but when they had to have those buckets to close out the games he could not get them. Also by the way....the 4th quarter is when superstars step up. When Wade won his title against the Mavs in '06 it was because he stepped up in the 4th quarters of those games and Dirk did not. Wade was the better player in that series even if the refs were calling fouls for even looking at him.

So your next point to discredit me was that I used the term "all the big shots"? So I guess you took that a little too literally. No he did not hit 100% of all the big shots, but I guess that depends on what you classify as a big shot. What I classify as a big shot is a game deciding shot that puts your team ahead or ties the game with 30 seconds to go in the game. So yes he hit about 95% of all those in that series for the Mavs.

So to summarize, could Dirk have won the series without Carlisle, Terry, Kid, Tyson, Haywood, Barea, Stevenson and the rest of the team? NO!!!!! Was Dirk the best player in the series? Did Dirk decide 3 of the 4 wins by hitting huge shots to close out the game? YES!

I will leave you with a quote from Abraham Lincoln:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

5. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Don't get the hate, Dirk is a Great player and I would Not even mind if he would become the Nr.1 scorer.

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

My point is perfectly clear. Miami had the best player in the Finals in Wade. But they didn't have the best team, and that's why they lost. But while Dirk had a Finals that was almost but not quite as good Wade's, the narrative has been "Dirk willed the Mavs to victory", which makes little sense because Dirk<Wade. As I've touched, I care very little about "clutch shots" or "big shots", I value consistent, good production for all 48 minutes. So, sure Dirk played well in the last minutes of Game 6, but that doesn't make up for him playing like utter dogcrap in the first half.

The "Dallas defense was focused on stopping Lebron and was willing to let Wade run amok" is the first good argument you've made....except rewatching the videos of the 2011 NBA Finals, I'm not seeing that Miami's defense actually WAS "Stop Nowitzki at all costs." Oh, they certainly paid a great deal of attention to him, he's a star and all that. But where's the aggressive double team on Dirk when he hit that Game 2 winner? Or here in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmYrrSCQeX8

Fact is, Dallas had great 3 point shooters, guys who the Heat defense couldn't just dare to leave wide open. This gave Dirk room to operate. And while say, Miami focused on Lebron, I don't think you get just how ridiculous Wade's numbers in the 2011 Finals really are. What if I told you that Wade's PER for the series was higher than 4 of Jordan's Finals? Obviously, Wade isn't better than Jordan. But it's just one stat among other which shows how much Wade produced, especially in comparison to Dirk. And production is the important thing, not clutch wishy washy narratives or 4th quarter scoring.