1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

2. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Your point sounds diplomatic, but how exactly are the coaches at fault?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Did you read that somewhere?

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Funny how we killed Tmac for missing game/practices and failing to communicate with the team. We did this to a guy who was not potential but a proven superstar in this league. How so many people are giving a pass to a guy who is pure potential (with a vastly overrated upside IMO) is beyond me.

I get that he has a mental disorder but that doesn't excuse how he is handling things.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I just find it hard to believe that Rockets are making all this up. No excuse to miss practice or a home game. Right? I dnt think they could fine him if this was all baseless.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Royce White skips training camp, whines over playing time, attacks the organization on the internet, refuses to see his therapist assigned to him by the team per the CBA, refuses to practice and doesn't show up to a game and you are with him 100%.

Surprise surprise. The only way this would have been funnier is if you somehow managed to attack America and defend Muslims killing cartoonists again in the post.

2 people like this.
  7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Just called out Morey specifically...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="http://t.co/HUNfSh08" title="http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/11/lack-of-playing-time-one-of-issues-in-royce-white-conflict-with-rockets/">blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket…</a> Funny how there is SO much ppl seen to know, but the head honcho won't speak. Low Validity, I think is a understatement</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268752488537137152" data-datetime="2012-11-14T16:29:21+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. instar

instar Member

seriously? all of this crap is about playing time? you gotta be kidding me.

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

What seems to be lost on Royce is the Rockets have every motivation to WANT to help him. They wouldn't have drafted him if they didn't think he had the talent to succeed. They wouldn't keep him on the roster if they didn't think his issues were something they could work thru.

It seems to me that Royce missing games/practices/training camp in his mind was a protest and/or side effect of his mental disorder and he thinks those events should be completely dismissed as if he had been there. Since they aren't treating him the same as if he had attended every practice and training camp, he thinks the Rockets are holding his mental health issues against him. Of course that is a very self centered outlook as it disregards how much work the people who did attend those events put in.

1 person likes this.
  10. Super Lintendo

Have to give him a pass on that one. Belinelli turned down the request to play in the D-League. Teams can only request it because it's essentially overtime without any compensation.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Goodbye, Royce. Holy crap this guy needs to shut up. Does he not have an agent?

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

A mid first round pick has no business demanding playing time or "opportunity" to earn time. But somehow because he has a disorder, White thinks he deserves special treatment. Not equal treatment, or accomodation for his medical issues, but special privelages not available to other players.

13. Arthurprescott2

Wow... why does he keep digging a deeper grave? He's just killing any kind of future in this league.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

He's just asking to be let go now, it's too obvious. If I did this I would be axed from my job. Freaking wackjob.

15. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

For people with mental health disorders, what Royce White is doing---the midnight tweets, the semi-bratty (frankly, rather unprofessional) comments---is all normal. He doesn't see what we see. When someone with his sort of condition gets wound up, he lashes out. He'll think it's a call for help. Others will call it a narcisstic grab for attention.

None of us really know where disorder ends and "whew, now I can play it safe and not really try" begins.

It probably didn't help when we acquired Harden. The plan went from playing and developing rookies (albeit in order to trade them when the time came; I mean, Morey is Morey, after all) to playing Harden 44 minutes a game and making the playoffs (and maybe falling short and getting pick #14 again).

All of a sudden we were like, "Why aren't the rooks playing at all? And where is Royce?"

But it's the NBA. The team can accommodate but there's a point where it becomes coddling, because it's a man's league and he has to sack up, illness or not, and decide whether or not he can handle the NBA life and will put in the effort for it.

I was all for taking a flyer on Royce White but I should have guessed that his disorder was worse than I first thought. For a person with this sort of illness (and I had an ex-girlfriend with a similar disorder), it becomes all about "me, why won't anyone help me" (an understandable notion; it must be horrible to live with). For the people around them, it goes from, "Hey, I'm here for you" to, "Hey, I'm trying to help you" to "Hey, I'm outta here."

I do hope this works out somehow, but the bottom line is, We wasted a pick on Royce White.

EDIT: Just saw his latest tweet. As I said, to him, this is normal. DAMN, did we screw up drafting this guy.

1 person likes this.
  17. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

This guy is bringing all CF's together to hate on him. We have all banded together and agreed on one thing. WE hate ROYCE.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, that's it for me! I've had it!

I've tried to work with Clutch about my QID (Questionable Information Disability) in the past, but now he's calling me out in public and threatening to send me to the Viper's forum.

:grin:

3 people like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member