1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Ronnie Brewer had to say... I met him last night.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by txppratt, Jun 30, 2006.

1. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i live in utah and i was at a Salt Lake City bar - Green Street - last night. i was surprised to see the new jazz draft picks there!

sure enough, there was brewer, milsap, and dee brown!! all of them were pretty cool. milsap was definitely quiet. dee brown was very fan friendly.

i can talk nba better than 99% of casual fans, so i didn't hesitate to go up to their table and welcome them to utah and start talking to them. as you can imagine, i voiced my displeasure about the rockets and what they are doing. but just started shooting the breeze. regardless of what was said it was cool, but this is the part that pissed me off.

when the bar closed brewer was waiting for a cab outside so i took the time to follow up with him and just be nice. i guess he was waiting for milsap and brown to come out. i told when when i was watching the draft that i noticed he didn't seem that happy to at the draft. i was telling him to give utah and chance and all that blah blah blah.

brewer told me the rockets PROMISED him they would draft him @ #8. and that's why he was thrown off and was so worried. then he thought seattle would take him @ 10! after that he really was freaking out.

that pissed me off so bad. now granted, i don't know how all these deals are made or how the draft really works behind closed doors, but i couldn't help but be pissed at what he said.

why would the rockets promise him that? and i hope he has agreat career elsewhere. i hope he pulls a rashard on us. and yes i told him that we did that to rashard too.

lots of other things were said, but i don't have time to write it all.

thoughts?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I somewhat doubt this really happend.

3. askball

askball Member

well it's not like we picked Gay over Brewer.

we were picking for memphis and they wanted gay over brewer

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I really liked Ronnie Brewer. I think he's going to end up being a very good NBA player. Does he help us the first year or two as much as Battier will? Probably not ... but I think I'd be happier right now if Brewer was a Rocket. Oh well.

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

well it did. i don't really know what to say.

maybe you're saying that the rockets didn't promise him that? i guess that is possible. but he seemed pretty convincing to me.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

A promise from Carrol Dawson is worthless, as he's a old senile b*stard. He pulled the same sh*t with Rashard Lewis back in '98.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We effectively picked Battier over Brewer, though. I mean, if the Rockets liked Brewer so much, I just wished they could have taken him. Maybe I've just been on the Brewer bandwagon so long, that I'm not thinking rationally about it. He just seems like such a great fit for this team.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't see how the Rockets or any team can or would promise anything to any draftee, considering how much can change leading up to the draft and even when the team's on the clock (and afterward via trades). Even the team with the first pick might end up trading if the deal is right.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Little white lie. No one promised him nothing.

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

yeah i meant that the rockets told him that

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I agree. Adding Brewer to the roster and then somehow moving Swift OR Howard for a couple of role players makes more sense than getting Battier. Depth would be improved, and we'd at least have a freaking shooting guard.

The fact that we did the Rudy Gay deal was bad enough, but it's the way it handcuffs us in terms of filling out the roster is what REALLY kills me.

Rockets management had better pull some rabbits out of their ass this offseason. :mad:

12. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

Yeah I doubt the Rockets made him a promise especially when they knew a Top 6 prospect might fall to them.

13. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I also think it's unlikely that they promised Brewer that spot. They've made it clear that they wanted Roy, so if he fell to us we would've picked Brewer? hehe, no

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

they probably told him that there are 5 guys that they wanted (minus gay).. and if none of them are there then they pick him..

then memphis came along with an offer of battier for the pick..

its just weird why the rox mgmt will make a deal too early without knowing who the pick is..

at least let memphis wait.. its not like they're getting a steal with battier.. they should have waited after they made a pick.. they could have probably got better offers..

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the Rockets Draft strategy was
    1) Do what you can to secure Brandon Roy
    2) If that fails, draft one of the other "top guys" on the board (Foye, Thomas, Morrison, Shelden)
    3) If that fails look for a veteran player that can come in now and help (Battier)
    4) If that fails look for trade down options that can include a veteran in the trade down plus 1st rounder this year
    5) If that fails take the BPA at #8 which to them was Brewer.

Obviously they got to #3.

I like Brewer and I would have loved to have him on this team. I thought drafting Brewer and adding Mike James would have really helped this team. And in that scenario you still have Swift that you can trade for someone else.

Getting Battier also is going to help this team. But we didnt get enough assets back in the Gay trade which hurt us.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that I don't believe you, but they have bars in Utah. I thought everybody there stayed home with their wifes.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

He misunderstood - the Rockets promised to draft him at #32.

18. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Look at how hard he worked to get Stromile to come to Houston for less than he wanted to sign for. I wonder how Stromile feels about CD now that he's been discarded like yesterdays newspaper?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CD promises everyone he would draft them.

Tell Ronnie Brewer welcome to the NBA.....there are no promises without a signed contract.

DD

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

LOL

I feel him, I would be pissed too - if the rox promised him the 8th spot...