1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luther: 7 for 30 3pt since old ball brought back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drexlerfan22, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

It's been 5 games. Anybody else a little concerned? I am.

2. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

he can't be hot all season. Plus once everyone is back in the rotation... he will have even more open looks. not worried.

I am more worried about Tmac.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not gonna be easy maintaining a 49% mark from 3-point land the entire year. Besides, he's still making them when they count. That three he hit against Chicago late in the 4th was huge.

Plus, if his long-range shooting abandons him, he can just start driving to the hoop and dunking all the time. :D

4. DMaster

DMaster Member

As of last night, we know Head can fly. Maybe he can make up those 3s with back to back dunks. lol.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm very concerned. He airballed at least two shots yesterday. Hope he isn't hitting the wall again.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

That's what I'm sayin' here... isn't the old ball heavier? I sorta wonder if that's why he's missing the mark. Or perhaps it's an issue with the grip?

Whatever it is, I wish he'd have at least ONE good 3pt day soon. His BEST since the old ball came back is 2-6... other than that it's three 25% nights and one 12.5% night. :(

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i knew this would happen b/c he was shooting a little too well with the microfiber ball.

8. knifejc

knifejc Member

Maybe part of the reason could be he's thinking too much about continuing his streak of consecutive games of hitting a three.

9. Roxer

Roxer Member

I only concern those air balls he shot last night, ;)

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Most of his misses have been contested and he has forced the shot a little bit. The scouting report is out and they are closing him out and really he should be putting the ball on the floor or passing it.

11. SunsRocketsfan

well i always thoguht this ball talk was kinda BS.. i know we aint anything close to the pros.. but anyone that has played some ball before plays with different balls and as long as its the same size and round you can play with it and shoot it. altho i do know some players have smaller hands like luther. so maybe he cant grib this ball as well since i have a official nba ball and its definately harder to grip or plam... but tmac seems to think otherwise. anyways hopefully he will get use to the new old ball and start shooting well again :)

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He is going to have to adjust just like Novak. The ball in college is very similar to the one they were using. I hope he can get out of the mini-slump from the 3 pt line because we are going to need him against some of our tougher opponents coming up.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If memory serves, after his air balls he started driving. Lay up, pass offs then 3s. Nice adjustment IMO.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

On the otherhand McGrady is shooting WAY better with the new ball...so I will take the trade off.

DD

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Exactly and Luther shot 40% last year with the old ball which isn't too shabby.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't think the ball has anything at all to do with it. cause i'm lazy what are his percentages the few games before the old ball came back?

jopatmc is probably right, defenses are adjusting to his shooting, it's time for him to adjust back.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I believe Tracy was shooting well with the composite ball right before the switch. His shooting came back with the treatment from Patterson, not with the change in balls. Unless my memory serves me wrong.

18. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Hopefully it's just taking him more time than most to get used to the change.

Hopefully within the week or so he will be used to the new ball, and his shot will be back.

Hopefully he's just trying to hard and having to force less-open shots with Yao out.

Hopefully...

19. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

It really has nothing to do with the ball

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

is it a result of a nagging (yet not severe) injury? that would make sense to me...