1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Rule V Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tetio, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I looked at list previously and no one stuck out as a significant prospect missed. We can always do deals like the Conger deal to remove some guys from the list after the season.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I understand that the Astros can always make some off-season trades before the Rule 5 Draft, but they've got a LOT of (at least "pretty good") prospects that will be out there for the picking come December.

After the DeShields fiasco (IMO Luhnow's biggest error in judgment in his tenure as Astros GM), I'd like to avoid anything remotely resembling that this year.

Also, the Astros have guys who still have some prospect status who are stuck in AAA without a great chance to crack the MLB team (Woj? Rodgers?) who could possibly be moved now to teams looking to fill out the back end of their rotations with young guys who still have a little promise.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The Deshields stuff is just so weird. The guy hit .236 at AA last year. We all knew he was fast, but there was absolutely no indication that he could hit consistently anywhere, let alone at the major league level. And that doesn't even get into the attitude issues that have plagued him.

I think Luhnow bet that even if a team snatched him up, there's no way he would last on a MLB roster. I'd definitely agree that it was a bad call on his part to let him go, but there was really no reason to think he was ready to perform at this level.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I agree with this completely. And also you have the JD Martinez situation, where he wasn't lost in Rule V, but was released in part so that other young guys could get a chance. Paredes also similar situation. Bottom line is, we have more prospect types than we can keep. Luhnow will do something with them for sure, will be interesting to see how he handles it though

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Different organizations have the ability to get some guys on the right track. Texas obviously has done it with DDJ. Tigers have done it with JD Martinez. Baltimore with Paredes.

We have done it with McHugh, Harris

More than any sport, in baseball it's really tough to figure out what a young guy will become

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm still not sold that Texas has done it with DDJ. He has been getting twice the production on grounders than the average speedster (non-scientifically determined by randomly selecting guys known for speed and checking their RC+ on grounders). Not sure if that is sustainable.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

DDJ had a great BB-rate, and a reasonable K-rate. I figured he'd struggle enough that he would get sent back, but I don't think this is completely out of left field.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

especially with pitchers from Colorado, Luthnow has been good there
    Another one is Franklin Morales, not a rule V but pitching very good with KC

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have some fat on their 40 man that they can cut.

I would have protected DeShields and was a little surprised that he wasn't protected. Still, what exactly IS DeShields? He is about to be 23 years old, he no longer plays a premium position and is a below average fielder. He doesn't hit for a lot of power and is not exactly a harder worker. Honestly I don't think he would be getting many at bats in Houston.

10. Nook

Nook Member

DeShields was extremely lazy with a poor attitude. The coaches in the system did not like working with him. It was never an issue of ability..... I don't think it is coincidence that he has hit better being in the big leagues.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

My disappointment is not necessarily because I thought DeShields would be a major contributor for the Astros. I just thought they could at least trade him for something of value down the road if he didn't work out here.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/15750...cisions-impact-rule-5-draft?topicid=151437456

http://whattheheckbobby.blogspot.com/2015/11/an-updated-2015-astros-rule-5-draft.html

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's not half bad. I see one definite protect (Musgrove), two likely (Devenski and Paulino) and then a bunch of maybes (Aplin, Gustave, Hernandez, Vasquez).

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It will be interesting if they move players like Grossman, Hoes and Chapman before tomorrow.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

40-Man roster

37 men on, with 2 more (Scott Feldman and Brad Peacock) on the 60 day DL.

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Now down to 34 after the release of Grossman and Luis Cruz and the trade of Villar

17. juicystream

Definite:
    Joe Musgrove

Very Likely:
    Andrew Aplin
    Nolan Fontana
    Jandel Gustave

Strong Consideration:
    David Paulino
    Tyler Heineman
    Chris Devenski
    Joe Sclafani
    Tommy Shirley
    Kyle Smith (I know he's recovering from TJS, but allows a team to stash him long)
    Aaron West

Bolded my choices. Sclafani probably won't be given strong consideration, but I would. Like Fontana, plays everywhere, and has strong OBP.

18. juicystream

Vazquez has been awful. I don't consider him a prospect worth protecting at all. Hernandez would have a very hard time sticking.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like your list. Heineman may be considered strongly depending on how is defense is.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Definite:
    Joe Musgrove
    Chris Devenski

Very Likely:
    David Paulino