1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerome Solomon's new blog

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRed, May 5, 2009.

1. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Ok allow me to go on a rant here about Solomon from Chronicle and forgive me for it lol. Here you go, so either this guy is really arrogant or he is definitely delusional. His latest blog post:

Rockets beat Lakers, why the surprise?
    Last Saturday, somebody asked Yao Ming what it was like to be a big underdog in the series. Yao gave them a weird look.

We found out after Game 1 that Yao did not know the meaning of the word. That's a good thing. Why is everyone so shocked by the result of Rockets-Lakers Game 1? Were you not paying attention? And I don't mean to me, though I told everyone the other day I was leaning toward taking the Rockets in an upset in the series.

We heard so much talk about the 4-0 Lakers sweep during the regular season, but not enough talk about how those games were won. The Rockets were in each one before falling apart in the fourth quarter. We hear so much about fourth-quarter collapses - partly because the Rockets talk about them so much - that I believe we have it twisted. Perhaps the Rockets throw away more games in the fourth quarter than any other good team, but it's the NBA. Almost every game comes down to the fourth quarter.

Almost every win or loss will be determined by how you play in the fourth quarter. The Rockets have had a lot of really good fourth-quarter performances too. They have won a lot of games.

They were due to have a good fourth period against the Lakers ... 30 points was good enough.

First, I agree with his post but he is making it sound like he predicted this to be a really close series and we should be beating the Lakers. This was his prediction before the series:

"Still, I think there is a much better chance of the series going five or seven games. If Houston wins one of the first two in LA, I'm thinking seven. If LA sweeps, I'm thinking five." [/SIZE]

How is this predicting a close series or expecting Rockets to win the first game in LA? He is basically covering ALL of his bases. I am also pissed that he acts as if we SHOULD be winning all these games and he EXPECTED us to win. Fact of the matter is, he has implied over and over that we are all delusional to expect the Rockets could win and go deep in the playoffs without TMac. He kept bringing up the example of when Yao went out last year and we continued playing great in regular season but got blown out in the playoffs. Now he isn't surprised at all the we trashed the almighty Lakers in in the first game in their home court?? Yea right! Off the bandwagon I say! :)

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Solomon is an idiot. He constantly bags on Battier at every opportunity, constantly talks about the past as if it matters, and constantly counts the Rockets out and then suddenly has a change of heart when the Rockets do well. Rest assured, if the Rockets do lose in this round, there will be an "I told you so" sort of post; if the Rockets win this round, there will be an "I knew they could do it" sort of post.

I wish he was fired instead of Fran.

3. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

right on... if the rockets lose, he will definitely point to his "prediction" again. And then try to make a point about how valuable TMac is. I am not angry at all that he doesn't give us a chance without TMac, I am angry that he pretends as if he saw all these wins coming. When he clearly called us delusional. I am now very curious as to what he will say IF we end up winning this series.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

um one of the first two? Adelman and the team are out for blood. The Lakers are the ones who should be scared because I can see this team fighting their way to take the first two. You don't cut Battier and nearly injury Yao and get away with it... nor do you get on Rick's bad side (Phil Jackson has more than sufficiently done this).

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

King Solomon, I hereby anoint thee Queen Jerome.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=164414

6. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Wait, noooo you are clearly lacking reading comprehension what he meant was we shouldn't be too excited and surprised right now at our level of play because we will trash the Lakers in LA in the first game of the second round. Yup that's what how he will spin err that's what he meant in that blog post.

haha he had few others where he kept bringing up Yao's absence last year and how we couldn't get past the first round without him and by the same reasoning shouldn't expect too much without TMac. BLEW UP IN HIS FACE, DIDNT IT?

Again, he should just admit that he didn't expect us to play so well in the post season and that this team is proving him wrong. But nooo, he is setting it up as if he expected us to win.. SERIOUSLY...

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I LOL'd. :D

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

wow.. I just read that part after your post. His gall.. I just sent a comment (doubt he will post it) to his latest post:

Hey guess what? Check out this blog post of yours.

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/03/big_night_for_rockets_not_that.html

Let me quote you the most interesting part:
    "All it would mean is the Rockets are unlikely to get swept out of the playoffs by the big boys. They'd probably win a home game or two."

YOU SHOULD BE THE ONE MOST SURPRISED. Stop jumping on the bandwagon and pretend as if you saw this coming.

Again, I don't mind him not picking us to do anything great in the playoffs heck a lot of fans including me didn't expect us to beat the Lakers in the first game but please don't pretend like he saw it coming and we were all dumb idiots for getting so pumped up.

9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

At the risk of "making excuses" for somebody else around here...

I've gone around the block a couple of times with Jerome Solomon myself. I don't find him to be unreliable. And I'm sure everybody must know by now that his whole "King Solomon" schtick is just that. A schtick.

Jonathan Feigen is one of those reporters who tells you that it's not his job to be a homer as a reporter. I think that's true of more reporters than we believe. They're an extension of the entertainment arm of the sports they cover in a lot of ways. There'd be no ESPN or talk radio if that wasn't true.

I just think that Solomon tries to be objective. He isn't as low-key with it as Feigen is, in my opinion.

I don't know if it's good to be the King or not...
    ...but I guess he''s good at what he does.

10. Eddie Johnson

Eddie Johnson Member

Solomon doesn't hold a candle to Feigen. Solomon is a gimmick, nothing more and nothing less, and it would be silly to take his columns seriously.

11. NBA Law

NBA Law Member

Solomon is a talentless hack when it comes to basketball. He doesn't know anything about basketball and if he does he had yet to express it into words. The fact that he writes for the only paper in town about basketball is evidence that life is not fair. Why God? Why??????

12. NBA Law

NBA Law Member

Can someone start a website to get Solomon fired? Really, someone else deserves that job. How many would work 70 hour weeks for that job.

How did this happen? Who runs the Houston Chronicle? They don't have basketball idiot writing for Portland or LA. Why???

How did the meeting go down where they decided to cut 20% of their staff and Solomon was not fired?

13. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Don't read his column if you don't like him.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have had my issues with him in the past but I think he gets it right here.....the Rockets are hard to figure, they are capable of beating anyone.

The weird thing is the Rockets record against teams over .500 is really good...telling me they have a lack in concentration when playing teams they perceive to be less than them....Paging Mr. Ron Artest...ehem...

But in the playoffs, they are playing hard every game......and that means better results.

The talent level of the Rockets is up there with anyone.....mostly because of their defense...

The Rockets would be in any series this year.....

DD

15. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

That's a funny signature.
    Betcha it's got a big 'ol asterisk on it....