1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Delfino

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lytruc, Jun 2, 2006.

1. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

CARLOS DELFINO

He has become this season's Darko Milicic, a player with a lot of promise who has yet to fully tap into it because of a lack of playing time. The difference, however, is Delfino actually looks like he belongs on the floor when given minutes. There have been rumors that, once Detroit's season is over, Delfino will ask to be traded. It's nothing personal. He doesn't have beef with Joe D., the organization or Flip Saunders. He just wants an opportunity to play consistent minutes, and based on the fact that Maurice Evans will be here for at least another season and the fact that the Pistons want to start playing Amir Johnson some next season, Delfino may find himself once again buried on the Pistons bench. Like I said, don't be surprised to see him in another NBA uniform next season. -- Michigan Live

I wouldn't mind having this guy on our roster.

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

his stats from 05-06

MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    10.7 .403 .333 .672 .4 1.3 1.7 . 6 .31 .22 .53 1.30 3.6

3. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i've seen the guy play this year and i must say there is a reason he is sitting on the bench. he is what he is, a back up. if he could really play, they would find more time for him, period.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I saw that and hoped the #32 was a proper fit for a prospective rotation guy.

5. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Carlos Delfino can play, he proved it in the international competitions and if Andres Nocioni can do what he is doing in Chicago I can't see why Delfino who has a better feel for the game can't produce in the NBA; it's really a matter of oportunity, remember Mario Elie and others.

I hope the Rockets can somhow get him while his stock is currently low for a couple of second round picks.

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Delfino is a lot better player than his stats indicate. And Detroit has a history of underappreciating guys that go to other teams and immediately perform well recently (Mike James, Smush Parker, even Darko) so just because he doesn't get minutes there doesn't mean he isn't a player.

Delfino is an excellent defender. He is the best perimeter defender on Detroit. He's incredible in the open court and is a very good rebounder (which is a deadly combination when he gets a defensive board and starts a fastbreak all by himself). He's also a very good slasher.

What he isn't is a spot up shooter and that's pretty much what Detroit's offense has limited him to being and why his shooting numbers aren't that great (plus the fact he rarely gets a chance for steady minutes).

Most Pistons fans believe that not getting Delfino minutes and putting him in positions to succeed is the biggest (or one of the biggest) failure of Flip Saunders (who prefers Mo Evans even though he does nothing except hit the spot up three).

Delfino will be a starter somewhere during his career in the NBA.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Excellent defender??? I thought the reason he didn't get minutes under LB was because he was all offense, no defense?

8. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

LB says a billion different things and half of them are true.

Delfino was a rookie the year Brown was coach and did struggle at times with the transition and then Delfino got injured and Brown decided he would just rag on Carlos constantly at every opportunity for that transgression...

That said, Delfino played more for Brown, especially early in the season before his injury, than he did with Flip. Brown also said that Delfino would be a starter in the NBA before long.

Delfino really worked on his defense over the summer because he was ticked that his defense was picked on (Carlos came into Detroit with the reputation as one of the few Euro/foreign players who could play defense). He can play defense. He does get some seriously ticky-tacky fouls called on him, but those will dissipate once he gets playing time and the refs get used to him.

9. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I say take a chance on this guy. He's pretty athletic, i remember seeing a video of him dunking on a 7-footer in international play. He was a teammate of Ginobili in the Argentinian team that beat the US. 6'6-6'7, can handle little a bit, can shoot.

Oh and for those of you who bring up stats from last year or the year before, just look at Boris Diaw. I'm sure most of you thought he was a scrub when he was with the hawks. Most of you probably said "OH he doesnt even get minutes for a SCRUB team like the Hawks, he'll never play for us!!".

10. lalala902102001

I wouldn't mind picking him up if he comes cheap. We can always use a big guard on this team.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We need to add him, and Jay Williams, and Mike James a V-Span!! Then we'll be headed right to the top, baby!

12. drpepper

drpepper Member

spoken like a true prophet

13. compucomp

compucomp Member

Please don't try to imitate Vitale. He's annoying as hell and wrong most of the time. Heck, he even predicted that Jay Williams would be a lot better than Yao, we all see how that turned out. Speaking of Vitale, I'll enjoy watching his head explode when J.J. Redick drops like a rock in the draft.

About Delfino, I've heard that he will ask for a trade after the season. If the rockets can get him for next to nothing, like the Magic got Darko + Arroyo, then I think the Rockets should give him a flyer. He has potential and deserves a chance. Even Darko, who looked so bad for Detroit, has been playing pretty well.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If we can get him for a future lottery protected first round pick it would be good for us. He could be a useful backup.

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I wonder if Detroit would accept this year's #32 and a future 2nd for Delfino.

16. B-BallGuy

B-BallGuy Member

Who Knows, with Big Ben up for the extension they might want some cap relief and might just let him go for the smaller TE that we have. He's better than Bogans IMO and if we can get him than we don't need to resign Bogans which would cut into our MLE since we don't have his bird rights.