1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Storm Surge, Mar 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

that man deserves his props

Chuck is the ultimate hustler(in a good way).

2. AstroMech

AstroMech Member

I have been very very impressed with his play the past few games especially.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

He's my favorite role-player on the team. (Yes even over Battier)

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where are all those people from last season who said he was just a scrub and not capable of playing well as a starter?

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

That would be me... Before this season, I kept projecting Juwan Howard as the starter and saying "No way JVG would start Chuck, a 2nd year undersized rookie". Or I would say "Which PF should we get with our MLE or through trade? We need one badly". Sorry Chuck Hayes...

6. SuperYanthrax

SuperYanthrax Member

I'm pleased with his development. He's even learned a bit of an inside game, the last few game he's hit some nice hook shots in the lane.

7. anitasri

anitasri Member

Chuck and Yao complement each other- it is like those tiny fish that feed off of the huge whale. And Chuck plays his heart out- when he is on the floor.
    So does Snyder. But that is a whole another topic!

8. kikimama

kikimama Member

OOoohh I love me some Chuck Hayes!

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Chuckster has shown why he starts on one of the top basketball teams in the world :)

10. Omer

Omer Member

I love how his free throws like all go in now. Shows that he's been practicing, that's good.

11. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Was Chuck guarding Bosh(7-19 FG and 16 pts)?

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's played well the last few games, but has had some horrible stretches during the season. If he takes it to another level next year by reducing the stupid fouls and finishing better around the basket, he will remain a good compliment to Yao and Tracy.

Doubling his vertical from 2 inches to 4 would also help. ;)

13. durvasa

He hasn't had any horrible stretches. I disagree. His fouls come because he's aggressive, he's undersized, and he's an unknown. There have been games (when Yao has been out) where he's just been physically outmatched trying to play center. It's unfair to pin the blame on him for that.

Chuck has consistently been one of our best team defenders all year. And though limited, he's an efficient offensive player which is more than you can say about a lot of the unskilled bigs in this league.

14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Hell yeah. Last 5 games he is averaging 12 pts, 8 rebs, and 67% shooting.

15. Ifartedpoop

Ifartedpoop Member

The Chuckwagon coming through like a gangsta with no clue???

16. durvasa

12 and 8 in, what, 27 mpg? That's awesome production from your role player. And that doesn't even cover the tremendous team defense he's provided.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We agree to disagree then. There were some games where Chuck must have left his head in the lockerroom, but right now it's hard to remember. That's fine.

When he's outmatched, I understand the fouls will come. But he still fouls too much when players aren't in scoring position or when he cannot affect the outcome of a shot. Granted, that hasn't been the case recently.

His performance on offense recently is exactly what he needs to do, which is kill the doubleteam on Tracy by cutting to the basket. At the same time, he stays out of Yao's way on the block.

Let's hope this continues for the rest of the season.

18. conquistador#11

I'm so impressed with his work effort.He makes rebounding look so easy.
    Chuck hayes for most improved player of the year!! :)

19. blender

blender Member

I'm not one of the people who said this, but I'm still not completely sold on hayes either. Don't get me wrong, I love his hustle and energy and how he complements Yao. But his poor shooting and lack of size is still a problem, esp. when he's not playing alongside Yao.

That said, within our lineup, playing him as a starter (and Howard/Mutombo as the second-unit frontcourt) makes a lot of sense, and it looks like it's paying off right now. I just don't see him as a long-term solution for our 4 spot, no matter how much I love his hustle.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

dude has overachieved given his limitations, give the man his props...

whats that win/loss stat when Yao, tracy and Hayes all start together? it was 17-7 or something like that...