1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please do not crucify Morey, yet.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

There seems to be alot of negativity on the boards with regards to Daryl Morey, and there seems to be the opinion that he should be fired if he is unable to dramatically alter the roster this offseason.

Free Agency is just underway, and luck has not delt him a kind hand, things could be drastically different if Robinson went second and Sacramento traded their pick, althought the argument could be made that Robinson was never a lock to go 2nd. Nevertheless I believe he tried ardently to get into the top 10, talks with multiple teams broke down. He turned Budinger into first round pick, and moved up using the widely inconsistent Dalembert to poach Lamb from Phoenix who were reported to take him.

I like the offer to Asik. People are critical of offering 24 million to Asik for his lowly career averages, however Marcin Gortat held similar averages in Orlando and has turned into a 15/10/1.5 player with extended playing time. Asik while shockingly challenged on the offensive end, can anchor a defense, with his ability to defend the PnR playing a big part in Thibodeaus defensive schemes. Whilst Morey certainly low-balled Gortat, he would not make the same mistake here. Such a 'poison-pill' type contract actually gives Houston a good shot of obtaining Asik. Hollinger, put it quite clearly, for chicago's financially limited front office, even with an amnesty of Boozer, Asik would essentially cost them a starting powerfoward in Boozer, 15m for his buyout, and 15m for Asiks' contract. Even with a match of the offer, I still feel Houston could obtain Noah.

The situation with Dragic is not surprising. The nets seemed willing to offer 9 million if Williams fell through, and with other potential suitors seemingly willing to offer such money, the chances of him returning to houston are unlikely. Morey seems unwilling to budge on his offer, and frankly I do not think Dragic is worth the 10m he is asking. His decision making down the stretch in many games last year was poor, and critics of the 'small sample space' with Lin cannot ignore the same reasoning with Dragic. Lowry in my opinion must be traded. People can argue it was said in the heat of the moment, however he was openly insubordinate, and cannot co-exist with McHale. Fate seems to have delt Lowry the same hand to that of Aaron Brooks, and situations can change very fast. Whilst I would rather Dragic over Lin, I would find it difficult for the Knicks to match a back-loaded contract similar to that of Asiks'. a 3yr-24m (5,5,14) offer would allocate almost 130 million with the new penalties to 4 players (Lin, Stoudemire, Melo, Chandler). Such a payroll is unthinkable, with Stats guarenteed contract untradeable, it looks as though the Knicks may relinquish Lin and make a run at Kidd or Nash (unlikely). Lin to some represents a novelty and many are way too willing to dismiss him as an overpaid, overhyped, cashcow. Whilst it would be impossible to objectively state that such ulterior motives aren't at play, Lin's rise came about because he helped the Knicks, win. With a team with no ego's he went on a stretch not seen in a long time, and I am doubtful that his vision and tactical nous would dissppear, but could flourish if given appropriate PT and tutelage. Essentially a rookie, such production would have been lauded from a top-10 pick, and I have no doubt that Lin could develop further.

There also appears to be some confusion regarding how such 'poison-pill' type contracts affect the payroll. Asiks' offer for example would run 8.3,8.3,8.3 against the Rockets Salary cap as the team making the offer to RFA take the average of the deal. Chicago, however. would log 5(yr1), 5(yr2), and then the whopping 15m in year 3, hence the problematic cap situation.

All in all, it is very early in free agency, and I've no doubt Morey is working overtime to try and add pieces, but some individuals are seriously underestimating the difficulting in simply "trading the kitchen sink" for a Dwight Howard rental or moving into the top 10 with an openly disgruntled PG, Martin, Scola, etc as trade-bait. Morey has never had the benefit of having multiple top 5 draft picks as Presti, and as JVG has always stated, such an approach the Rockets take should be applauded, not scoffed at.

13 people like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lesley Alexander is that you?

3. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Another damage control thread? Rockets PR team working extra hard today huh

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

hmmmmm. another long one from 'extremely' new posters.

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

It is 2am...I click link and see WALL OF TEXT!!!

6. Margrave

Margrave Member

He has one last chance.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

What I don't understand is that fans are blaming Morey for acts or omissions that is totally out of his control. How the heck could he have convinced the Bobcats to pick Robinson or whomever? Can't blame him that Stern vetoed a possible franchise-changing trade. Its true that we have yet to taste the fruits of Morey's work but atleast we know that he is very aggressive and cautious at the same time. He's making smart deals and owns up to his mistakes (and corrects them pretty quickly.)

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

LOL DIDN'T READ

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I'm still wanna know how the op has 2 post and got a green block already

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

LOL WHY'D YOU RESPOND??

11. conquistador#11

I think it's hilarious to get on maury when..
    A. d-bags want to do each other in their little markets they have deemed hot beds. You can't put a gun to lady howard and make her want to play here. I wish you could, but you can't. she might accuse you of black mailing and kidnapping.

B. The owner didn't want to rebuild the traditional way when YAO and MCGRADY suffered career ending injuries. Yes those 20 ppg players were once property of Houston.

I'll wait until the free agency period ends to throw a stone at maury's big face.

12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Well said Young Panda...

Anything mentioning tutelage, should be repped... ;)

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Stop with the clarity and facts already! good job.

14. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I think you mean an excellent post from a newbie.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I am repping the OP. Personally, tired of all the negativity.

16. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

i like morey sunshine pumpers ONLY compare the asik deal to Gortat.. haha.. amnesia sets in about Kelvin Cato or Stromile Swift.. 2 other guys that were rewarded based on "assumptions" that there production would increase IF they played 36 minutes..

Also, i WISH now that stern hadn't saved morey from that terrible trade for Gasol.. Gasol would have pulled a Odom on us and played at about 50% while pouting, NeNe was hurt the last part of the year and would have been a waste, Dragic was have been dealt and Lowry got hurt so our Starting PG would have been Boykins… Stern saved our ass more than anything..

anyways, it doesn't matter what Maury does, you guys will blame someone else when u realize next summer that Moreyball DOES NOT WORK.. i mean i guess it does if you think acquiring "assets" in every trade, and trading role players for role players with similar contracts is doing good.. oh, and locking down that 9th seed 3 straight years..

17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Good post, Panda. Repped.

18. junk151

junk151 Member

In Panda we trust!!!

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Haha, silly rook trying to convince Clutchfans to be rational and patient. You should know better.

20. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Oh I get it. Thread says "Should Morey be fired" you guys thrash it and call for the member to be banned. Another thread says "Please be easy on Morey, please..." and you say excellent idea. The contradiction is so evident:(